Lore Master - General Post

Pandan

Lore Master - General Post

After a brief spark of thought I’ve decided to throw together this post in order to explain a few key principles of your lore team that have failed to be listed anywhere. Hopefully this should address any lacking information that you may be curious towards, in turn helping you within future projects!

What are the rules on proposed lore?

Frequently, players will have ideas for additions to the canon lore of LoTC, whether it be for magic, creatures, and even plants and the like. When writing this lore, there are some rules you should follow, which are the following:

Spoiler
  • Respect LOTC fantasy theme. No guns, no cannons, no lasers, no flame-throwers, etc.

Spoiler

LOTC is a fantasy server, yes, this is true, and indeed, in many "fantasies", muskets, guns, cannons, steampunk etc etc are deemed fantasy like. However, that is the fantasies set down by the creator's of those fantasies. Worlds created by the writer out of their imagination based on how they see the world and what they wish the world to be.

LOTC is not one of these fantasies, however, LOTC is its own fantasy, with its own governing rules, mythology and technology. A world apart from worlds such as Fable's 2 and 3 or even the real world.

I won't go on to talk about how the nature of muskets will lead on to cannons because real world history dictates that this is what happens. Our world is set beyond that of the real world, with its own history and back-story. The progression of technology in the real world does not mean that LOTC must follow a similar line of progression.

However, and I must state this clearly, LOTC's fantasy is based around medieval esque tendencies, drawing deeply from such fantasies such as Lord of the Rings by J R R Tolkien or Eragon or Harry Potter or many, many other fantasies. And in this world we call LOTC there is unfortunately no place in this world for cannons, guns, muskets, etc...

Lets be real here, if muskets were to be accepted onto the server we would all of a sudden see everyone running around with one, entire armies would start fielding muskets out of thin air almost as everyone grabs at the new shiny source of power that is guns. It would make Crossbows and bows in general completely redundant, removing the RP that was once there (though little it may be already) and replacing it with gun rp.

We originally removed Gunpowder from LOTC after the introduction of cannons (originally created by the trade nation Alras), however, it was removed after it became apparent that no one had any restraint over their usage and finding of said technology, even though Alras never actually did hand said cannons out to anyone (apart from the specifically broken cannons they made for a certain nation which then went on to say that they fixed the cannons). Effectively many powergamed/metagamed the creation of cannons and it became more of a fad materialistic item to have said weapons in your arsenal as a nation leader or a Guild leader. The same will happen with muskets if they were to be introduced, we’ve seen it, others have seen it happen before with other things similar to this, muskets are no different. It will just be the same song and dance that will end in exactly the same way as it started, with the removal of said devices.

Finally, the RP behind muskets, generally the RP for cannons became very much a dull and "dumbed down" form of rp when it came to fighting, it wasn't so much if you could hit the target and cause damage it was more when the walls would fall, because cannons are bigger than castle walls. We know this to be true because after their invention, the creation of castles nearly ceased to be anyways IRL as it probably would be in our world as well. Muskets, though lengthy in their emote to reload, could have the same result by simply preloading said device then the RP of a person holding a musket would be reduced to two emotes, aim, and fire. And given how everyone is apparently a master marksman no matter the range and are always capable of hitting someone square in the eyes from 200 meters away, the musket will not see any sort of downfalls from firing at range.

• New races require both LM and Admin approval, getting them accepted is a difficult act.

• Do not mention the Creator in lore, unless it’s mentioned in some character's writing. The creator is not a confirmed lore-canon deity, as in, it does not interfere with any of the descendants.

• No copy-pasted lore from non-LoTC sources. Inspiration is acceptable, however ensure it fits with LOTC lore.

• Souls are a delicate thing to mention in lore. It is better to not mention it, or mention it very lightly. Any lore that states how a soul works/what it is will be denied, some things are to be left vague.

• When writing lore, consider whether it feature things that are already possible/existent in LoTC. I.E. when writing a magic, make sure there isn't any magic that can already do the things you want to do.

• ETs can play creatures that they want, but if you wish for a fantasy creature to be accepted to be played by ETs, then remember they will be subjected to evaluation of powergaming, lore breaking instances, and imagination.

• Do not create cultures which have beginnings in Athera before the rest of the people came from Anthos, or any other land that did follow the main story (Aegis-Asulon-Anthos-Athera). Lore Team suggests that you create the cultures IG, and not with a lore thread.

• Fully new languages require Lore Masters approval, yet bastardization of common (english) with accent and few other words, which have RP reasoning and RP name can be roleplayed without lore, such as adding the occasional odd word into common english from another language.  I.E. Don't call a new language Greek, and don't write fully in Greek, because not only will very few people understand you on the server, but you also allude to the IRL location which is not canon within our world.

• You can roleplay IRL animals and plants without writing lore for them. This does not mean roleplaying as the animal, but roleplaying with an animal, be it in a hunt, as a pet, and so on. Slight changes to IRL animals and plants are also acceptable (don’t start making fire wolves, but you can make a wolf with red fur.)

