Leofric of Malinsham, On Death.

St Paul Preaching to the Ancient Britons | Art UK

LEOFRIC OF MALINSHAM

Sermon for First Vespers of Saint-King Raedwald

TRANSLATED FROM OLD CHURLISH BY EDMOND OF LISIEUX

ON DEATH.

Historical Notes

About the Author: Saint Leofric of Malinsham was appointed royal assistant-Priest to the first Auverginian King of the Churls, Philippe I (King Offa II according to the Churlish name he adopted), in 1205. He was an extremely prolific author and preacher, and is one of the most famous names in Churlish literature. He did much to foster mutual love between the Auvergnes and Churls, most notably by meeting with the Canonist Bishop of that region and obtaining on behalf of King Philippe a licence to offer the Priestly sacrifices prescribed by the Churlish religion. This ensured that Philippe was able to both remain a Canonist and fulfill the role of Priest-King of the Churls.

About the Feast: The Feast of King Raedwald is one of the principal feasts of the Churlish calendar. It commemorates King Raedwald (d.920.) Raedwald is considered the ideal of the Churlish warrior: fatalistic, honourable, merciful, wise and pious. Raedwald was brought up at the royal palace under effectual house-arrest by the pagan Elf-Priests who at that time tyrannised the land. But, breaking with three hundred years of precedent and when it seemed the Churlish cause was lost, he broke out of house arrest and united himself to Saint Benedict. They defeated the Heathen Army at the Battle of Malinsham, and re-established the Churlish religion, monarchy and liberty.

The words of this sermon, or the last two paragraphs, are frequently read when the Churl Men take their fathers' shields at the age of 13 and formally become warriors. 

What were Alfred's military achievements? | Britannica 

HERE STANDETH SAINTE RAEDWALD

KINGE AND HERO OF THE CHURYLES

PERMIT NOT OUR COUNTRIE NOR THE RAYCE OF MENNE TO WANTE OF SUCHE SOUYLES

"O, dear sons and daughters of Horen, of Hengst, of Raedwald, what a joy has to come to us on this feast! Of it I wish you every joy and every grace, that this sacred liturgy may plant a seed in your hearts, that may be reaped for an eternal harvest. For we say not: what great things the Saints have done, but what great things God hath done in His Saints! Thus it is God who reveals Himself as the principal author of holiness. So I say that, if God could work greatness in the hearts of Men in ages past, there is no reason why he cannot raise up a thousand thousand Raedwald's in our own time, and He would, if we desire and ask for it, for He is unfathomably generous to the soul that seeketh His face. 

What shall I say? No words would suffice to speak of the subject that is demanded of me. So I shall dwell on but one aspect of his life and character. And that is his battle-cry: "Death!" Which he gave at the Battle of Malinsham, the greatest victory ever won by the Sons of Men in their whole history. 

Raedwald was king only in name when he was elected by the Elfish Witan. It had been this way for over two centuries, and so no king had exercised his own power for generation upon generation. For the king to act, to move, to be what he is, was as strange to Man and Elf of that time as if the sky were not blue, or the sun did not shine in the morn. But Raedwald knew his vocation - his calling from God - which was to be truly king, priest and father to his race. And he would undertake it even if he was convinced it must fail. He placed His faith in the Rewarder of Virtue and the One who sees all. As Hengst went out against Churlsbane of old, ready to either render his soul to God in trust of His mercy, or have the victory, so was Raedwald. No earthly hope could sustain his courage, for he was ready to die and die only was what he was convinced would happen. But he would rather die honourably than live dishonourably. And so he escaped the clutches of his enemies and called forth the Fyrd. He thought it was useless; he thought mean would laugh and mock such a call. But he made it anyway, because, as king, it was what he ought to do. But the Men did come, and they did fight, and they did win, and the hope against hope was victorious so that we might dwell in freedom and peace. 

This cry "Death" what does it signify but this? But what he was prepared to accept and undergo? It was a refutation, in a single word, of all the evils that had beplagued our nation. For Men had forgotten their Creator, and exchanged Him for the creature, and in doing so, they lost all wisdom. For without the Creator, the creature also vanishes. The glory of God is the dignity of Man; and Men, casting Him aside in the name of the dignity, soon lose sight of it. Men feared death as the ultimate evil. They sought magical objects for the prolongation of life, and to have power to rule and dominate over others. They had forgotten the true origin and meaning of death because they had forgotten the Author of Life. And so the cry: "Death!" As in, Death, I embrace you, I am prepared to undergo you, and I am not afraid of you. For what do you do to me, but render me back to the One who gave me life? And so those who sought to prolong life merely stretched themselves out, and died a thousand deaths: but those who cried "DEATH!" inherited eternal life. 

What was the origin of death? It was a curse of iblees, Men say. Each of the four Descendants was given a curse by iblees which was counteracted by a blessing. Man's curse was a quick death, and a short life. But it is a curse only to those who seek to vainly prolong life and seek power outside of humility and servitude. For, I beseech you, for us who worship the Author of Life, is this quick death a curse? Tell me: how is that which speeds us from this land of exile and vale of tears to our true native country in the clouds to be admitted to the vision of our God, where we possess all beatitude, of whose wonders eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, nor hath it entered into the heart of man, what unnumbered blessings are there hidden, how is this a curse? 

And is not death the ultimate act of trust and faith in the Lord? For, behold, no land is more uncertain than that which ancient authors called terra oblivionis - the land of forgetfulness. The path which no man hath trod to make a return unto the realm of the living. The men who fell to evil by dark magics did so because they could not accept this ultimate act of faith and hope.

Observe that God is all good. Thus, He would not allow evil to exist unless He were not so good so as to be able to bring good out of it. And this is the good He brought from this alleged curse. He pointed us skywards. He gave us a destiny in the heavens. He taught us true courage: cry "DEATH", O Churlish warrior, O Churlish maiden, and fear not! 

O iblees, what a happy curse thou hast given us! O foolish one! Thou hast sought to curse, but thou hast blessed! Thou hast sought to devise, but thou hast been outplayed! Thou didst desire to destroy us by means of this artifice of death: but thou hast succeeded only in joining us closer to the Author of Life. Thy curse of death is become the portal of life!  Thy curse the means of blessing! Then, cry out, defiantly, DEATH! And when thou hast embraced it, then, O Churlman, dost thou begin to live! Cry it out, and do good, and fear not. And let thy heart take courage, and do manfully, and trust thou in the Lord. Death is turned from evil to good when it is preferred to sin.

Edited by thesmellypocket