The Ngaruera Seed | The Wavemen

Burnsider

opgwZ6yQtBXcA3Ja96rdlOgrFsRXSIloiib5lcZBQSWmj7PJVeem-vo8p1MGuDgWJipcySP78V0CJAtnDwdgtBrHuwee3H0NX0Ef6KnWfPrwLr5rsGYthFBQHelJOMCrbiKMb8MMcu7HrQ4-1f-L4V4

The Wavemen

f8_T88mnfqxLM3zcgJRGbv5wKmPEJd3RVfcSRdZrqoGZRTynb-S8sMaGMglM8Kezpi7bG03hnPqux5e5YUesebQVYD3wwAC0yEk34aEIQZIQ4c8dvGqmfu2VCep1adscx9YLJmWKGylnyhWDLxm4vHg

“Amidst the ocean’s rhythmic dance we sail, where stars above and wave below prevail.

We Mali’ame, wavemen strong and true, bound by mani, our voyage we pursue.”

0wpkC0C4HCtqnEiHOdFjE7oIIQTXYnqvZyndlWmHA4de5Cvwk2r3CKwzNWVVWNn6YykmFUiVStphCMuZoLb4HzTDA9TPI8Tz3Hd-s35fc1e037JR3U2qFI9-2icZIqqcFWChogo2FYjBwY2aJpKJJg0

Art by Matt Lara

The currents of Sequana led the Wavemen’s canoe to a new island, which they named Taroa. It was an as yet untamed land, and not suitable for the Wavemen. Their leader, Nagatori, warned the canoe away from landing until he had tamed its Mani. He took a smaller canoe to the island and set it upon the shore. There, he called upon the Mani of the island to come to him. Two appeared. The first, Vao, was the Mani of the Winds upon Taroa. The other, Po, was the Mani of the Tide that moved to and from Taroa’s shores. They told Nagatori that he was not welcome upon the island and to return whence he came.

Yet, as always, Nagatori was cunning, and he bargained with the Mani. “Tell me what I must do,” he said, “in order to prove that I am worthy to rest my head upon this land.”

“There is nothing you have or can do that would help you, Wave-Tamer,” the Mani replied. “If you do not depart from these shores, we shall withhold from you the cool breeze and your skin will bake. If you do not depart from these shores, we shall pull back the tide and the fish will be prevented from coming to the shallows.”

Nagatori raised his hands in a gesture of friendship. “Surely, beings of such manum as yourselves can do all that you promise. But you do not know the power I wield and that I am more powerful than you. Do what I say, let my people land on these shores and live upon and from the land, and I will do no harm to you.”

“You have no power over us,” the Mani laughed.

“Then let me prove my manum to you,” he pleaded. “Set upon me a challenge. Ask me a question that no man could answer.”

The Mani scoffed. “Very well. No man has ever been allowed on these shores and so, no man has ever known our names. If you can tell us our names, we will let you and your people stay.” And with that, Po turned into a fish and swam away, and Vao turned into a monkey and scampered away.

Nagatori began to work and fashioned rod, line, and hook. He placed the rod into the sand on the beach, the hook in the water, and then hid in the trees. Po came to investigate the hook, but Vao scampered onto the beach, yelling “Watch out, Po! The man is trying to catch you!” So, Po swam away, but Nagatori learned the name.

In the same way, he fashioned a snare and placed a banana as bait, then hid amongst the rocks. As Vao roamed close to investigate, Po shouted out from the sand bar, “Vao, watch out! The man is trying to catch you!” So, Vao scampered away, but Nagatori learned the name.

The next day, Nagatori found the Mani resting on the beach and he called them out with their names. They turned in wonder. “But how did you know?”

Nagatori laughed. “I told you that I had much manum, but you did not believe me. Indeed I have far more manum than you, for I know your names and you cannot tell me mine.” And indeed, Po and Vao knew it not.

Nagatori smiled and told them, “Since I have proven my manum, not only will you allow us to live here, but you will also give us the cool breeze daily, Vao, and bring much fish in on the tide, Po.” The two Mani agreed and the deal was struck, and so Nagatori settled with his family upon the shores of Taroa.

iepX6649XC7FJC8vzxoyQBIkQD2alolXtuXfwuVhNvaL9jxNdNixP3MFjWQ_6p5hH9XvKXy-jsI0Hsps-D2kivqU-1R3UDCwpjS1hfkI4pWV9kCsf0CJorDRtwRlkNO_-QpDZn_TdvzMRcgqhDddKpk

ZiR9cv3wDo6v8dRDFPw1-SI8IvufdhktyTh6kQMZhAtCnyLdGSRZ3q2j9UVASxO__wlSYgSI49SnIPDPmGBhpkTqA3sQiBp_PGEcfhVAcnPiVlYV7sjA9soQwMLX0e6uPVVD4A9eaiduGLYoTecgAvI

“Voyaging through Aotearoa” from The National Library of New Zealand 

Background

The Ngaruera seed is new to Aevos, but originated from a long established culture of seafarers, divers, and fishermen in isles far from shore. The Ngaruera ride the waves on their narn’mataliarme, which are large, twin-hulled ocean-faring canoes. These canoes are captained by established linannilers, or wayfinders, adept at navigating by the current and the stars. As wavemen of the ocean, the Ngaruera devote themselves to the the three cetacean Mani: Sequana, Stalashaan, and Hamatsa. Together, the seed embodies the following pillars:

Seek Always Adventure

Act with Courage

Live with Passion

Respect the Calm

Embrace your Destiny

Manum

The Ngaruera are deep believers that each being and each place is endowed with a certain amount of manum. The definition of manum is difficult to place into a single word, but it can mean at times power, strength, authority, influence, status, and dignity. A being can gain manum from his ancestors, his deeds, his inherent power and strength, his position in society, and any number of different ways. Just as it is possible to gain manum, so too is it possible to lose it. A being or place’s manum is sacred to them, and to purposefully or negligently take manum away from someone or someplace else is reason enough for violence. For this reason, a Waveman will always take his shoes off at another’s dwelling, so as not to taint a place’s manum with the foul places he may have tread. A Waveman will also wash his hands as he leaves a place, so that any manum he may have accidentally gathered from that place will be left there.

