The Scholars of Aegis

bitewhite

The Scholars of Aegis

*You notice a flyer on the ground and pick it up*

The Scholars of Aegis is an organization dedicated to collecting the knowledge of Aegis and providing free education to the people of Aegis. In order to accomplish this task, we are looking for new scholars to join the organization. The Scholars of Aegis is new and is still a work in progress so we are looking for founding members who are eager to learn and contribute to the organization.

Current Positions

The two main ranks in the Scholars of Aegis are are the scholars and the associates. All members will begin as associates and will become full-fledged scholars once they have written a dissertation for the guild that will be reviewed by a department head, the head scholar, and one other member. Associates applying to join the Department of Engineering will be exempt of writing a dissertation and will instead be appointed by the departments head based off of merit. Once a member has been promoted to scholar they get full access to the library, an office on one of the campuses, a room on campus and will be assigned a position in their chosen department. The positions for the rank of scholar are as follows:

Tier 1

• Department Head: A department head has full control over their department. They will be in charge of managing research projects, classes, and all documents and books held by the department. Department heads will essentially function autonomously with little oversight. They are free to choose what specific studies their department will pursue. As we are just getting started, department heads are in need and will be given to the most qualified and hardest working person. To become a department head, you must be a self-starter and you must be an expert on the subject of your department.
  • Head Scholar: The Head Scholar is in charge of the whole organization and manages the organization's affairs. The current head scholar is Marcus Gladiarum.

Tier 2

• Professor: Professors are scholars that have proven themselves experts in their chosen field of study and report to their department head. A professor's main job is to conduct research and write books for the library but they are also in charge of teaching classes in the lecture hall. Professor's also coordinate research projects in their specific area of study. Although professors are expected to be knowledgeable in the subject of their department, professors should also get a more specific are of study to be familiar with. For instance, a professor in culture studies could focus on dwarven studies or a professor in engineering could focus on red stone wiring. Professors can also employ any teacher assistants for apprenticeship in their subject.

Tier 3

• Researcher: Researchers are new scholars and will assist in research projects until they have developed enough knowledge to be promoted to a Tier 2 position. Researchers will be expected to assist higher level scholars with their work and will be expected to develop a specialty in their field to write on.
  • Teacher Assistant: Teacher assistants are scholars that have been accepted by a higher level scholar to be an apprentice. They will be expected to provide assistance and learn all they can.

Current Departments

Departments will be further subdivided at the discretion of the department head.

• History: The history department is dedicated to collecting the history of Aegis by both learning about the past and ensuring that events are recorded as they occur today. They will participate in excavation and will try to be present at major events such as wars to record what happens accurately.
  • Culture Studies: The culture studies department is dedicated to learning about the various nations, guilds, organizations, political structures and races throughout Aegis. They will conduct research and will work closely with the history department to learn more about the nations of Aegis.
  • Engineering: The engineering department will construct the buildings for the Scholars of Aegis, learn more about the various architecture of Aegis, and research methods of mining and building.
  • Economics: The economics department is dedicated to learning more about the complicated art of trade. They will track prices of various items, track supply and demand, and research the economy of Aegis in general.

There is currently one campus in construction. It is located north of Al'Khazar on the road to Winterfell. The first building to be completed will have a lecture hall, conference room, main room, 6 bedrooms, 6 offices, a courtyard and various other rooms. Once the engineering department head is chosen, he will build the library and the engineering building.

Positions are open. If you would like to apply, please submit the following application. The organization is expected to be up and running in a week so application will be responded to once we are ready to open. Departments heads will be chosen first and will not be required to submit a dissertation for original membership and will not have to go through an associate phase.

MC Name:

IC Name:

Reason for joining:

Field you would like to study:

Experience and qualifications:

Position applying for:

If you would like to donate any books or any other resources please reply. We would also like to make partnerships with the various other scholastic organizations of Aegis.

I am interested in joining the guild as I foresee many benefits of joining with like-minded scholars. As I have never taught before I would face teaching with trepidation but would operate well as a department head. I am not intentionally automatically declaring myself worthy of Tier 1, however as a requirement of Tier 2 is to teach, I am persuaded to undertake a more administatorial role. I am sure I may become a good teacher with training and experience, but at this stage I have neither.

MC Name: Jerry_Man

IC Name: Elindor

Reason for joining: Truth must remain free; knowledge must remain liberated. I seek not to horde what I have learnt and what I will discover in future but realise that I only gained my current understanding through the scholarly offerings of others. Further reasons can be found under "Experience and Qualifications"

Field you would like to study: As many others I am interested in history, though I know that there are many who would be better suited to that department. The area that I would like to be involved in is culture; specifically how spirituality and understanding of the soul shapes cultures.

Experience and qualifications: I begun independant research under the OSRT while it was being established in the Souls lab. With much sadness the institute was dissolved for lack of funding, however my research continues. I work as the scholar for the Rangers of The Forest, as well as having assisted and continuing to work with the Aegean Academy in handling their records and adminstrative planning. I've been working with the Historians of Aegis in uncovering a digsite in Krugmar that has brought some interesting findings.

