Medical Rp And You (2)

Gemmylou

Medical RP and You 2!

Hello Everyone!

I was looking at Sliceman’s topic and I thought it was nothing short of brilliant
(Topic can be found here: http://www.lordofthecraft.net/forum/index.php?/topic/67731-medical-rp-and-you/).

I found it incredibly useful and helpful. So, I took inspiration and thought about other medical related points that needed addressing.

I couldn’t help but think that there was so much left to be said as medicine is so vast and constantly changing. There are also points I’d like to include that haven’t been covered (See below!).

I’m making this as a help to anyone who wishes to play a doctor or healer of some kind or if you want to advance your current character.

Any criticism, good and bad is accepted as I’m still in my in real life training and there is always room for improvement! So, without further ado, I bring to you;

Medical RP and You 2!

Pregnancy and You

Understandably, this can be difficult to roleplay for anyone, especially considering the age group and (in some cases) gender playing the female character. This section is to help you understand the different stages of pregnancy, the time periods that each section falls under with the symptoms that will happen with each stage.

Stage one: Conception and Trimesters

Congratulations! After your naughty shenanigans in the tavern bedroom, you’re pregnant! Now, as this is the Middle Ages (so to speak) you won’t know you’re pregnant straight away and you won’t feel symptoms for at least 3-4 weeks. This is because the baby inside you needs to grow.

Symptoms
-Morning sickness and Nausea
(Doesn’t always happen in the morning! Morning sickness can happen any time and can last for any period of realistic time. Usually, morning sickness stops after 12 weeks [or four months] along with the nausea, however this is totally dependant on the character.
-Feel tired (Lethargic. Sleeping a lot more than normal and getting tired easily)
-Back Pain (As the baby grows, the shape and curve of your spine alters and changes to accommodate for these changes, causing pressure and back pain. This will be ongoing and constant as the spine will constantly be changing to accommodate the growing of the baby.)
-Develop odd cravings you never had before (Your character might hate carrots or potatoes and then suddenly want to eat nothing else but carrots and potatoes. This can last you right through your pregnancy)
-Grow a hatred or dislike to foods your character used to love (Self explanatory. Your character might adore cookies and now can no longer stand the sight of them.)
-Grow more sensitive to smell (So, where you might not notice the smell of flowers or the sea as you walk past, you may now be able to smell it miles away. This can also last you right through your pregnancy and is due to your raised hormones.)
-Mood Swings (As a pregnant lady, you are subject to an increase in horrible hormones, that essentially, will turn you into a monster. This is normal. You can go from happy to a sobbing wreck to blind rage with pregnancy. Again though, bear in mind that it is totally dependant on the character and totally normal.)
-Peeing more! (There is a baby on your bladder. It will treat your bladder as a squeeze toy.)

As you progress through pregnancy, you will start to get bigger. This is a given. You will typically, not start to show until the baby reaches four months. This is when the foetus will have developed legs and arms and so, You may start to feel it kick and move. The movements will increase as each month goes past. This is because the baby is getting more active and bigger for such a tiny space. You may stretch In Character and this may cause the baby to stretch at the same time.

How you may look through pregnancy:  

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-6T1zLLHt6x4/T1jwE70gGPI/AAAAAAAAAhI/N2F2iVRscaM/s1600/Pregnancy-Month-by-Month.jpg

Stage Two :Labour

So you made it through your pregnancy and now it’s time for the labour and birth. This can be the most dreaded time for expectant mothers as there is A Lot of pain. (Like seriously, a lot.)

Now, as the server is a PG rating, there are certain things you can emote and things you definitely can’t. I will explain the basics of what happens in labour and you can use your judgement at what you believe is best for you to emote.

The first stage to labour is your “waters breaking” and your contractions starting. When your waters break, to any passing person, it can look like you’ve... wet yourself. However, this is not the case (Two completely different areas AND two different types of fluid!!!) When your waters break, you should probably seek someone and quickly as you can bet that your contractions will start soon after.

Contractions happen all throughout pregnancy. Usually, they are painless and feel more like a small tightening of the stomach and then relaxing. These contractions do not last very long and do not mean anything bad. During labour, your contractions become longer, lasting 30 seconds to a minute and start to become more painful and frequent, coming every five minutes. (Your contractions are painful because the womb tightens the muscles ready to push the baby out). This means that your baby is due to be born and you should start pushing.

