The Etiquette of Writing Letters

The Esrova Court

On Letter Writing, Intentions, and Layout

9o99mAwmE_RpMNCbkKze-zQogGIIXQZVixBbTSX6D-NX_6soQpzJvnDrjLJutr5F3azXrdw4nBvEnBJ_Z9CHU7PODxI-nuXAN7j8NjE7wjhQ0VPr7CQA7WOVeUgQwbnoKoRJmZgVAUS9uz7EZyMWgJU 

IqbGaoqHZ0Nch4K1cDI4jlh7WmyTy1lMghcXvnGPTpmM31yU0IvmnR4wTys_fjdmbrWjGkUBulPdtw9pqZUDnR2F4UwWq67VZ1Vu1CYWaN1szrNqI9mVJJb-swQbaBCVLYAXXdl76Na3AaeLYISN03c

UKEN VE KRAWN I ROZZ

Issued by the

OFFICE OF VE ESROVA KORT

On the 7th day of Vzmey ag Hyff of 481 E.S.

VA BIRODEO HERZENAV AG EDLERVIK,

Upon assigning tasks based around letter writing to the wards of the Morrivi Court, it has been brought to our attention that there appears to be some confusion surrounding the layout of a letter and how best to write one, depending on the intentions had. 

Below the previous work of Queen Isabel and her Court is credited, particularly the section on letter writing, which is greatly expanded upon for further education of our courts and Kingdom.

ON PREVIOUS WRITINGS

As referenced in Etiquette Reforms in the Royal Court of Hanseti-Ruska, Section II; Letters, published in 353 E.S. during the reign of Queen Isabel:

The art of composing a letter to anyone is a learned talent. Letters and calling cards are expected as a way of gratitude after a family has graciously hosted an event or dinner. Letters are also a way of solidifying courtship.

Those particular notes should be crafted mindfully with tone and word choice in mind. Handwriting should be clear, not too large and bold yet possessing some kind of character or style.

These written words still hold true to this day, and we encourage you to read the full section within those reforms from some time ago. Our reason, though, for writing further on this now is not to change what was written but only to expand upon it further; allowing an increased understanding as to the art that is letter writing.

THE LAYOUT OF A LETTER

The layout of a letter finds its basis in whether it is a formal or informal letter, alongside that of the topic you wish to touch on.

SALUTATIONS

In any letter, the first part seen is the salutations, of which may contain the names of both parties. Whether you would see the recipient or the sender's name and titles first is dependent upon the status of the recipient and the sender alike,

Below is an example, of a Count sending a letter to a Baroness:

The Right Honorable, Count of Oblong, Knight of the Realm and Defender of Haense and its vassals gives his greetings to Her Ladyship, Baroness of the Righthood, Ambassador to Petra -

This, above, is an example of a formal letter - One where the sender is of higher ranking then the recipient and the sender has not spoken to or sent a letter to the recipient previously. 

If the Count in question instead wished to flatter the Baroness, even if he had not met her previously, it would be written in a way such as this, allowing for a petition based subject instead:

To the inspiring Baroness of the Righthood, Her Ladyship, justful Ambassador to the Petra from the Right Honorable, Count of Oblong, Knight of the Realm and Defender of Haense and its vassals, greetings-

The difference in this introduction is that, compared to the first, it speaks of the perceived virtues of the recipient, despite their lower status - and by listing them first, offers flattery. This is why more often than not, you would see something petitioned afterwards, as a compliment is offered before the request.

There are a total of four introductions, the formal neutral, which was listed in the first example above. This lists the higher statused sender first, with no form of flattery within the letter. The second type is formal good, this being where you go for flattery, in which the lower statused recipient is listed first. Each of these can have subsections to it, which can change the letter and its intentions with but a few changes of layout.

Formal neutral, though, stays just as that with no subsections as it what one would call truly formal.

Under formal good, though, there are a few choices. You may choose in such phases of politeness to list the higher statused individual first, which in this example is you, the Count - With virtuous words used towards the recipient as a form of a flattery meant not to come on too strong, when the recipient is listed second. Another choice is to do as in the example; listing the lower statused recipient first with virtuous words or you may choose not to use virtuous words at all. Each of these three subsections are a form of flattery, often used before making a request, or that of a petition.

The other two levels of politeness for introductions that have not been listed yet are on informal letters. In this instance, our example changes, though this time the Count and the Baroness are old friends, those who have spoken and written previously and have known each other for quite some time.

