Insomnic

Introduction

So, you want to roleplay cooking? Great! Cooking RP is surprisingly fun, and I simply don't see enough of it! It is a very rewarding roleplay, since almost everyone in your surroundings appreciate the atmosphere you bring! Now then, to the actual guide!~

Where to cook?

First of all, you need someplace to cook. You can cook in a

lot of places. If you have a kitchen in your home/base, great! You can also cook in the outdoors at a campfire! Make sure you have tables and/or counters to prepare your food, and chests to store the ingredients and leftovers. You will of course need crafting tables and furnaces to actually make the food with Minecraft mechanics. Make sure there is a chimney or fire pit under your furnace to make RP sense! I would also recommend a brewing stand as decoration for a utensil holder or cup rack, and a cauldron or waterhole for stews and washing dishes. As soon as you have someplace to cook, you will need some tools to cook with!

You can't cook with just your hands!

So you have a place to cook, fantastic! Now you need to get some tools! Of course, none of this is 

necessary but it adds to the roleplay experience, and I highly recommend it. You need a cutting board and a knife to prepare the meats and vegetables. The board can be covered by a wooden pressure plate, and the knife can be covered by a sword. That same cutting board can also be used for molding some dough into bread. Most other tools can be covered by a simple wooden stick! A ladle to try your stews, a big wooden spoon to mix things, etc. To serve your foods, you need plates and cups! Plates can also be represented by wooden pressure plates, while cups can be represented by the mugs brought in by the Brewing Plugin.

Food isn't made from air.

Now to cook, you of course need ingredients! While of course you can grow all of the ingredients in your yard, I

insist that you refrain from doing so. Unless you are very far away from a

city or town, you should have no reason to not just buy from stalls. Playing Minecraft has put many people, myself included, in a do-it-yourself mentality. That's fine, but this isn't Vanilla Minecraft, this is RP Minecraft! While it is fine to keep a small garden in your backyard, please don't make it a diversified one. A small garden of only pumpkins is understandable, but a garden with pumpkins, melons, sugar cane, and wheat just doesn't make sense for a small, backyard garden. Same with meats; try not to hunt all of the meat yourself, or have your own personal animal pen. Unless you're a farmer, animal breeder, and/or hunter, it doesn't make sense! Would your character that is a tough sergeant in the Dwarven Legion with a ridiculously scarred past, conveniently dead/missing family, and in physics-breaking combat actually grow a peaceful garden? Or even have time for it? Also, think of the bigger picture: farmers, animal breeders, and hunters grow/raise/hunt their produce, and then sell to merchants, who then sell to the masses. Lets get some coin into the LOTC economy! Hell, you could try out different stalls from different farms, find a favorite one, develop consumer loyalty, etc, the RP possibilities are endless! So yeah, sorry about that long rant. Basically: grow if you're isolated, buy if your near towns/cities.

Cooking is not done magically!

Right, so you have a place to cook and the tools, great! Now you just get a crafting table, place three wheat horizontally, and voila, bread! Right?

WRONG. While that is acceptable when by yourself and/or when you're in a hurry, it is NOT when you are cooking for some guests at your home or working at a tavern or inn. I know most people don't actually roleplay out cooking when eating with guests at home or working in taverns or inns (if anyone actually physically works at those), but it would be a nice change!

1) First of all, make sure your guests or customers are given proper utensils and a clean area to

eat. Contrary to popular belief, most people don't like to eat their food like wild dogs. Utensils, of course, don't have to be represented physically. You could use a wooden stick if you really want to. Might as well serve them their drinks at this point as well, and maybe an appetizer; something to nibble on as they wait for food.

Example:

Minwoo Snow shows his guests to his dining room, and makes sure that they are all seated comfortably.

Minwoo Snow then goes inside his kitchen and grabs the wooden utensils and napkins.

Minwoo Snow places a napkin on the right hand side of each person.

Minwoo Snow then places a fork, knife, and spoon on each of the napkins.

“What would you chaps like to drink,” he asks.

