[Idea] Deaths

MamaBearJade

Okay, now I am about suggest something a bit...daring.

Now, dying holds /no/ character development. So here is what I propose.

I understand we can not remember anything of the events during or leading up to the death of our character. However, what about being told by the monks how or feeling how.

Such as Drowning. Most people who nearly drown get a fear of water. What about characters who die of drowning? They get nothing. They can fully forget about it with no repercussions.

What about getting stabbed? No repurcussions. Dying by Torture, nothing.

What I propose is we remember or at least have that "sense" of the /how/ we died. Though its very vague and can put a fear into the character.

How to avoid metagaming:

They cant know the whom did the act

They cant know the place

They cant know anything more than the feeling they drowned, were stabbed, head curbstomped, or even the suffocating of being buried alive....

It would be a physical memory, not anything that can give any clue to WHO or WHERE they died

How one should roleplay it:

Jamie strangles Misty to death.

Misty wakes at cloud temple with the sickening feeling of someone's hands on their neck.

Doug stabs Stu in the chest over armor.

Stu wakes in the cloud temple, a dull throb in his chest from a stab.

Donald drowns susan in the bathhouse.

Susan wakes in the cloud temple having trouble breathing as if she was drowning.

But its just an idea to add to roleplay and give deaths a little more meaning.

Edit: This is not something i think everyone /has/ to follow, but more if people want to be able to. Such as those who want their death to mean something after the fact

Isn't this already allowed?

And yes, for PVP it doesn't work, but that doesn't make the non pvp deaths not work.

Also, I assume this is having a feeling of the death they had, not getting fear. Like, the drowned, some people who almost die in water get afraid of water, others just think of it as bad luck and continue to do what they had before. Depends on the people.

[Edit] Also having pain in your neck from being decapitated, having a mild sensation when being near water, having a tingly feeling in one's chest, having nightmares of blood gushing through your face, having your back feel hot when you see fire, remembering your own screams when you can't move... can't actually be abused...

What can be abused is something of the kind of remembering the exact type of weapon and area of attack that is exacly the same weapon and way of killing as X. Which we all know is pure metagaming.

But heck, I have roleplayed before having an unnatural fear of someone after being killed by them, is that really metagaming?

Not a bad idea, though it could be meta-game'd and might be hard to explain to newbies. If those two kinks could be worked out, I'd roll with it.

EDIT - Though I'd suggest not forcing the fear on people, just giving them the option.

No, this wasnt to make "Perma-death" enforced but more they get a feeling that they had suffered something horrible such as a sudden fear of water and the slight /hazy/ memory of it. Or even the /hazy/ memory (like a physical memory) of being stabbed.

Nothing that is visual memory, just a physical memory

Unfortunately , this can't be show due to mechanic default , such as PVP. No sane player is suddenly going to stop against a lake because they 'remember' a feeling. Also , let's say someone dies every possible way (not easy , but it could happen) , what then? Do they just kill themselves because it's too much to bare? There's too many loop-holes and obvious faults in this to be taken correctly.

So -1 from me.

Its not something they /have/ to remember. This is so those of us who /want/ to add to our own personal roleplay. I honestly find dying bland cause there is nothing that comes from it. Its not forcing people to do this but for us who want to add a new aspect to roleplay

Its not something they /have/ to remember. This is so those of us who /want/ to add to our own personal roleplay. I honestly find dying bland cause there is nothing that comes from it. Its not forcing people to do this but for us who want to add a new aspect to roleplay

But how would this apply in Lore? Some people can't just magically get this feeling out of the blue for no reason.

Other people generally benefit from your death, ain't all about you! I personally know this would be massively abusable so i'm going to have to say no personally.

I misread this at first, but so long as no metagaming (This opens a lot of possible loopholes) comes of it, I think it's a good idea.

Other people generally benefit from your death, ain't all about you! I personally know this would be massively abusable so i'm going to have to say no personally.

Well...

Who should benefit more , the person who started the RP to kill someone , or the person who is spending their time dying for other people? I know which one I'd pick.

*Shrugs*

I think it's a good idea.

+1

Edit: I mean it would be difficult to moderate, and would be easily abusable, but if people use it the way you are intending it to be used, it'd work well.

But how would this apply in Lore? Some people can't just magically get this feeling out of the blue for no reason.

Its an idea to add to roleplay not lore. Something that allows us to gain a little addition to our own roleplay as well.

Yes they still gain, but most of us gain a "Well i just lost 30 mins of roleplay....welp that was pointless". This is why I am keeping it as a physical memory. Ever get a dull pain from something that happened years ago? You may not remember what happened, but you remember the pain or feeling.

I misread this at first, but so long as no metagaming (This opens a lot of possible loopholes) comes of it, I think it's a good idea.

I am open to making it more metagaming proof besides making it only about the physical memory. You cant pin off of a touch that Joe bob was the one who shanked you, just that you remember feeling stabbed. Or that Jamie Simons strangled you to death on your honeymoon, just the uncomfortable feeling like someone had their hands on your neck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JIbFLH7FFY

I actually like this, I myself am writting up a whole post.
With a proposal and an offer as towards any king or leading figure to play a game of death with me.

Since it is utterly annoying to see people hopping around after you killed them.
There are even several people that hop up towards your character, intentionally fooling around with him..

Ofcourse, you could not force this upon people.
But I already do this, simply by asking players or they could do etc etc
This is a handy thing, yet I think if you simply speak with the player in question.

That you could easily achieve this, it is what I do..

EDIT: Someone tell me how I can put a nice youtube video Q_Q

Its an idea to add to roleplay not lore. Something that allows us to gain a little addition to our own roleplay as well.

This is like the 'wings' kinda lore. It's not very... friendly , for other players. You can easily remember how you died and then somehow link it to a location or an enemy of yours. Too much chance to abuse , not enough chance for 'fun-for-both-sides' roleplay.

And yes, for PVP it doesn't work, but that doesn't make the non pvp deaths not work.

Also, I assume this is having a feeling of the death they had, not getting fear. Like, the drowned, some people who almost die in water get afraid of water, others just think of it as bad luck and continue to do what they had before. Depends on the people.

[Edit] Also having pain in your neck from being decapitated, having a mild sensation when being near water, having a tingly feeling in one's chest, having nightmares of blood gushing through your face, having your back feel hot when you see fire, remembering your own screams when you can't move... can't actually be abused...

What can be abused is something of the kind of remembering the exact type of weapon and area of attack that is exacly the same weapon and way of killing as X. Which we all know is pure metagaming.

But heck, I have roleplayed before having an unnatural fear of someone after being killed by them, is that really metagaming?

This is like the 'wings' kinda lore. It's not very... friendly , for other players. You can easily remember how you died and then somehow link it to a location or an enemy of yours. Too much chance to abuse , not enough chance for 'fun-for-both-sides' roleplay.

Thats why its a physical memory. You cant truly remember details. Joes hand could be the same size as Florance. Just cause you felt the pain does not mean you can know who hurt you

You were the one who actually gave me the idea orig with the blue mustache and his fear of kaila