How To Avoid Making A Mary Sue / Gary Stu

Urahra

The sad thing is that your application has a longer biography (with better grammar, too) than most actual server applications.

Well...even when I'm making a killer Abomination Level Sue, I can't forsake good grammar.

I took the test for her and she scored a whopping 121 points. But if the total is 612, that means I'm still nearly 500 points away from the ultimate reality destroying sue.

For one, 5, for the other -1 (There was only 1 tickede :D)

Well I decided to take the test finally because I'm acquiring a new character. I got a whopping zero.

I'd mostly recommend the test for people who are very new to roleplaying in general. While old hats can still make Mary Sues, the test and guide is most helpful for people who are just starting out and don't yet know how to craft good characters.

Actually I did it more or less to get an insight on the questions they asked. And the test seems to know what it's talkin' 'bout.

...That... And the lulz. I did it for the lulz as well.

Well, hey, that's a good reason for anything in my book.

Brb, going to slap on my "evil" skin and go lurk around Alkhazar.

Bog can hit every bird in the sky with one arrow, kill ibless with a single swing, and he can get all the girls. Got any problems!? Love you You-Rah-Rah.. :P

Oh goodie, I scored a 5 and a 7 on the tests. Eh, I still think my character might be an Anti-Stu cause he's completely useless and wimpy. :/

This is exactly what many new roleplayers need to read. I've been sure to keep an eye on my Mary Sue level thanks to this guide.

Even with reality-bending powers, Annabelle got a seven?

I need to be less amazing

Wow, didn't know this thread got pinned! Thank you!

I noticed a lot of references to Aegis were left in the text, so I changed them for our new players so they won't be confused.

-Random Magical Powers. So you can fly, read minds, talk to animals, and breathe underwater? No. While there is magic in Aegis, it's not innate and must be taught to people by mages and such. Also, don't give yourself random magical abilities that your character can't have learned. This leads to powergaming. If your character is a novice magician, I doubt he or she could summon an earthquake or a Kraken.

-Claiming to be of royal descent. No, you're not King Godfrey's long lost daughter. No, you're not some duke's illegitimate half-orc son. You enter Aegis as an average person. IF YOU ROLEPLAY WELL ENOUGH, you may be promoted to royalty. BUT ONLY THEN.

Found a few you missed ^.^ :ugeek: