A LETTER FROM AELFWIN

EINE ANFRANGE VON AELFWIN
eq-8-a_Y0pUn7btdW8TaGewinEWsOtncCas8FvOT6Rx4qS3qpqsD9sL0B3zCLsGOFG3vm5KJYI7-TTxgMsNaDibk-YwDfyJrgxQ8Nj7wxZPmEGEqpnS2UrsNJJlJlTouD6QZHHVajjV_rtvpfY6MFSA

Art depicting an ancient Reinmaren holdfast

Medieval II Total War Music "The Widow"

Oh kinsmen of mine, I, Aelfwin von Kretzen, have translated the remains of an ancient runestone from the times of Gelimar, Theoderic, and many of our venerable ancestors. The stone is one for the declaration of land ownership. Many warriors in service to chieftains during the conflicts of old received land taken from the enemy for their deeds, the writer of this runestone I’ve translated being one of them.

The rune read as follows:

“ᛚᛖᛟᚾ ᚪᚾᛞ ᚪᛞᛖᛚᛗᚪᚱ, ᛋᛏᚪᚠᚪᛋᛏ ᚠᚱᛁᛋᚪᚾᛞᛋ, ᛖᛏᚌᚻᛖᛞ ᚪᛗᛒᚩᚢᚾᛞ ᚪᛘᛚᛋ ᚠᚱᛁᛋᚪᚾᛞ. ᚌᚻᛖᛞ ᚪᛗᛒᚩᚢᚠᚱᛁᛋᚪᚾᛞᛋᚻᛁᛈ, ᛏᛁᛘᛖᛚᛖ ᛋᛋ ᚪᚾᛞ ᚢᚾᛒᚱᛟᚳᛖᚾ. ᛋᛏᚪᚾᛞᛋ ᚪᛋ ᚪ ᛚᚪᛋᛏᛁᛜ ᛏᛖᛋᛏᚪᛗᛖᚾᛏ. ᛞ ᚪᛞᛖᛚᛗᚪᚱ, ᛋᛏᚪᚠᚪᛋᛏᛞ ᚪᛞᛖᛚᛗᚪᚱ. ᛋᛏᚪᚠᚪᛋᛏ.”

“I, Holgrum, son of Hod, own the lands from the northern river to the holdfast of Chief Logran. The Hodssons and our ancestors will forever till and defend these lands. Men of this land shall answer to my clan. The forests are to contain shrines to the spirits, so declares High Chief Jorsk.”

My brethren, now that we have our own lands and a Reinmar for the Reinmaren, we should construct runestones as we did in the past. I implore you, kinsmen, that once you take farmsteads outside of the walls of Kretzen, you keep the runes and our tradition dear and mark our territory as the chieftains of old did.