[✓] Potion Of Mending Change Proposal

Supremacy

Potion of Mending proposal:

Potion of Mending:

These concoctions are often the most sought after when those outside of our field are concerned for they are used to knit together the flesh and repair the bone. Potions of Mending are quite the versatile and useful mixture indeed, for they are capable of being used externally as well as internally. Their use stretches from the simplest of cuts to the largest of wounds, but their power is dictated by the ingredients that you use. If one uses poor ingredients, then the potion will be greatly ineffective against large gashes and far more effective for small bruises or scrapes. And of course, the converse is true in the fact that if you use better ingredients, larger wounds will be able to be stitched together by this potion’s amazing properties. For best results, on a few number of deep wounds, have the victim drink one vial of this potion and then apply other doses of it to bandages before wrapping them around their wounds. This will ensure that the victim’s bleeding stops, and their recovery is ever the faster. For numerous, smaller wounds, the best course of action is to simply take one dose of the potion, bandage what you can, and make sure the victim remains still and rests. 

It is notable that this potion does not substitute for a clerical healer. Indeed, alchemy works on the principal of equivalent exchange. In general alchemist potions stick together wounds and broken bones quickly, but with a cost.

There is however a drawback to more powerful potions. While Tippen's root may numb the pain of the wound itself the regents added to a healing potion have various side effects. Any wound healed by a potion so rapidly becomes scar tissue and so using one upon a broken bone would essentially wreck the muscle around the wound. This would mean those who have had their bones healed by alchemy would find themselves barely able to walk, even if they wont be bleeding out anymore.

In addition these potions leave the recipient with various degrees of nausea. If one would heal a bone or heal a stab wound for example the recipient would be left delirious whereas a scratch might just make one mildly ill. 

Don't forget to highlight the second paragraph as red too. That's also a modification. I will respond to this with a proper assessment when I'm done raging about the focii lore.

Change made, I accidentally missed that. The title is also edited to make it clear what the purpose of this thread is.

If it would heal a scratch instantly, then why not a larger wound? Say a 6cm by 2cm gash. If it were to be embrocated along the wound entirely, surely it would only take but a moment more.

Depends on the strength of the potion. This would probably be a medium strength potion. For a Greater Potion of Mending it would probably heal a gash in about a day or two.

Alright. I'm going to begin by addressing a quote you made in your previous thread for retconning Alchemy potions.

The other issue of mending potions was proposed because mending potions are not and should not be behaving like T3 priest healing. In fact, healing bones is likely something that would wear out a T3 priest very quickly. Right now you have individuals cutting people open (doing more damage) to heal a bone instantly, which I don't see as too logical. Given the level of fantasy, opening people up to throw a potion in them should not be an operation. A broken bone, as I see it, should be a broken bone.

As of right now, alchemy is more useful than priest healing, requires no application and can be learnt instantaneously.

As a healer, I cannot stress how completely untrue this is.

Nienna is easily the one of the best alchemical healers in Anthos. Even she, with the current alchemy system, has to shake her head in wonder at clerics and druids sometimes. I don't know where the idea that Alchemy currently equals clerical magic, because as far as I've seen, clerical healing literally blows alchemy away in every category.

Now, why is this? Let me list a couple of reasons.

Clerical healing is quick. When I do surgical RP, I can easily eat up an hour of time writing up fifty emotes to properly heal a broken bone. Clerical and druid magic, on the contrary, can do it in five. That's so fast that quite honestly it's scandalous.

Clerical healing can fix things that doctors don't even know about. I've personally seen Clerical magic, still in only a few emotes, literally remove an entire tumor in the brain and replace the tumor with fully functional brain tissue. This couldn't be done with medieval methods. Heck, this couldn't even be discovered by medieval instruments, yet Clerics can fix these impossibly easily.

Druidic magic is also capable of quickly replacing limbs and tongues with wood, and eyes with spider-eyes. While many of the non-MA holding druids got loreslapped for this practice, it remains possible for Healing druids like Savictus to preform still, as I understand.

Clerical and Druid magic can also do Organs. If any single part of a player's organs are pierced, a player is more or less doomed without magic. This is especially in the digestive tract in particular, where digestive enzymes and bacteria will quickly cause Sepsis and death in the user when exposed to the blood stream. Clerics and druids can heal all of this, easily.

