[✓] [Awaiting Mat Review] Cognitism

PtahWithin

While I was reading all I could think about was how someone using this magic would appear to be schizophrenic if someone saw them.

However I really enjoyed it!

This is directed as much as the MT as it is to Ptah, but do you guys think this magic could also be used to temporarily "trick" yourself into thinking you lack a certain sense. When you lose the ability to use a certain sense, your body begins to sharpen your other senses almost immediately. For example, when someone comes up behind you and covers your eyes, you seem to almost immediately take far more notice to the texture, size and pressure from the person's hands than you would otherwise. That is actually an unconscious reaction. So do you think it could also make sense that someone would "trick" yourself that you are missing, say, sight, in order to make your sense of hearing, smell, taste and feeling better?

You can do that anyway, can't you?. With meditation. But you will never go beyond human abilities.

Hm...I like it alot. There is one thing that does confuse me though. Let me get this straight: A cognat, after much meditation, is allowed access into this "other" mind, that is like a god-like figure? This other mind then enhances their ability of thought and imagination. Did I get that right? Also, what happens if you fall completely into the other mind? The way you phrase it makes it seem like the cognat has to always keep a balance. But what happens if they fall into one or the other? Do they lose the ability forever? Or do they go insane? Or, even, do they forget their past personality and become someone else? This is unclear for me. Another thing, can the cognat use this to remember something forgotten by watching a vision of it? (EX: They want to get back at the people who destroyed their town, but can't remember who they were/ they use a vision to see it again, most likely being traumatized in the process)

You can do that anyway, can't you?. With meditation. But you will never go beyond human abilities.

Well, -cough- human. (nudges Elindor on his common term, which does not fully apply to lotc ; P).

The logic I see behind this topic is that with this it gets to the point where it's very thought heavy, to the point that what you are doing is thinking so hard you gain inspiration. It's like trying to think of what you're going to write for a report that can be anything from A to Z but you want to make it good, or when you want to impress your boss with your idea on a topic. Only this is tenfold, essentially what you are doing is reworking your subconscious to give you an idea, by tricking it, essentially.

Oh, and I'm new to the thread so I'll go ahead and state my opinion, I want this. This makes a lot of sense to me, and seems to be something that science-minded characters would seek to gain, bridging the gap between science and magic(which... I want. Stop making realistic items like steam power, get magic, be creative! : s), if only slightly. It would add interesting RP to a scene, and allow more visual aids when working with building and other various items, or possibly assembling a device, creating a full three-dimensional "hologram" of the item I'm making and using it like a blueprint, etc. Overall love the concept, and I believe it's solid as it stands.

EDIT:

Hm...I like it alot. There is one thing that does confuse me though. Let me get this straight: A cognat, after much meditation, is allowed access into this "other" mind, that is like a god-like figure? This other mind then enhances their ability of thought and imagination. Did I get that right? Also, what happens if you fall completely into the other mind? The way you phrase it makes it seem like the cognat has to always keep a balance. But what happens if they fall into one or the other? Do they lose the ability forever? Or do they go insane? Or, even, do they forget their past personality and become someone else? This is unclear for me. Another thing, can the cognat use this to remember something forgotten by watching a vision of it? (EX: They want to get back at the people who destroyed their town, but can't remember who they were/ they use a vision to see it again, most likely being traumatized in the process)

I don't speak for ptah, but have spoken to him and have a decent understanding of his concepts.

Through meditation the character does not become "god-like", he merely can have a revelation. This is a simple "inspiration" that could be anything, basically it's like praying to a god to give you an idea, one assumes that if they fail, it would be insanity, should they be incapable of turning it off. However, if you disable the spectator mind(Was confusing for me at first, Spectator mind - believes illusions are real and thus allows cognatism, normal mind can't believe illusions are true but is necessary for sanity) before anything happens, you will be fine. As far as the vision goes, cognats would possibly be capable of rendering in motion events that happened in their subconscious, but only what they have seen in the past. It would be clearer to them than it would be to normal beings accessing a memory, but would not reveal anything that you would not have seen. AKA I can see the front of the building of my childhood, but not the back, because I did not see the back at that time. 

Very interesting! I am really getting very excited to see more writing of this lore. I like it.

--Seventh

I actually really like this. Just the idea of an intellectual kind of magic sounds good to me.

I hope his gets accepted!