Some examples may be given below for reference:

My dear Lady Anabel, -

Or

My Lady, -

Shorter, sweeter and friendlier are these examples above. Should they be used on someone you are not close with, however, it may constitute a great offense. The first example will be kept to the theme of naming and be dubbed as informal good. This in particular boasts several details of note in this short but sweet sentence. It uses the Baroness’s first name, Anabel, and refers to her informally as ‘Lady’ versus that of ‘Baroness’. Additionally, the word ‘dear’ is used beforehand, denoting a close friendship and a care for the recipient.

In opposition, is simply ‘My Lady’, which shall be under the informal neutral manner. The sender and recipient are friendly enough to warrant using informal letters, but are not close enough to exchange words as is used in the other example above. The Count refers to her as ‘Lady’, an informal term versus that of ‘Baroness’, with some denotion to their friendship as he also uses the word ‘My’.

ON WELL-BEING

This next part of the letter is not as interchangeable as the section soon to be touched on; petition, may be, as this section is generally expected to keep up any friendship (in the case of an informal letter) or to keep the recipient in a good mood (in the case of a formal letter).

This section of the letter oftentimes sees the sender wishing the recipient good health, prosperous fortune or otherwise. What should be included in this section is more often than not up to the sender, but it should have basis in the intention of the letter. 

Should this be a formal letter, you’d find the example below fitting:

I have heard news of your recent pursuits in your Ambassadorial duties within Petra and commend them highly. The news on the recently made Pact of the Petrine Crow has spread far and wide, leaving the people in great cheer, which I pray you are much the same. Upon reading your work, I can only hope to hear more in the future.

This, as you can see above, is formal while still offering an amount of flattery to put the recipient into higher spirits. Naturally, of course, for letters more of a discourse type nature - This example can be written differently, in which you are not aiming to put them in any sort of mood, or are even wishing to set them into something more foul. More often than not, though, you shall find yourself checking on their well-being.

In another example, you would use this when requesting something from someone; in which a petition is followed afterwards. In this instance, more often than not, you would expect to see someone quoting a proverb about how noble or generous they are, being followed by requesting something:

Your noble pursuits have shown to give freely and yet gain even more - for a generous person such as yourself prospers, refreshing others and thus being refreshed. Such generosity has been noticed in the recent Pact of the Petrine Crow which has spread far and wide, rejuvenating to the people's ears and offering hope for the future.

The example above is formal, yet uses flattery, proverbs and speaks of their noble pursuits, their generosity and just how refreshing it is. When reading this, anyone can tell it is leading up to a request, a petition within the letter written. With that of informal letters, it is a different story in which you may more simply check on their well-being, without as much use of proverbs, flowery language or otherwise, an example of such below:

I hope I write to you of well-mind and health, and that of your family. I’d heard of the pact made with Petra and am happy to see you prospering under your new position!

It can be longer, shorter or otherwise but the example gets the point across. It checks in on her health and even that of her family’s, and comments on how she must be prospering as he mentions having heard of the Pact made - a sign of a job well done.

ON NARRATION

This next part is where the actual purpose of the letter is expounded upon, in which the sender may speak of their family, difficulties they had at home, relay certain information or otherwise.

Below is an example of formal good narration in letter writing:

It is that of the aforementioned future that troubles me so. The yield of the crops this year has been low and famine high, in which your noble pursuits of the Pact of the Petrine Crow may offer the people much needed respite. How they suffer so, seeking the generosity of a noble individual such as yourself, to allow their bellies to be full and hearts warm.

With a narration such as this, it would likely be followed by a petition which will be touched on in a later section. The narration in question touches on several things: that trouble has been had in the lands of which the Count writes from, and that the trouble is based around food - by mention of the Pact, one can gather that there was likely some mention of trade in the pact that would benefit the people in question.

Following this, though, is another example in which you would find an informal narration:

I wish things were just as prosperous back home but alas; the food stock has been dwindling due to famine, and I find myself scouring the markets for but a crumb -

This is kept relatively informal, and with how it is written, it would be followed by a petition.

ON PETITIONS

This part of the letter may be omitted entirely if your letter does not include a request, it can also include pleas, admonishments or otherwise, depending on the intent of the letter in question. In order to keep with the examples given above, we’ll continue in the base of a Count writing a letter to a Baroness.

Below is an an example, keeping to the formal good style we have been discussing:

I beg of you in this instance to send even a portion of what was gained in the trade deal made within the Pact of the Petrine Crow so that the people may be renewed, and filled with food to their heart's content - for this famine may continue for some time, and only your generous nature shall stave off further ruin.

The example above is a request, in keeping with the flattery and intentions of the letter being written - It plays on the recipient's good nature, speaks of the trouble of others, and is worded in a way so as to sweet-talk them into receiving the petition in question.

Intentions, though, can make or break a letter. 

