[Your View] Food Plugins

Aesopian

Please respond with whether you agree or disagree to the follow statements.  

241 members have voted

1. 1. I would like a farming plugin.

• Strongly Agree
    • Agree
    • Neutral
    • Disagree
    • Strongly Disagree
  2. 2. I would like an animal husbandry plugin.

• Strongly Agree
    • Agree
    • Neutral
    • Disagree
    • Strongly Disagree
  3. 3. I would like a cooking plugin.

• Strongly Agree
    • Agree
    • Neutral
    • Disagree
    • Strongly Disagree
  4. 4. I would like an alcohol/brewing plugin.

• Strongly Agree
    • Agree
    • Neutral
    • Disagree
    • Strongly Disagree

bro had me until he went into cannibalism

most of this stuff is pretty cool and i concur with most peoples' replies. i think the whole crop yield system would rlly have to be dictated by an independent weather system which, while i think would be cool, is a problem of its own. u rlly couldnt have one without the other.

also dont think ppl should be chimping out over the cannibalism stuff, i think it's pretty funny. my only caveat with that would be, introducing mechanics for undead to feed could very easily be misinterpreted as fulfilling said undeads' individual race/magic quotas for feeding (i.e., necromantic undead/darkstalkers and having to feed something like every week or two to stay alive). i think it should very explicitly be mentioned that such a system wouldnt coopt their roleplay responsibilities, otherwise this system would stand to deincentivize actual undead roleplay. also, definitely no stat buffs be they for undead or the average john/jane doe

A great idea so long it has nothing to do with pvp and it's purely for saturation and roleplay.

Also, you should really make a Google questionnaire sheet with all the very specific questions you listed in bullets so it's easier for people to give their feedback on the specifics besides copying the whole list and replying to it with an edit of it.

On 6/10/2024 at 5:49 AM, Aesopian said:
  • Farming
    • Should specific plants grow better in certain biomes? I think they should grow better in certain biomes, and I think certain foods should not be allowed to grow in certain biomes. Encourage more root-based plants in colder regions because of the harsh conditions, which will in turn affect the particular foods that are consumed in different biomes.
    • Should there be subspecies of plants (e.g. multiple species of wheat seeds such as millet, barley, or rye)? Yes? However I'd much rather lean into my later mention of utilizing a resource pack, to create custom plants/growth stages instead of just having wheat plants that drop different materials.
    • Should the time of year influence your harvest yields? Yes
    • Should certain races be better at farming than others? No
    • Composting
      • Should different types of compost be available which help with different plants? No
      • Should it be possible to make a generally 'better' bonemeal? Yes
  • Rarity
    • Should different rarities of food ingredients exist, which require more or less effort to acquire? Yes

• Raising Livestock
    • Should older animals provide progressively better ingredients? Yes. But under the stipulation that baby's take longer to mature into adults. That way it's easier to distinguish "older" animals from younger ones.
    • Should certain races be better at raising livestock than others? No
    • Should the feed you provide your animals change what quality ingredients the animal then produces? Yes. Also potentially revise the types of feed for animals.
    • Should specific animals grow faster in certain biomes? Yes
    • Should you be able to brush your animals to make them happier and also produce better quality ingredients? No. I think brushing the animals should help them mature quicker though.

I think if babies take much longer to mature, and the basis of raising livestock revolves around caring for them with the intent of maturing them, that'd lead to a more interactive and immersive experience. Just raise the base drops of mature mobs, remove loot tables from babies, and disable aging of cows and have there be a number of prerequisites for baby to mature into an adult. Something along those lines.

• Other Food Sources
    • Should berries be altered to reduce their effectiveness? Yes
    • Should the amount of Billybob Taters be reduced? I honestly think they should be removed. I would much rather, a singular super food which can provide 20 hunger and provide a massive Saturation effect.
  • Beekeeping
    • Should this exist? Yes
  • Alcohol
    • Should aging alcoholic beverages for longer make them stronger? Why not
  • Cooking
    • Should custom recipes exist for other foods (e.g. spaghetti, sandwiches, haggis)? Yes
      • Should this be restricted to just saturation and hunger bars, or should this also include any or all of:
        • Health Boost
        • Absorption
        • Regeneration
        • Saturation (potion effect)
        • Haste
          • Should it be possible to create entirely custom recipes (ST Admin only)? No
          • Should certain recipes exist that are race-locked? No
    • Should you be able to take an arbitrary food item and 'reskin' it into another food item? This would PRESERVE ALL MECHANICAL PROPERTIES of the food item in question, but allow you to then CHANGE ITS APPEARANCE, allowing you to roleplay it however you would like. 
  • Cannibalism
    • Should descendants drop a food item when slain (up to a limit per day)? No
      • Should this grant additional buffs to undead players? No