In regards to my experience with other cultures, I am a halfblood elf and human and have recently spent a large measure of time in Krugmar understanding and building relationships with the orcs. I study a culture by looking first at its' ancient roots and then analysing how it has changed from there, introducing how the mainstream religeon has influenced the nation.

I've also written a number of books. A series of which stemmed from my personal interest in halfbloods through history which found me delving through history books and ancient stories. My more recent books have been concerned chiefly with spirituality and the souls, or remnant thereof, of the undead. I am not swayed in my understanding by any common religeous beleifs but dwell on the ways of the Creator God.

Position applying for: I don't feel comfortable putting myself on a podium like this, never-the-less; Department Head: Cultures. As my level of commitment to the server will be taking on a new form in a month I will almost definately be stepping down from this position in the future. Therefore I, with Marcus Gladiarum's consent and assistance of course, will be selecting the best candidate for the Department Head's position from the body of scholars in the cultures department. While it may initially seem like this is a good reason not to select me for the role, I would think it be of greater resolution for the Scholars of Aegis as the best suited scholar whose commitment has already been tested would be given the position in future.

I may make changes to this reply in future as it is a reserved place on the post.

A few updates:

1. Construction on the first campus near Al'Khazar will finish pretty soon. Once finished, department heads will be selected. After the department heads are settled, we will begin taking on associates.

2. A southern campus near Laurelin is in the planning stages. Construction will begin as soon as the northern campus is completed and will include a main room, 8 offices, 8 bedrooms, 1 lecture hall, 1 conference room, and a medium sized library.

3. My goal is to build four functioning campuses in the next couple of weeks so that each department will have a campus to operate in. All scholars will still have the choice as to where they would like to locate their office but it is suggested that lower level scholars who are TA's or researchers locate wherever the majority of scholars in their department are located. In addition to the campuses, one main library will be constructed to maintain the organization's books and documents.

MC Name: Biinary

IC Name: David Merchand

Reason for joining: I want to gather more information and knowledge about the world of Aegis and its economy. I hope to become a lesser treasurer in the future and I thought this would be great training for all my future ambitions. I would like to collaborate with others interested in the same field of study.

Field you would like to study: As already stated, I would like to study economics.

Experience and qualifications: I have excelled in the studies of economics and mathematics since I was a child. I have applied for the lesser treasurer position in the Kingdom of Oren. I have no other qualifications otherwise seeing as I am new to Aegis.

Position applying for: I am applying for researcher because I think it fits my qualifications best, seeing as I have none other than my past studies.

An update:

The Northern Campus is now complete although it will likely undergo some renovations in the future. The Scholars of Aegis will open as soon as we get enough applications for membership so that it is worth opening the guild. Once there are enough applications, Department Heads will be chosen and then associates will begin to be accepted. If there are not enough apps in a week or so, we will likely not form the guild.

~~~ From the Desk of Valer D'Avore ~~~

To Whom It May Concern,

When I initially was given your flyer by a contact in my field, I grew quite excited with the prospect of continuing my education. Classically trained as an herbalist and a natural scientist, I thought, "Surely this will be a place where my well honed skills of observation can become even more well honed!"

I immediately began to put together my stellar application materials, only to find that you do not in fact support the academic department I would be interested in joining.

If necessary I will put my elocutionary skills to use to convince you that by neglecting a Department of Natural Sciences you are not only doing ME a disservice, you are doing a disservice to all the citizens of Aegis.

Please expand your curriculum to include the proper methods by which one studies and uses natural specimens in Aegis (including but not limited to: plant specimens, animal specimens and mineral specimens) and I shall consider bringing my considerable talents to bear for your institution. I have a spectacular research plan to study growing times and conditions for many common strains of Aegean vegetation, and I would think that any institution that would publish such a thesis would gain considerable academic reputation.

Signed,

Valer D'Avore

Scholar, Herbalist, Field Researcher, Snappy Dresser

P.S. If any more forward minded institutions are given a copy of this letter, AND think they have a program that would be more suited to my talents and proclivities, please feel free to forward your application materials.

P.S.S. Should a Natural Sciences program open up I should like to apply to a Tier 3 position

~~~~ Fine Print: ((my minecraft name is busynarcissist if you need to get a hold of me))

MC Name: nppeck

IC Name: Marius

Reason for joining: Ever since I was a child, I have been enthralled with gaining more knowledge. Not having many friends as a child, I instead spent most of life early life with my head buried in many books. I am obsessed learning more about that world in which we inhabit, and I feel that joining this organization will provide me with the perfect tools in order to better understand the world of Aegis.

Field you would like to study: I would like to study the in field of cultures. I would like to study this field because I feel that it offers much that can better Aegis. In addition, it would allow me to learn more about the diverse world we live in.

Experience and qualifications: Other than what I have studied on my own, I have no actually qualification for this job.

Position applying for: Due to my lack of experience, I will be applying for the tier one job of researcher. I feel that this position will both allow me to travel and learn about the world as well as teach me the art of being an intellectual.

This current Guild has been deemed inactive and has hereby been moved.

If you wish to appeal this decision you must present evidence to myself proving the guild is still active.