But I shall not falter.

But I shall not falter...

483 E.S.
Valdev, Haense.

The bard finished his oath before the statue of Saint Karl. He stood up, and with Sergeant Ileana Kortevich's dismissal, he left.

"But I shall not falter..." He kept repeating to himself, passing through the streets of Valdev. Arriving at Lafz IV, he opened the door to be greeted with an empty kitchen, and sleeping wife and son. He sighed "But I shall not falter..." He repeated, and walked over to a cabinet. The elf reached for a bottle of Carrion Black, and unscrewing the cork he gave a nostalgic smile...

==================================================================================

477 E.S.
Karosgrad, Haense.

The bard stood in his kitchen, donning an initiate uniform, a bottle of Carrion Black in his hand. He glanced over to his lute, giving a last nod to the old instrument that served him for so many years. "I'll see you again, old friend." He offered one last smile, and headed out.

Outside, he looked down at the bottle. It barely had anything in it, but the bard lifted it to his lips and drank the last drops. He set the bottle down in front of his door, a last sign of his time spent there.

A few hours later...

The Tordove stood upon that wall, at the huge crossbow. Beside him stood his brother, loading the bow, and another man.
"LOAD!" He yelled, and so his brother did. "AIM!" And so the other man did. "FIRE!" And so the bard did, aiming for the dreadknights climbing the wall.

THUMP. It hit. The dreadknight stopped. Nothing. It looked about, and continued climbing the walls.

"GET DOWN FROM THE WALLS!" Yelled an officer, and so the three did. His brother ran on the roofs, while the bard ran through the city.

In another hour...

The bard stood in the street, surrounded by Mori legionnaires. They moved past him, like ants around a boulder too large to climb.

"So this is your so-called Champion of Valor? This runt?" The Commander spat in disgust, eyeing the bard and another man.

"Leave. This is not your battle to fight." The bard, unarmored and holding a simple longsword, said to the man standing before Nakaas.
"No." The man simply stated. A minute later, he lay there in pieces, slain like cattle.

Outside of Karosgrad...

The bard sighed, throwing his trusty longsword into the fires engulfing the city. Kicking a rock out of the way, he slowly walked off to prepare.

==================================================================================

414 E.S.

Karosgrad, Haense.

The boy walked into the city, bruises all across his body. He was cold.

A man on a horse came up to him, and asked him "Kid, what are vy doing out here? Vyr not from around here, right?"
The boy gently nodded. He was shy.
An elven woman rode into town at that moment, and stopped, noticing the bruised child "Hm, is everything alright?" She hummed, and the boy shook his head. He was still cold.

A couple minutes later...

"Sit down." She hummed, and pointed to a bed. She looked over to the man "Boil some water. Please."

The boy, out of instinct, sat down next to the bed, and onto the floor. The woman shook her head "On the bed, I mean."
"But-" He was cut short "I said sit, my back is bad enough as is."
He gently nodded, and sat on the bed...

478 E.S.
Refugee camp, Savoy.

The man stood there, awaiting the Mori troops. Seeing them, he stood out in front of the others.
"NAKAAS! Commander of the Mori legionnaires! I call thee out for a duel!" No response came, except for a couple arrows. The brave Brothers of Brev eyed him down, and simply stated "Go back to camp, we'll hold them off. Don't kill yourself kid."

And so the bard did, he went back to the ruined town.

A couple hours later...

The Mori surrounded the town, quickly surging in from everywhere. The front gate, the back gate, over the walls, even through the sewers.

The bard followed the others into the Underdark, for he knew better than to fight...

483 E.S.
Valdev, Haense.

The bard opened the back-door, and walked out into the small, shared garden. He was at peace now, as he opened the bottle. Taking off his beret as he sat down, he gently placed it down next to him, before sipping on the Carrion Black. Undisturbed and after a few sips, he put the bottle down, the beret on his face, and his head against the wall. He took a quick nap...

415 E.S.
Elysium.

The boy walked into the house, guided by the pregnant woman. "S-so this is where you live?" He asked, hiding in the doorway.
"Yes, this is the place." The woman nodded.
The boy looked around, too afraid and shy to go in and explore the house. He looked to the little couch at the corner of the room, gently went over there, and sat down "I guess this is where sleep, right?"

The woman only nodded, and motioned for him to come look around. As they did, they went to a small bedroom, where the woman said "This'll be for my daughter, she'll be born in a little bit." The boy looked a little disappointed, but nodded, and continued on with the woman. Now, she led him to a larger bedroom. "This is where me and my husband sleep. Don't really come in here unless you want something." The boy nodded again, and the woman sent him upstairs.

He laid there on the couch, uncomfortable but tired, and he slowly drifted to sleep...

429 E.S.

Graveyard, Elysium.

The young man sat there, emotionless at the freshly filled grave.
"Why... why did I have to-..." He did not finish the sentence. Not then, not later, not ever. It was too hard. Maybe on his deathbed he'll finish it, he thought.

He looked at the headstone, on it written 'In loving memory of Anamion.'
"Wh-why now... why her? Why not me?" He quietly asked, on the verge of tears. He leaned in, and whispered to the fresh grave. What he said then is only known to him and the little girl, and it shall likely stay that way 'till death comes to take him.

483 E.S.

The palace, Valdev, Haense

The Footman stood before his wife, facing his brothers and sisters in arms. "But I shall not falter..." He muttered once more.

The Marshall called upon the new Footmen, and the bard responded, and walked up to him. The Marshall offered each one of them a glass of Carrion Strong, which the bard took, raised above his head, and yelled 
"KRUSAE ZWY KONGZEM!" Before downing the Carrion.

He returned to the ranks, and sneaked another bottle of Carrion out of the barrels, for no-one would notice. Proud of himself, he waited out the ceremony, cheering for his Brothers and Sisters.

At home...

They arrived home. Finally, the day was over, his duties fulfilled, and his wife proud of him.
"Today we drink, and care not for tomorrow! Today we celebrate, and care not for the money!" He cried at home, holding his wife in his arms with a smile...

But I shall not falter... No, not if the skies above fall on me. I shall not falter.
For I never faltered, through rain and storm,
through drought and desert, I never faltered.
For without parents, without love, I did not falter.
In despair, I did not falter, I never faltered.
For if I do falter, I prove them right.
For if I do falter, I shall I let my family down.

But I shall never falter.

Spoiler

OOC now!

Wow was this a doozy to write! I created this character more than a year ago now, and the events described here all happened on the server with actual players. Yes, it made my cry writing it, and yes, I know it made some of you cry while reading it.

Thank you, player, for reading my silly post, and thank you for the rep. It means a lot to me, and this character is the one closest to my heart.
I would also like to thank all the players that interacted with him and gave me so much amazing (and not so amazing) RPs.

This ain't a PK post, don't worry, just a show of thanks and a small summary of the most influential, and not so influential moments I had with him in a whole year and a little more!