In regards to whether or not status effects should be granted to foods, the answer is yes. However it really should only be done for the rarest of foods, or foods that require the most effort to cooking, whether it's based off rarity in acquisition of resources, or effort derived from the crafting recipe. I'd also focus on adding status effects that fit thematically with the foods, like adding a jump boost to rabbit stew, or some other custom recipes. As far as which status effects? Any and all of them, as long as they fit thematically with the food, I don't think anyone could complain, to include negative effects.

Also wanted to add that among the typical PvP status effects, I don't really think any of them could fit thematically with foods and therefore don't see a reason to add those types of status effects. I could care less that there'd be foods that affect PvP, I just don't really see how they could fit thematically with normal foods using normal ingredients in the world. I don't see the need to add PvP related status effects to food unless it was for some sort of boss mob or rare fish in a biome's loot table.

As far as the ability to reskin the item texture to a different food, If that's the best the server is able to achieve without creating a dedicated server resource pack, hosted by the server or otherwise, then go for it. However It's antiquated thinking, I know there's hesitancy on a server resource pack, but if there's a single reason, it would be for core profession immersion plugins. Why not do the ideal, immersive move and create a resource pack for all these custom foods so there can be custom item textures for all of them:

Spoiler

48f33012d1d69466105658b25c0ddcde.thumb.png.59d303af23f970e28afd521383ed1808.png

I'd also like to stress, that there shouldn't be racial locked, or racial buffs. It should just be implemented with the idea in mind that, the reason why a particular food is popular in a given region, has more to do with the fact that that is the food that grows in that region, and has become a staple for those reasons, less to do with the fact that it's just racially locked. If you're going to do racial foods, there has to be an incentive to create racial foods. So that players prefer those foods and it will lean further into their roleplay and add distinction among regions and races, and those resources have to be plentiful in those regions.

Also adding an expiration to foods never fixed the issue entirely however it was a decent approach. Players were still able to amass large amounts of bread, and it pretty much discouraged the use of any other less easily acquirable foods. A better solution would have been to modify hunger restoration and saturation of common foods, and change crafting recipes for easily crafted foods such as bread. If vegetables, provided .5 hunger and 0 saturation, and bread had to be cooked in a furnace, players would likely create food with those vegetables, and lean more into their regional dishes. Because if potato's and bread is still the most easily farmable, hunger restoring, easy to craft foods on the server, all these other foods still aren't going to be utilized by the player base.

Brewing alcohol was really fun back then, I had a whole basement where I tried to figure out ingredients and recipes through trial and error.

Something that you can add are star ratings to beverages, where you'd have to mix certain ingredients when brewing the mix (for example, you used to throw in an apple on a cauldron for a certain drink), but specific ingredients that come from custom farming or something can increase the star rating of beverages.

This creates a market for high quality wines, crops and etcetera just for extra star rating on a drink. Same with food, drinks should also have an icon that you can submit/create... if you were to add custom textures, that is.

Also, never ever lock stuff behind races, ppl used to make orcs just for the buffs and we had a shit ton of whitewashes walking around  for 2.5 hearts of extra damage... ppl would occupy an extra persona and never roleplay it just for the buff on husbandry or crop or etc. If you want to increase the quality of husbandry or something that yields better results, im sure you could work on better, custom tools for such.