Dagrannyern,  the ‘War Dance’

Before physical combat or during moments of great emotional purpose or turmoil, the Wavemen participated in the Dagrannyern, or the ‘War Dance.’ This ceremonial performance used the whole of the body, hands, arms, legs, feet, eyes, and tongue to express the manum of the performer and the importance of the event. Often accompanied by chants or dramatic cries and grunts, the entire body would seemed to shimmer and vibrate as the dance continued. This vibration was meant both to mimic the quivering appearance in the air on extremely hot days on the ocean, and also to show the performer’s mastery over his muscles.

Welcoming Ceremony

As Wavemen from different islands came upon one another’s shores, an elaborate ritual in three parts began to take shape. This ritual, now more ceremonial than practical, was meant to convey the intentions of the parties upon meeting. The people on the arriving canoe would begin with the Song of Arrival, a melodious telling of who they were and why they were traveling. Often elaborate and highly personal in the most important of situations, a simple song has been adopted for more common use:

We are voyagers

Summoned by the Mani

Of this mighty ocean to come

We take up the good challenge

We understand the ways of the sea

We look to the stars and other signs

To find our way, to find new lands

To make our home

In response, from those who welcomed the newcomers, came at least one Dagrannyern, but often several, performed by powerful people from the new island. This would symbolize the power of the place and the people that would be wielded against the newcomer should they steal any of the manum there while they were guests. If both parties found the other agreeable, the would come together, lean their heads close to each other, and breathe heavily, performing the Exchange of Breath in friendship and welcome.

Weapons and Clothing

For lifetimes, the Wavemen lived on small islands and on their narn’mataliarme, unable to conceive of the great and mighty works in the cities of other Mali. Their weapons and clothing were marked by this rustic existence and, even today, with the wealth of Aevos open to them, they still embrace this part of their rustic roots. Wavemen clothing is made from woven grass, reeds, and flax. A special article of clothing was a cape of woven feathers. This cape was worn only by those of importance or those with much manum, and usually only for ceremonies of special significance. Their weapons are made of jade, a form of greenstone found on the islands, along with wood and whalebone. Their most iconic weapon is the Aelanah’wy, a close-quarters staff with a flat, wide surface on one end for blunt strikes and a sharpened stabbing end on the other.

I9mMIY0uXXoKg1n-EbqA44iQ5wkt55qFXBqB9SitnJeQzeQN4uQeqMXwb4jQ3NZncYkkEGiTu2OEhh-cQ6hRUfBDeOsXR-fgacDi30IYUkpkD5WWEobsjGJsBzcMC9LgZ7jNnSmr14-p-nqoJ95ll64

Art by Matt Lara

lRq7TsFVbFQc79e7Kk64OoT67SYGYPqadWk-UXYOWt3oRZSHECVqvXdAvN54YL9t318mjEbe3idtWSfCftnNqxoYGYK4gXF3Mq0kCuEA60zH29Drn1f4GMFAkofzRvmeBUDukTX9foUO1Rtwq0GOAy0

Trial of Sequana

Sequana is the Mani of the ocean in its entirety. By his currents are the wavemen carried on their great journeys. This is true both on the sea and in life. In this trial, an aspirant to the Ngaruera Seed must let the current of life carry him for a year and a day, traveling the world to discover and learn more about the world and himself. In the wilds, he will learn to seek out adventure, but also to recognize the pull that destiny has upon him.

Trial of Stalashaan

Stalashaan is the Mani of the ocean’s chaos and turbulence. By his power do the waves rise high and the maelstroms draw down deep. A Waveman must master this chaos, both without and within. An aspirant to the Ngaruera Seed must show his passion to his companion, gathering together a war party to take part in a whale hunt, where he will learn to steel his courage and stare the beast down as he casts his harpoons into the great animal.

Trial of Hamatsa

Hamatsa is the Mani of the ocean’s calm and tranquility. By her power does the ocean lay at rest, offering supreme peace, but also the deadly duldrums. A Waveman must understand this peace and tranquility and respect that it is both a blessing and a curse. An aspirant to the Ngaruera Seed must sail to a place where no land is in sight. There, they must seek out and witness the Witchfire alight upon the mast during a storm at sea. The true test lies in maintaining calmness and tranquility amidst the tempestuous weather. As the winds howl, and the waves rise, the aspirant must harness their inner serenity to navigate through the storm without losing focus or being overwhelmed by fear. They must read the signs of the sea, interpret the patterns of the weather, and trust their instincts to find the elusive and ethereal Witchfire.

"Could it be? The Acal'anti have returned? Though their ships are ne of painted sails, and I see ne cihis of gold... We shall see if the dream of lost Acal'anti ring true. Sleeping prophet! Bring us your vision! May these, champions of Ankruz know the mystery well!" The piratical elven hoplite awaits on his caravel with the lads, just in case!