A Crossing of Blades - Vicente Murietta II

Javert

A Crossing of Blades

HN4rjrzoZlIMkcWVoT9I201aHpLD8R-SGmBw98UZcx3HlD7F3GJByXRHL6dpT0fToGzEp8euJXf7cpbnxA58t5ye--_-_W7Ii6-Kr3sbA7ycKMIqzAWSynhZiw-2ex8Up1H4mkfapgxMLy3E4Ab7hXc

CozccBlMf5JBgxkxaRiFOeer3fhR3NpFfG9yoJmLmjDxpMdwlEyqEta17QbkT1dt9FObSMnvIFw5HgABQpfZeDVAQ_yM9t8iG8OOTaRKyrRjYtSaYJoucq6AWRoR5vN0zTiybdNgkMQXaQYUsdNzIxU

The Duel of Winburgh

C. 157 S.A.

HN4rjrzoZlIMkcWVoT9I201aHpLD8R-SGmBw98UZcx3HlD7F3GJByXRHL6dpT0fToGzEp8euJXf7cpbnxA58t5ye--_-_W7Ii6-Kr3sbA7ycKMIqzAWSynhZiw-2ex8Up1H4mkfapgxMLy3E4Ab7hXc

Vicente had been foolish. After the recent Siege of Breakwater, a stunning victory for Covenant forces, the Hyspian warrior had been led to believe he could travel past Veletzian lands with relative safety. He was under the assumption that a local garrison of the Breakwater ruins would be in place, but little did he know that no such luxury was bestowed. And so, whilst Vicente passed through Veletzian lands to reach the far-off nation of Aeltarys, he was stopped by the all too familiar teal bandana of a Ferrymen soldier. At first the two spoke cordially, but soon Vicente found himself surrounded by Veletzians who appeared from the nearby city of Winburgh. 

Before long Vicente found himself tied, disarmed, and thrown before the Captain-General of Veletz, Sir Gaspard van Aert. Vicente himself could scarcely believe it - A Hyspian Peasant with no noble blood of his own was in the presence of a man whose nation was locked in a brutal conflict with Vicente’s homeland. While at first Vicente was almost certain the Veletzian ruler would order his execution, the ensuing conversation came to surprise the Hyspian soldier. Sir Gaspard spoke directly to Vicente, asking where he was from and what profession the man had. Vicente answered with honesty, as the color of his armor and his darker skin had already given away his ethnic origins. Vicente told Sir Gaspard that he was a Soldier, yet also a Farmer and a Scholar of History. Sir Gaspard appeared to listen intently, then asked him of his family.

None,” Vicente had said. “My Father died before the independence of Hyspia.

Sir Gaspard then stood tall and the two men briefly shared words of their regrets regarding the war, how neither had wanted to spill blood. How both men wished it could have been solved with words. Vicente found himself surprised, for Sir Gaspard appeared to be a much more honorable man than he had been led to believe. Through the conversation Vicente became more and more convinced that this war had been one of misunderstanding. Sir Gaspard lamented on how he had lost friends at the Battle of Whitespire, and Vicente shared that he too had lost friends at Valdev and Winburgh. 

Yet, such a conversation did not last forever. Sir Gaspard ordered for Vicente to be unbound and laid a sword at his feet. Though Vicente was confused, he picked up the sword and gazed across the courtyard at Sir Gaspard. The Veletzian knight donned his own helmet and blade and spoke forth;

Both of us are men without Sons, we share common ground in that.

Should I fall today, Sir Gaspard, it would be an honor to fall by your hand.

The two combatants began to circle each other, and soon the clanging of Daemonsteel rang throughout the courtyard as Veletzians gathered to watch their ruler duel Vicente. A million thoughts raced through Vicente’s mind - He could attempt to kill Sir Gaspard, end the war here and now, but that brought with it its own problems. Vicente knew that if he were to kill Sir Gaspard, he would not walk from Winburgh alive. Nonetheless as the duel dragged on, Vicente made his peace with the idea. For the sake of his Country, his People, and those he loved, he would do his best to slay the Veletzian knight if it were possible.

But then, Vicente’s thoughts dwelled on others. Mariposa, his childhood friend, whom Vicente had harbored feelings with for decades. Would he ever be able to tell her the truth of his affections if he were to fall on this day?

Vicente’s mind snapped back to the present as he and Sir Gaspard continued to clash their blades against each other. The lightly armored Hyspian had been subjected to harsh punishment at the hands of the heavily armored Knight, who first broke the Hyspian’s nose with a well placed headbutt. Vicente recanted by laying a cut upon Sir Gaspard’s neck, though not enough to end the fight. Sir Gaspard struck again, cutting Vicente’s left calf and striking him upon the jaw. Vicente felt three of his teeth sail from his mouth as he stumbled backwards. Blood dripped from his mouth and nose, and he felt a great difficulty with standing due to the cut to his leg. Sir Gaspard pressed on, dealing a nasty cut to Vicente’s right cheek which caused blood to pour from Vicente’s cheek down to his neck. Vicente again attempted to cut Sir Gaspard’s neck, but with a strength unseen in any other man Sir Gaspard grasped Vicente’s sword and wrestled it from the Hyspian’s grasp.

In a desperate act, Vicente lunged forth and grasped Sir Gaspard’s dagger upon his back. Vicente struggled to free the dagger from the safety straps, yet a shove from Sir Gaspard sent the Hyspian onto his back. When Vicente sat up, he saw two Daemonsteel blades sailing towards his neck. To save himself, Vicente raised his right forearm up and leaned backwards to prevent the blades from cutting his neck. Though Vicente’s neck was saved, he felt the bitter steel cut through flesh and bone until naught of his right hand remained but a bloody stump.

With a cry of pain, Vicente fell onto his back once more. He clutched the wound where his arm once was, and he looked up to the sky. He thought once more of Mariposa, of his other friends in Hyspia, and of Viceroy Cesar II.

I am sorry, I failed.” Vicente said under his breath as Sir Gaspard pointed the tip of his blade to his neck.

Do you- *huff* -Do you yield?

Vicente, although reluctantly, gave a nod of his head. There was nothing more the Hyspian could do, as to continue his resistance whilst so gravely wounded would mean certain death. Vicente hauled himself onto his knees and looked down upon the dirt.

Swear to me now…that you shall go home in peace. That you shall find yourself a woman who loves you and settle down with your own family. Swear that you will retire from this destructive conflict.

With little choice, Vicente gave a nod of his head “I swear it.

Sir Gaspard sheathed his swords. 

Should I find you still taking up arms against us, I shall make it my personal mission to cut you down.” Sir Gaspard then extended his hand to Vicente, which he took shakily due to his wounds. Sir Gaspard had Vicente ushered to a medic where his wounds were cared for, and then the Hyspian was sent home to La Dorada. Vicente was unsure how to feel - He was grateful to be alive, no doubt, but his entire perspective on this war had changed. For better or for worse, that remained to be seen. In the meantime, he resettled back into La Dorada and sought out Mariposa, his childhood friend.

Spoiler

Big thank you to @M1919for the RP duel, it was super fun! And thank you to all the Veletzians for the cool RP, I really had a ton of fun.

Mariposa Aganza was terribly worried that entire Saints day. Her dear friend had left for the battle of Breakwater, and survived, and then news of his capture came and she couldn't bring herself to eat. The woman knelt before her prayer candles, but could find no words as she thought of what may be happening to her dear childhood friend.

Will she ever have the courage to tell him she loves him?