“A shot of hard liquor would be good, matey,” says Nienna the Drunk.

“A cup of calming tea would be most pleasant,” says the scholarly Dizzy.

“Me nub dreenk nuthin',” spats out Art, the Orc.

“Right...be right back then,” Minwoo says.

Minwoo Snow grabs 2 mugs from the rack, and pours them their desired drink.

Minwoo Snow then places the mugs on the left side of each person.

“Howe lung dis cuckin' ginna tik, pinkie? Me is sturveen' ova' 'ere,” yells Art, slamming on the table like an overgrown child.

“I got just the thin' to 'old ya ova',” replies Minwoo.

Minwoo Snow goes back into the kitchen and grabs 10 loaves of bread that are only a day old.

Minwoo Snow places them into a cute, wicker basket, and places it on the table.

“Rulg, pinkie,” Art yells as he immediately stuffs 5 loaves of bread into his enormous mouth.

2) Wash your hands! I wouldn't want to eat the food cooked by someone who recently killed a zombie with annoyance, somehow scaled a mountain to cut travel time, entered an ancient crypt (think of the dust!), etc.

Example:

Minwoo Snow goes over to the sink and washes his hands thoroughly, making sure every speck of filth is cleansed.

3) Then you would take the ingredients out of their storage, prepare the food, and then cook the food. Easy! But make sure you type out detailed sentences while making your dish!

Example:

“One cooked skyfish coming right up!”

Minwoo Snow grabs a cutting board and a knife, placing them on the kitchen counter.

Minwoo Snow then goes to get a fresh, cold skyfish from storage in the back.

Minwoo Snow washes the fish in the sink to make sure it's clean.

Minwoo Snow then pulls out some spices from a cupboard, and throws them on the fish.

Minwoo Snow then places the fish on the cutting board, and slices it up into bite-size pieces.

Minwoo Snow then throws some logs into the fireplace, and starts a fire with a flint and tinder.

Minwoo Snow then grabs the oven tray that was placed on the counter by the ovens.

Minwoo Snow places the now cut-up fish onto the oven tray, and places it inside the blazing hot oven.

Minwoo Snow stands by as the fish slowly cooks to a crisp golden color.

Minwoo Snow smells that the fish are ready, and pulls them out of the oven.

4) Make sure you emote the smells that would come from the food you made. It greatly adds to the atmosphere of the kitchen and surrounding areas. People also enjoy to smell the emotes and respond with their own emotes, adding to roleplay.

Examples:

The smell of cooked skyfish slowly starts to fill the air, lingering for a long time.

or

The scent of freshly baked cookies invade the air surrounding the

kitchen.

Fancy as f***.

The presentation of your food also matters! Yes, a skillfully cooked meal is nice, but a skillfully cooked meal arranged in a floral pattern is

much more appealing! Also, don't be afraid to mix foods together onto one plate! It doesn't all have to be just steak or just cake. You can also Rply add things like a small amount of lettuce on the side of the steak you just grilled, it doesn't all have to be physically represented. Make sure you have plates to serve the food! If you wanna be fancy, serve your food on a platter; the platter also doesn't have to be physically represented.

Example:

Minwoo Snow grabs a clean, wooden plate and places the grilled porkchop on the center.

Minwoo Snow then grabs some fresh lettuce, and places them in a circle formation around the pork.

Minwoo Snow then lightly pours some sauce on the pork and lettuce.

Minwoo Snow grabs a platter, and places the dish onto it.

Minwoo Snow then slowly walks up towards the customer, and presents the meal.

“Your meal, is served,” says Minwoo to his customer.

Minwoo Snow places the dish in front of the customer.

“I will be in the back if you need me,” Minwoo says.

Do you even cook, bro?

Alright, so now you know how to RP cooking. Yay! But does your character

actually know how to cook? I kind of doubt that your highway bandit that powergames, metagames, and likes to prey on the weak truly knows how to whip up a decent meal. Make your character fail once in a while! Not even a master chef always gets his food cooked right. That steak can be burnt a little, the cookies still a bit raw, you might have used the wrong spice, etc. It adds to the realism that not everyone is a master chef, and can lead to some funny roleplay.