I’ll save the gory details but after some pushing and screaming from the mother,

Your baby is now born!

Complications

The part every expectant and new mother dreads. There are countless complications that can happen to both mother and child during birth. Sepsis to the mother is a big killer. Sepsis is a mass infection of the blood which, in this time period, would kill. It can be caught by lack of hygiene and also if the baby died inside the mother.

• It is vital that a new born baby, when it comes out, screams or cries. This is a major indicator that the baby is breathing, their lungs function and that they are alive. If the baby is not screaming or crying then it is vital you get them warm and start their heart beat. If the heart is not started, then the baby is known to be a stillbirth.
  • If the baby is born with the umbilical cord wrapped around its neck, please cut it immediately or they’ll strangle themselves.

There are countless complications that can happen to both mother and child during birth. Sepsis to the mother is a big killer. Sepsis is a mass infection of the blood which, in this time period, would kill. It can be caught by lack of hygiene and if the baby died inside the mother.

Bones and you

Broken bones can be difficult to fix. What has to be remembered when dealing with a broken bone is the direction the bone broke. If the bone has broken in an odd direction, then it is likely that the bone will need to be re-broken to avoid deformities as it heals. This can be horrible for the person with the broken bone and difficult to do for the healer.

What also needs to be remembered is that if the bone breaks through the skin, then it will need to be pushed back into the skin before splints and bandages can be applied.

Broken bones, especially in this time period, would take a while and will be very very painful

Example:

You look at the broken leg bone as it pokes through a tear in the man’s skin. You pull out gauze to clean up the surrounding blood and cover the protruding bone with a loose piece of gauze. In a slow movement you press down on the bone and push it back into place. While someone holds the broken bone, another must attach a splint and wrap tightly. No weight is to be put onto that leg until the bone has healed.

Or:

You look at the arm as it twists in the opposite direction. While others hold the man down, you grasp his arm tightly in your hand and with a swift, quick and powerful motion, re break the arm. This can be very painful and may cause thrashing and cursing. 

Additional points:

Remember to always bandage a broken bone to hold the bone in place. This is because excess movement will cause the bone to never heal and to grow abnormally.

Advise cactus green for pain or steady amounts of alcohol. The same advice is to be used for sprains as well.

Incision, Abrasions, Punctures and You

The Basics

Incision - A wound caused by a clean, sharp object (knives, razors and glass splinters. )

Abrasions - Grazes that happen on the top layer of the skin. (Like when you fall over and scrape yourself)

Puncture - Wounds caused by punctures in the skin (Arrows,  nails or needles)  

An important point to remember is that where you create the incision or puncture is very important. You have several main arteries within your body and if one of them is damaged, you can bleed out and depending on the severity, die within 30 seconds if no treatment is given quickly(True story).

Abrasions are not serious as it is only the first few layers of skin that get damaged. The only way a complication can arise from an abrasion is when it isn’t cleaned or not cleaned properly. This causes infection.

With regards to punctures, it’s important you check where the foreign “object” is, so that it isn’t where you believe an organ is. In this time, we obviously do not have such preventative measures such as tetanus shots so unfortunately, the chances of getting sepsis, shock, tetanus and infections are high. If this is the case, due to lack of scientific technology, you will eventually die.

It is important to remember that cleaning the wound is important before any removal or treatment to any abrasion, incision, laceration or puncture.

Treating a Bleed

- Firstly, assess the wound. As a doctor you need to ask questions (preferably in ooc so you can know what to do.)

-Where is the wound?
-How deep is it?
-Can you see bone?
-Is there anything inside the wound?
-Is the patient conscious?
-How badly is the wound bleeding?

Assessing is important; you need to get ALL the to be able to start treatment. (Please don’t just jump straight in. You’ll look like a fool )

- Now you’ve assessed the wound you need to control the bleed. Gauze and material are the only useful things here and hold pressure to it

- Once the bleed is under control you can see what needs to be done next. Determine again how deep the wound is. Will is need cauterizing? Will it need stitches? Can you get away with just applying a bandage?

Remember before you close the wound, you need to clean it. You do not want any nasty infections getting inside the body.

Once the wound is closed and you are certain it is clean, bandage it for extra protection.

