The Haelun'or Gazette - Vol. VII

5w-SSuITm3Jv3JgV7xWZcrI9aFK52mWyhhR49YpP3Wk8N9kUNUJA_uhQUcW2wj4oN0_1mDevBFSeIDIE9yz7THM_eAG5oIYzcxiLSKYtADQvocnaXLNLTmAg-gIthGczQrKbqhpDjEp01byUghnBcsU

The Haelun’or Gazette

Published 15th of Snow's Maiden, Y. 153 S.A.

Vol. VII

5ZCIH3jGqc8v9OTE4RqwIorH8HdkgXrfAGfqZ35JfE2AY7yvglt-31vtQeBNx1FspZJko5Hiht5KiZLkPkngtrVK0YO-Kh15vowmlTtl558keEWDGSr4mYMW5-4Mf9GadUsQKlo5a_iSMV-mzir7zBk

Important News and Events - Haelun’ors Local and Global news column

We of the Haelun’or Gazette would like to start this edition off with a congratulations to Miss Carallia Maeyr’onn for her 50th names day celebration. We encourage our readers to also send their regards to her as she reaches this monumental milestone.

It seems the report we had gotten regarding Lurin and the frostwitches was simply a hoax to put blame on innocent Lurinites! We offer our condolences towards the people of Lurin for the falsified information provided by the frostwitches themselves.

Nelecar Maeyr’onn has returned, but not in a way that was to be expected. Allegedly, the eldest of Curunir Maeyr’onn’s oem’iian had attempted to murder a citizen of Haelun’or under the pretense that said citizen was, in fact, the writer of this very newspaper. A few distraught onlookers have reported his younger lari’onn attempting to defuse the situation, and even used herself as a shield for the innocent citizen. We should like to note, neither of our writers were involved in this situation and we’d like to apologize for the unjust treatment brought upon them due to hurt feelings over one of our articles.

Whispers in the Wind - Haelun’ors gossip column

An infernal uprising is brewing below the feet of the citizens of Haelun’or by a devious imp! Could this be cause for concern, or simply a drunken tale?

Maethor Sythaerin has been seen hanging around with yet another wood elf woman? What could this mean, and is he possibly stringing some women along and toying with their emotions?!

The bench broke in the city square, which was then crudely fixed; then, broken again. A large piece of stone has been put in the square as a replacement… Where did this stone come from? Who brought it into the square?

An Interview with Haus

Tell us about yourself. 

I was born on Almaris in Karosgrad, a half-decade before the conclusion of the inferi siege of Karsograd. I was always enthralled with books - most of my youth was spent reading and learning whatever I could from within the city, and I quickly developed a wandering spirit - roaming place to place in search of more to learn until I wandered into Haelun’or. It was later in my life that I was introduced to the arcane arts - around a few years after I started my practice I, can under the watchful tutelage of Valindra Nullivari, the First Veil Watcher, and it was by her offer that I joined her as a Veil Watcher. It is a endless and thankless task, to watch over fellow magi and ensure they remain cautious, while tending to the Veil, but it is a purpose I endure with pride - it has been under Valindra’s mentorship that I’ve become the Watcher I am today, and through our work we safeguard descendant kind on our side of the Veil. 

Interlude aside, since I took on the burden of Watching and the arrival in these new lands, I’ve found my wandering spirit re-invigorated. When I’m not conducting my research within the Silver City I tend to wander place to place - watchful of the Veil and inquisitive to that which I come across. It’s been eventful, to say the least.

What are your inspirations with your work?

Spite, in the simplest terms. I have been told countless times what others have thought of me and what they think I’m capable of, been subjected to the wills and wants of others as nothing more but a tool, a means to another's ends. It is in pushing myself to the extent of my capabilities, in enduring where nigh all other crumbles and falter, that spite to spit back in the face of problems and challenges and overcome that pushes me to achieve what I have, and inspires me to do better the next time. 

It is also in those I find myself looking up to, in my closest friends and teachers - the unyielding, those unshy of the truths who seek it out, those who pioneer and carve the path forward - that I find inspiration. I have found my best works, the moments where I shine the brightest are from standing together with those close to me - who I know would do the same for me at a moment's notice. One’s self is powerful enough, but to link arms in unity and persevere is strength in its own scale. 

What are some things you would want to change, given the chance?

My lab space. I must admit, quite embarrassingly, I underestimated how much space I’d need, and now require an expansion. I’ve begun the process of gathering the needed approval for such, but it is tiresome. To have my work hampered over red tape is trying at best, and insufferable at worst. 

In the same notion, I truly wish there was more…research conducted. When I first arrived in Haelun’or, what caught my eye was how much work was put into the gathering and preserving of knowledge, and the scope of the clinic. I find both now rest on a shelf of stagnation and indifference, tended to by a scarce few while the main effort goes into efforts of war and violence and armies. It saddens me as much as it angers me to wonder what could have been, had such effort gone into gaining an understanding of the new lands we live in, instead of mindlessly amassing arms to point to the nearest gathering of life.

Do you have any close friends, and who might they be?

Cresence Tinuviel'vihai has been a dear friend of recent, helping me with my research and cooking. I’m a bit biased towards what I make, so having an outside voice is always helpful. They’ve also been quite kind and understanding during the rather difficult work I do. 