Also, on the topic of poison, Druids and Clerics win again. I've literally seen Savictus prop my character up with vines and draw out all of the venom in my character's body in two short emotes. If a healer doesn't know the kind of poison a person is afflicted with, that person is basically doomed. Nienna herself retroactively collects information and samples of deadly poison for use in counteracting it. In fact, she has a 50 page Minecraft book she's acquired on every kind of poison she can find, for the sole purpose of trying to cure them all individually.

In summary, Alchemy equals Cleric magic? Non. Not even close.

Now, onto this post once more:

There is however a drawback to more powerful potions. While Tippen's root may numb the pain of the wound itself the regents added to a healing potion have various side effects. Any wound healed by a potion so rapidly becomes scar tissue and so using one upon a broken bone would essentially wreck the muscle around the wound. This would mean those who have had their bones healed by alchemy would find themselves barely able to walk, even if they wont be bleeding out anymore.

Another point that needs mentioning is scar tissue. Mending potions do not create scar tissue, it prompts the cells in the body to begin dividing rapidly, thereby creating scar tissue as a result. Cells that divide for the purpose of forming scar tissue will be made of the same kind of tissue they were hewn from. Muscle tissue will divide to form muscle tissue, skin will divide to become additional epidermal tissue, Bone cells will divide to become bone once more, and Arteriole and capillary walls will divide and expand as far as they are able. There will be a brief period of instability, but once the body breaks up unnecessary tissue the body should return to proper, functioning order.

I would recommend, instead, a minimum amount of time after a bone mending surgery in which a bone would be mended, but also hopelessly brittle. So brittle, in fact, such that any medium force could break the bone easily. This prevents characters from having to wheelchair RP for months on end, and provides a very visible weakness for them to contend with.

Last but not least, don't replace pain with nausea. The entire basis of the lore is that it should hurt like heck when being used, so I don't see why that should change.

P.S. An outdated argument on Bone mending, should it ever be brought up:

As for bones, I will respond to another quote from the last thread in alchemy.

To a certain degree I feel like medieval people not being able to heal broken bones is exactly what my goal is. This gives people a reason to hunt down healers as opposed to going to their local alchemist (of which there is always one) drinking a potion and then feeling all better instantaneously.

The goal here is to make it not like priest healing but rather to make it accelerated healing. That way you have a little healing, a little fireball, a little alteration in a subtype. Not T3 Fire Evocation, T4 enchanting (since really, it takes a lot of power to be able to make one's skin stone, think faster or run faster) and T3 priest healing.

Alchemy right now is 5 magic subtypes pooled into one, without the disadvantage of fatigue and it is available to everyone. This is the key thing I'm trying to fix. While I do understand you have been doing these things for a while, the point is to make alchemy an 'equivalent exchange'.

Making bones unable to heal with alchemy will do two, very annoying things. First, without the ability to mend bones in a logical manner, healing RPers other than myself are going to start healing in a very visibly illogical manner. This seems like a rather slippery-slope fallacy, but judging by the amount of times I've seen a splinted bone considered as a healed one already, it's very true.

Though, even in the case where healing RPers do not allow themselves the ability to mend bones, you start up a very trying process of the players either waiting for days as they search for one of the rare magical healers scattered about Anthos. This is incredibly hard, and I can Guarantee that a sizable portion will just start using the monks as an excuse for healing their injuries.

It is of very definite note that any clerical, alchemical, or druidic healer can instantly be made inconsequential by a visit to the OOC monks. Not only is it incredibly easy, but lacks absolutely any RP. In my opinion, anything, anything at all that might cause RP reasoning to drift away from that of using monks to heal every Boo-boos is absolutely invaluable, and should almost never be tampered with.

As for equivalent exchange? The amount of blood lost when opening up a person surgically is easily a good trade-off for less than a half-ounce of bone tissue. Anyone undergoing the surgery will be weak as a kitten for a good week after any surgery, and I tell my patients as such.

P.S.S. If anything were to be done about nerfing alchemical healing, I'd instead suggest This lore in particular.

... This is what happens when I leave for 24 hours. I miss Hex slapping logic stickers all over alchemy changes.

This topic has been approved. 

Locked, awaiting move. 

Move to Accepted Lore for the next stage. Please hold use till Implemented.