Does your character not know how to cook at all, but wants to learn? Head over to your local library, and roleplay out reading cook books. You could also find a chef and ask to apprentice under him. Getting into cooking is not too difficult, but mastering it is another story.

IMAGINATION~

Lets admit it, the Vanilla Minecraft items do limit the types of food we have. But that doesn't matter, since we can use our

IMAGINATION~. That beef from a cow can be venison from deer, that pumpkin pie can be apple pie, etc. You can even use items that cannot be eaten through Minecraft mechanics. Every farmer always has a retarded amount of extra seeds, why not toast them? They can be salted, toasted, and enjoyed! After you roleplay eating them, just throw them away in an empty area. The best place to do so is in rivers or streams, since people generally avoid those. If there is no where to chuck it, just keep it separate in your inventory to toss later. The possibilities are endless! We are, after all, a roleplay server.

But I don't know how to actually prepare food?

Do you think that has stopped me? Like hell I can actually grill lamp chops into a succulent meat, or bake cookies into a perfectly golden color. You don't know how to prepare a certain type of food? Google that s***! That's what I did when I started, and made a small library of recipes on my browser. Just read the online recipes and guides, and roleplay out making the food as described. It's really not that hard.

Conclusion

Now you know how to properly roleplay cooking! Fantastic! I hope to see many more players

roleplaying out cooking when at their homes, or working at restaurants. I would love to see cooking competitions, where chefs battle to make the better meal for a panel of judges. The /roll would work to decide the taste of the food. But anyways, I hope you guys enjoyed this guide, because it was enjoyable to write. If you noticed that I missed something, think that a portion of this guide should be
explained differently, want to bow down to me and offer me your beautiful daughter, or ridicule me and my stupidity, comment below!

Thanks for reading!

Great guide! It really goes into detail of how people can actually rp food well. My old character can't cook anything so he just makes jerky out of random meats, stale bread, and has a jug of cold coffee

This is a fantastic guide, and I'm glad you made it. I have a chef character with a published cookbook, and I still learned something that would benefit my cooking rp.

Amazing guide! You just inspired me to make my character a cook! I think I might make a new character who's profession is cooking. But anyway, thank you for making this!

Great guide! It really goes into detail of how people can actually rp food well. My old character can't cook anything so he just makes jerky out of random meats, stale bread, and has a jug of cold coffee

haha not everyone is good at cooking

This is a fantastic guide, and I'm glad you made it. I have a chef character with a published cookbook, and I still learned something that would benefit my cooking rp.

I'm glad an accomplished chef like you still learned something! I would love to read that cookbook at some point.

Amazing guide! You just inspired me to make my character a cook! I think I might make a new character who's profession is cooking. But anyway, thank you for making this!

Thank you for enjoying this guide! I would love to cook with your character at some point.

one word.
ILOVEITSOMUCHIWANTTOCOOKTHEWORLDOUTANDOPENARESTRUANTANDMAKEITFAMOUSANDLIKENOBLESANDROYALTYCOMEOVER!

What?... It was one word...

one word.

ILOVEITSOMUCHIWANTTOCOOKTHEWORLDOUTANDOPENARESTRUANTANDMAKEITFAMOUSANDLIKENOBLESANDROYALTYCOMEOVER!

What?... It was one word...

haha thanks. And open a restaurant! I would love to visit it.

*slow clap initiating a clap every five seconds*

yeeeeeeaaaaahh no...

Great guide by the way! I think it's time to direct a few friends... oh wait... just me to read this again! :bored: well... fine then... america...

I have those cookbooks still I think

*slow clap initiating a clap every five seconds*

yeeeeeeaaaaahh no...

Great guide by the way! I think it's time to direct a few friends... oh wait... just me to read this again! :bored: well... fine then... america...

haha uhm thanks?

I have those cookbooks still I think

Yay! Link please?

Great guide!

Thank you!

Two thumbs up

Gracias!