The End of a Bull [PK POST]

MissToni

Casimir Marius Vilac looked over the parchment in his hand, sealed with the brazen bull of his Sister-In-Law's house. His eyes flew over the inscribed words, a thunk echoed in his room, as the dragon-headed cane, fell to the ground beside him. His injured leg began to shake and ache. Years without fighting. Years without standing on his own feet. Casimir's hand moved to his face, closing his agape jaw and brushing off a tear.

The eldest Vilac never knew the Baroness well. Only in passing had the two met, during balls and during the promotion to the Barony of Valio. And still, he wept. He knew that oh so terrible feeling of losing a parent, only this time, It was permanent.
"August, Gwen, Reu.. I am sorry." He muttered to himself. His mind turned to his brother, August. Casimir knew how deep August Vilac loved and he saw it in every one of his children as well. "I am sorry August." He muttered once more

There was the faintest latching of the door as the wizard bustled across the threshold of her home, groceries in hand and children in her arms. She chattered amiably towards the nanny as the dutiful woman sought to relieve her burden, and yet .. There was a grimness in the air. In the tightness of her mouth.
Nesrin glanced to the table, where a letter sat open. Her eyes scanned the contents of it, and her features turned quite ashen. She rushed up the stairs in search of her own Kortrevich, with words of comfort and tea following soon after. 

Fabian, the final triplet to bear his family's name - the last of his siblings to live as a Kortrevich - sat quietly. Asleep in his bed was Irena, the heiress, the Baroness of Koravia - asleep on the couch was his own son, his Leonid. In the next week their lessons would begin; but for now they mourned, wrapped in the warmest blankets he had, protected by his hand and his watch. 

"I hope vyr laughing, Illy," he murmured. "I hope vy found some peace." - "She'll niet know vyr burdens, sestra. Give mea best to all ve family, up there."

Across the continent in Balian, the grim letter arrived to the Barony’s doorstep. She heard the news from her eldest son, Casimir. Persephone had not known her second son Augusts first wife, she had been missing during the time. Ileana, she had seen only as a blur in her white pupils, and a calm voice to her ears. She had not known the woman well, hardly at all. She merely treasured the little gifts that Ileana brought into this world. With the assistance of a scribe, the woman sent August Vilac a letter. “My child, if ever there was a time to lean on your old pater and mater for help, now is the time. You can hold no illusion that raising so many children alone will be easy. Gwendel and I may be old and senile, but we have all the love in our hearts to give where Ileana’s passing may leave bare.” @TotallyNotSaint

For the sake of her family's well-being, Augustina kept a brave face, yet the news of her beloved friend's passing had struck her like no other. The late Baroness had been the very reason Augustina had a family of her own, and it was Ileana that stuck by the painter's side when she had no one else to turn to.

She peered at her son, her beautiful Leo, soundly sleeping on the couch. She turned to Fabian thereafter, and upon meeting his gaze, Augustina quietly wept.