On 6/10/2024 at 11:17 AM, satinkira said:

1) don't see why not

2) don't see why not

3) the time of year should only influence harvest yields if the time of year is represented in-game, E.G winter results in snow across the land which results in bad crops. however since every week is one year it would be a bit silly to go 'oh no the crops have failed on friday again because winter hit again', every single week, so I will have to vote no unless a nice method of making the seasons matter is created without it being a bit repetitive

4) no, unless I'm missing something none of them really have any reason to be better than any other at farming

5) nah bonemeal is fine

6) no I don't think we should lose the minecraft feel that lotc brings and I think that making stuff like compost would hurt that a bit personally 3:

surely the only way that rarer unique-to-lotc types of foodstuffs would be introduced would be via roleplay, in which case they're represented via item tags and descriptions and so forth anyways? unless I'm missing something

1) again I don't see how that would be implemented without custom foods, in which case I would have to ask you how you'd go about them

2) no, unless I'm missing something none of them really have any reason to be better than any other at raising animals

3) must again ask what you mean by quality of ingredients. if it's going to be a pig it's always going to drop pork

4) dont see why not

1) no 

2) no

3) yes

4) yes

1) no, and I'll have to refer to my 'I would like things to remain within the bounds of minecraft' reasoning. I understand that this is a very opinionated opinion but I don't really want the minecraft-esque feel that lotc maintains to be tampered with by stuff like sphagetti minecraft food items

2) NO. big no. please do not make food give mechanical benefits beyond just hunger bars, please do not create ways for pvpers to get advantages over each other please do not start the aevosian arms race

3) I mean if its ST admin theres nothing really stopping them right now

4) no why would there be

5) thats quite nice actually yes please

1) dont see why not

2) no, please do not introduce mechanical buffs to roleplay creatures as that will incentivise them to no longer act with roleplay in mind and instead the buffs that you've offered

I refuse to believe we go through all four seasons in 7 irl days, and elect to believe we're in Game of Thrones orbit where a season takes many years to pass

I also want to eat people.

1 minute ago, Onnensr said:

I refuse to believe we go through all four seasons in 7 irl days, and elect to believe we're in Game of Thrones orbit where a season takes many years to pass

me too this is based but the only season that's actually notable is winter and that's because all the cities get a snow do-over. I would really like the seasons to have consequence and impact as they come and go and wholeheartedly endorse crop failure 

On 6/13/2024 at 3:19 PM, Onnensr said:

I also want to eat people.

I'm of the opinion that a good span of a season IRL is 1 week. go through each season once a month. If there's some "Winter is coming" event for a long winter, then make all of December winter.

If implemented right and other food sources are easily acquirable, then moving away from crops for a week shouldn't be that bad and will give other foods a more practical use, and incentive to use. Or at least the notion of having to actually stockpile foods in a warehouse will have a  legitimate reason to do so.

I think adding some sort of seasons plugin, almost goes in tandem with a lot of things that have been suggested, and I'd recommend adding that to the list of things the server should look into. I'd also personally recommend just using the off the shelf Realistic Seasons plugin.

That plugin can also accomplish the promise of having regional, or biome specific hues for foliage and grass, for each season, per biome. Is very easy to configure, very stable, and the best on the market when it comes to off the shelf seasons plugins. It also has configuration for crop growth per biome, per season as well, in addition to a multitude of other features that fall in tandem with what a lot of the suggestions and polling subjects that focus on immersion and practicality.

On 6/16/2024 at 2:49 AM, Sebasgann said:

I'm of the opinion that a good span of a season IRL is 1 week. go through each season once a month. If there's some "Winter is coming" event for a long winter, then make all of December winter.

If implemented right and other food sources are easily acquirable, then moving away from crops for a week shouldn't be that bad and will give other foods a more practical use, and incentive to use. Or at least the notion of having to actually stockpile foods in a warehouse will have a  legitimate reason to do so.

I think adding some sort of seasons plugin, almost goes in tandem with a lot of things that have been suggested, and I'd recommend adding that to the list of things the server should look into. I'd also personally recommend just using the off the shelf Realistic Seasons plugin.

That plugin can also accomplish the promise of having regional, or biome specific hues for foliage and grass, for each season, per biome. Is very easy to configure, very stable, and the best on the market when it comes to off the shelf seasons plugins. It also has configuration for crop growth per biome, per season as well, in addition to a multitude of other features that fall in tandem with what a lot of the suggestions and polling subjects that focus on immersion and practicality.

Taking the "One season weekly" route, I'd definitely want to see it tangibly in game. Part of the reason I argue for matching with irl seasons, is people will only decorate their nations appropriately during those seasons regardless; for some strange reason, people only make snowmen during the last 12 or so years in Aeos lol

But also I'm biased because I like to play seasonal games during their set season. LoTC in winter would throw off my cozy winter vibes, LoTC in summer would throw off my summer-of-excess vibes