So, let’s say this chappy was my patient. (Warning, graphic)

http://www.chemicalbiological.net/graphic%20knife%20wound.jpg

• Now, first I would control the bleeding, as for this example we shall say he is bleeding a lot. I would use a lot of gauze and apply a ton of pressure. If you don’t have enough hands, get more. I can see the wound is deep and it’s large. I can also determine this is not a wound I would want to try alone.
  • Now my wound has halted its bleeding, I will clean it. Using water is a bad move unless you know for certain the water is clean. If you are a medic or doctor, try and keep water with you in a bottle (Tips for clean water can be found below). If you have access to ethanol (aka alcohol) then this could be potentially helpful, however, just know that this will be PAINFUL for your patient.
  • Now the wound is clean I would seal it. So, for this case, cauterizing it is not suitable due to its position and size. I would use stitches. I would burn the needle to sterilize it and then use it with thread to close the wound. This will also be painful for the patient so keep that in mind and try to use a sense of delicacy.
  • Now the wounds are sealed and finished; I will know when this is because they will be clean and I would be able to see they’re not bleeding anymore. I place gauze over the top of the wound and wrap a bandage tightly over the wound giving it protection and time to heal. Bandages need to be changed DAILY

The basic principle of cleaning and sealing the wound is something that will happen with abrasions and penetrations too, the difference being that with abrasions, stitching and cauterizing would not be needed and the item penetrating the skin will need to be pulled out.

Arrows

- If the arrow has gone all the way through then break the head of off the arrow and toss aside. Break off the feathers and pull the rest of the arrow out hard. Press with gauze quickly to stop the bleeding

If the arrow hasn’t gone all the way through, push the arrow through and repeat as above.

Hypothermia and You 

(Credit to MrAnderson for the info :) )

Cold Water Shock

While cold water shock usually only happens in cold/arctic conditions, it can just as easily happen on a chilly night, or in the ocean. First, a clearer definition; cold water shock is the reaction your body has to suddenly being immersed in cold water(Like falling off a boat, or diving into a freezing lake to escape a raging band of orcs after your blood). Let's start out with what happens:

Stage 1: For the first 3-5 minutes after immersion a person will gasp for breath. This could be the last breath you'll take if your head is underwater at the time. While most modern procedures assume you're wearing a lifejacket, LotC sadly doesn't have those. Once this period is over, most people start hyperventilating. This usually makes people dizzy, confused and prone to spasms. This is your bodies reaction to protect itself against the cold; by pumping more blood to keep yourself warm. The increased heart rate is sometimes enough to send people with heart conditions into cardiac arrest.

Stage 2: In between the 3-30 minute mark the characters limbs will start to cool. Your muscles ability to contract, their grip strength and manual dexterity will be greatly reduced. The limbs and body will feel numb, and even experienced swimmers will have trouble swimming any more than a few meters, and actually cools your body down faster if you do try swimming.

Stage 3: The drop in core body temperature greatly reduces the persons ability to both think and move. At this stage, self rescue is virtually impossible.

Stage 4: The affected person should not try moving or be warmed up too quickly to avoid passing out. This stage is prone to having heart-attacks, even out of the water.

Hypothermia:

Hypothermia is a condition in which body’s core  temperature drops below normal. Cold Water Shock leads to hypothermia and shares many of the effects. Hypothermia can happen quickly, like being immersed in cold water, or slower, when a person is wet, cold, or both. Hypothermia can place the body in shock. This makes either a quick rescue or shelter necessary.

For now, this is what I will add but I know there are lots more. If you have any questions, points to add, criticisms or comments then please add them. I’m looking for any type of feedback! If you feel like something should be added, feel free to say and I’ll try to add it. 

Thank you for reading! :) 

This will be important for most people to remember. My char will have to deal more than one pregnancy most likely.... He is quite a lady killer.

This is great Gemmy! It is obvious you know a great deal about medical things. I'll be looking forward to seeing all the things you'll be adding later, this'll help me IG for sure. (I get hurt a lot :D)

I felt like I'm reading a expert pregnancy-book p.p

Haha! It's far from it! I was getting so confused with some of the words!

Good stuff Gemmylou, I'l be adding a link to this from the series. :3

I have a feeling that we're going to have a lot of pregnant women now... o_o

I was just wondering. How does a minecraft character feel morning sickness and nausea?

I suppose you'd just emote it. When my character was pregnant, I'd have her run off and vomit frequently :)