I would, of course, be remiss to not mention Valindra Nullivari - fellow Watcher, Valued Friend and Dearest Teacher of mine. Through her experience and expertise and under her watchful guidance, I can attribute most of the reasoning of why I am the mage I am to her. Through tragedy and hardship she’s stood with me, stalwart and unyielding. I could ask for no better teacher or friend, and I am honored and humbled to be her student. 

And certainly, there is Inny Yuln’aher. A most fabulous Headmistress and Innovator - someone who has driven me to wake up, and stand for myself. Without her, I most assuredly would be dead in a ditch somewhere of my own digging. Few others have made such a impact as her in such a short time, inspired me to reshape myself into something better. Words alone are quite insufficient to express my gratitude to her, and how deeply I value the bond we have. 

Past these dearest few and unnamed others, in the Silver City it is difficult to say. There are precious few I consider close to me, and I assume my appearance is off-putting enough to discourage others from trying. I’ve learned not to mind - the people I do have close to me are quite dear in my life.

How is it being one of the few valah actively around El’Cihi?

It’s difficult to say, as in most cases I feel as if I’m treated fine - irrespective of my human-ness. In some particularly humorous cases I have been referred to as a ‘aheral, which makes me wonder if some mali’ truly consider me an elf or not. I'm not sure if I should take that as a compliment or not, yet. 

More often than not, I find it pleasant to be in El’CihiThilln - it’s only on rare occasions do I find myself the subject of passing jeers and glares. It baffles me still that some ‘thill hold high opinions of me, while others hold abysmally poor ones. Regardless, such vanities are just that - I’m happy to be welcome in the city, and able to continue my research in peace.

Miss Matchmaker

Carallia Maeyr’onn

Female 

The heiress to the Maeyr’onn talonii and librarian within our Eternal Library. Tall and graceful, with a presence akin to the sun with her white hair and golden eyes. An aspiring artist and writer, she enjoys spending time with her young ward. Her weaknesses are sweets, specifically lemon-based treats. We’ve also seen a rather sharp increase in men surrounding the ‘thill, perhaps all are potential suitors?

Ashwyn Sythaerin

140~

Female

A scholar (unemployed individual) within the Sythaerin talonii, with flaxen hair and golden eyes. She has an affinity for literature and science. It is said she quite enjoys poems written in honor of herself.

‘N’tellahr’ Faust

Male

A member of the Sillumir working under Theveus Sythaerin, bearing dusty blond hair and green eyes. The new member of our city even has a small goatee, making him an interesting sight to see. He is an avid reader, with a liking for fine alcohol. We have heard he quite enjoys waltzing in the firelight.

Raelon Brodielonde

Male

A sailor and soon-to-be Sillumir, another newcomer to the city. Of the vastly large Brodielonde talonii, he’s a blond man with seafoam-green eyes. He has an enjoyment of the water and sea, though is looking to settle into the lands.

Lashrael Irune Tinuviel

200~

Male

The newly returned, missing father of Athri’annyer Tinuviel. Not much can be said on the man, but it appears he was not welcome back with open arms.

And now, onto the Gazette’s public questionnaire: Who is…

Last editions polls surprisingly had a winner for each category with no ties! The first winner was Maerayla Sythaerin as most likely to perish. The second was Vylarr Githrahel as the most likely to fall off of El’Chihi’s walls! The third was Cresence Tinuviel'vihai and Theveus Sytharin for the next to be wed, and finally the one most likely to go through a messy divorce was none other than Sorcaril Sythaerin!

It seems the scrutinous focus has shifted towards the Sytharin talonnii rather than Valazaer Calith.

Onto this editions polls!

Who is… the fairest of them all?

Who is… most likely to get disowned first?

Who is… most likely to eat a poisoned apple by accident?

5ZCIH3jGqc8v9OTE4RqwIorH8HdkgXrfAGfqZ35JfE2AY7yvglt-31vtQeBNx1FspZJko5Hiht5KiZLkPkngtrVK0YO-Kh15vowmlTtl558keEWDGSr4mYMW5-4Mf9GadUsQKlo5a_iSMV-mzir7zBk

This edition of the Haelun’or Gazette was graciously written by:

Lavendula Pyrenaica

Diphylleia Convallaria

Would you like to see your own entry in the Gazette?

Send a letter into the Gazette Dropbox.

"To think my first known public endeavor was from that particular training session.." A 'thill says to himself, slightly embarrassed but soon quickly moves on the topic.

Athri'annyer scowled at the paper, for multiple reasons. "Eugh." He tossed it over his shoulder into the armory's fire and went about his daily duties.

There's always some dissidents out there trying to disparage the magic communities of our era, it is pleasing to see the Lurinites cleared of such false accusations. 

Remarked Razad. 

Stelios sips from a coconut not excited to end his trip to gulunga but it was best to return to the mother cihi soon. He read the news paper and he quirked a brow. "Haus? The necromancer? One would have thought he'd be living low once called out..."

The pure extremist thought a moment, glancing out over his sunglasses. Thinking for a moment he resigned to save it for later and sip more fruity drinks! Soon though. 

Lashrael frowns after reading his name on the matchmaker list "My wife should show her face more it seems"