Even with the flattery used previously, this part can be changed to be of a threatening nature, as exemplified below:

And yet, it is with that same nobility and that same reputation that has preceded you with the making of the Pact of the Petrine Crow - one that would not be had without the aid of myself. Pay heed to what I demand, munitions as agreed upon within the Pact are to be sent henceforth to the people here.

The example above has altered the tone and intentions of the letter entirely, however keeping still with the formal good manner of writing letters - while putting forth a threat to the Baroness from the Count.

ON CONCLUSIONS

Considered primarily as the last part of the letter, which is true and yet not at the same time, this section collates the letter’s message, states goodbyes, expresses well-wishes, or if one is maintaining a threatening tone, states the consequences of ignoring your petition.

Keeping to the previous examples of a formal good letter, this is an example of a conclusion that may be had:

There is no more to you at this time, for I hope this letter finds you well and that we may speak further in due time. I imagine, though, that I will hear word of your generous actions long before I receive such a letter back. I pray for you at this time, for your good health, and for your continued success, offering GODspeed and GODbless as I bid you my farewell.

This brings us nearly to the end of the written letter, in which further well-wishes are expressed - prayers and flattery alike; all of which keep to the tone and intentions of the letter that is to be sent. Subsequently, following conclusions are that of signatures and a date, so as to show that the letter is authentic. A date or location need not always be separate if it is included in the conclusion of the letter itself. The date of which this is written is more often than not at the top of the letter itself, the signature at the bottom alongside a notation as to where the letter was written, so a response might be penned in turn.

To further ensure authenticity, as one wishes to prevent the potential of letter forgery, the letter upon its conclusion shall be folded and stamped with wax, before the personal or familial seal of the sender - based on the intent of the letter - is imprinted into the wax. The wax seal is of great importance, as it is a way of showing identity and proving just who has sent the letter; signed signature or not.

LETTER EXAMPLES

An example of a formal good letter written by Queen Sofia, based upon the example detailed previously, a Count contacting a Baroness is written below. Petitioning is used, alongside flattery in this example:

To the inspiring Baroness of the Righthood, Her Ladyship, justful Ambassador to the Petra from the Right Honorable, Count of Oblong, Knight of the Realm and Defender of Haense and its vassals, greetings.

Your noble pursuits have shown to give freely and yet gain even more - for a generous person such as yourself prospers, refreshing others and thus being refreshed. Such generosity has been noticed in the recent Pact of the Petrine Crow which has spread far and wide, rejuvenating to the people's ears and offering hope for the future.

It is that of the aforementioned future that troubles me so. The yield of the crops this year has been low and famine high, in which your noble pursuits of the Pact of the Petrine Crow may offer the people much needed respite. How they suffer so, seeking the generosity of a noble individual such as yourself, to allow their bellies to be full and hearts warm.

I beg of you in this instance to send even a portion of what was gained in the trade deal made within the Pact of the Petrine Crow so that the people may be renewed, and filled with food to their heart's content - for this famine may continue for some time, and only your generous nature shall stave off further ruin.

There is no more to you at this time, for I hope this letter finds you well and that we may speak further in due time. I imagine, though, that I will hear word of your generous actions long before I receive such a letter back. I pray for you at this time, for your good health, and for your continued success, offering GODspeed and GODbless as I bid you my farewell.

An example of a informal neutral letter by Lady Karyna:

To My Lady, Karina Ludovar

I do hope this letter finds you in good health. It has been some time since we have spoken and I wished to reach out as  a means of catching up in these dire times. I hope that all is well within the Family of Ludovar.

Perhaps at some point, should you be available, we could meet for tea or hot cocoa. GOD knows we need to keep friends near when times are tough. I look forward to your response, may GOD bless you and your family, farewell.

IV JOVEO MAAN

Her Royal Majesty, Sofia of Hyspia, Queen-Consort of Hanseti and Ruska, Princess of Hyspia, Princess-Consort of Bihar, Dules, Lahy, Muldav, Slesvik, Solvesborg, and Ulgaard, Duchess-Consort of Carnatia, and Vanaheim, Margravine-Consort of Korstadt, Rothswald and Vasiland, Countess-Consort of Alban, Alimar, Baranya, Graiswald, Karikhov, Karovia, Kaunas, Kavat, Kovachgrad, Kvasz, Markev, Nenzing, Siegrad, Torun, Toruv, Valdev, and Werdenburg, Viscountess-Consort of Varna, Baroness-Consort of Astfield, Buck, Esenstadt, Kraken’s Watch, Kralta, Krepost, Lorentz, Rytsburg, and Thurant.

Her Ladyship, Anabel Elia Colborn, Keeper of the Book of House Colborn, Royal Scribe

Her Ladyship, Karyna Rezalin Colborn, Ward to Queen Sofia

Edited by The Morrivi Court