• Unless you feel extremely confident in your writing don’t try to write lore for Aenguls and Daemons. They require a reason to exist, a goal to accomplish, good roleplay opportunities, and a reason to interact with the descendants. Pocket Aenguldaemons will be Denied (those that are made for a minor group or very few players).

• Please do not post WIP lore in the Lore section, do so instead in the Roleplay section. You can ask a LM or FM to then move it to the Lore section when complete.

• No single lore master can give approval for a piece of lore independently. Only a discussion and vote amongst the members of the LT shall affirm approval. If you are found Lore Master shopping (asking the same questions to different LMs to get the answer you want), you will get in trouble.

How is lore reviewed?

For starters we try to review lore with an unbiased and objective view, we have to have faith that when implemented (if implementation is even reasonable, sometimes lore may in fact be denied because bringing it into the world of LotC is too difficult.) it will in fact come to be useful and fitting to the world and pre-existent lore of LotC. To try and simplify this concept I’ll explain it through a few basic rules.

1) Ensure it fits within the already present lore. If you present something that does not make sense and interferes with pre-existent concepts we can hardly accept it. Do research before writing, ensure it fits.

2) Don’t have it cloning effects of an already present lore. We want something unique and not already done, even if it's an entirely other power source it may still produce the same effects. There shouldn’t be work arounds for anything!

3) Make it reasonable. This rule is sometimes much harder to see when you’ve wrote something, we’ve all experienced it myself including. Step back from your work and really look at what it's adding; is it overpowered? Is it needed? Is it going to enhance roleplay?

4) No ‘personal lore’. Now this requires some greater explanation, because minor concepts such as perhaps an enchanted sword with a ‘slightly’ unique effect may be perfectly acceptable. However don’t present something that turns you into a super empowered daemon who cannot be stopped!

Now this isn’t me saying following these four rules will lead to insta-accept because quite frankly it won’t, many other factors are considered within the process that may restrict acceptance however following these key principles will definitely increase your chances.

Now to answer the actual question; how is lore reviewed? Well, within the vote they’re five different options each LM can put in relation to the lore.

Y -   Yes!

N -   No!

!!! -  Needs improvement!

U -   Undecided

A -   Abstain

Lore being denied is slightly more simple and usually occurs when a overwhelming (12 LM’s, 7 N’s) are placed upon a piece. This would mean it would unfortunately come to be denied. Acceptance can follow two routes; the simply idea of gathering a massive amount of Y’s and getting easily accepted! Also the option where there is only a narrow distance between Y & N and in turn we give you options to address, should you do so by the time granted your lore will be put in for second review.

Can I be a Lore Master?

Simple answer; maybe!

Unlike other teams we do not have a basic application including name, age, etc. Because putting it bluntly we place very little care into those aspects. The LM role has many roles and requires a vast range of skills including; writing capability, ability to review lore and also communicate with people posing questions. If you believe you can attribute to all three of those categories then I suggest choosing one of the following three pieces of lore and working with it. Do what you feel needs to be done from re-writing it to giving it a solid review.

Sword of dark light.

Spoiler

Created in the depths of Urguan’s cave in Asulon. Dwarves of all clans were witness to the making of the great swords, Frostbeard, Irongut, Grandaxe were just a few. Made with great materials, materials almost impossible to work with. Obsidian, Thanhium, even bedrock. Not only were great blacksmiths needed, but as well beings with dark powers. Necromancers and Undead had joined ranks, hidden by some of the dwarves to be able to create it. Together with them, two dwarven priests were there as well. Hammers made of the bones of rare creatures, pincers made of dragon’s scales, and in the great lava lakes the materials would melt. It was time.

The priests started their chanting, praising the Brathmordakin. Bright lights started coming from the priest’s words. The materials bend and make cracking noises as the magic light touches it. Only then do the Undead and Necromancers come, close to the forged weapon they extend their arms, and black mist starts mixing with the light in the sword. It’s thin blade shining a black light.

With the blessing and curse complete began the troubles. Just a connection of dark and holy powers, everyone wanted it. In no time everyone was yelling, and soon enough fighting was happening. Throughout the fights, and the magic, the walls started to shake. A young Irongut is the first to grab the Sword of Dark Light, and swings it at someone. The blade does what it was meant to. Bright lights flow from the sword and grip the other dwarf. Dark lights then come from him, and he falls dead, now soulless. It was not soon enough that the remains of the dwarves, the victorious ones, but tired and injured, found out, that they were trapped in. Trapped with a weapon which could steal the souls of mortals for more power.

A century later an old Grandaxe, after years of digging through some ruins finds the mythical place where the old sword awaited him.

Bubble Staff

Spoiler

“Oh greatness is grand when you have the staff, the bubble staff. I got it, I did, I worked long and hard for it. It’s wood is slippery, I made it myself from one of the trees in that place. Oh that place… I remember it like it was yesterday… It was last month when I passed the portal to the lands in the void. The vegetation there was quite peculiar, it was purple, the trees, the grass, the bushes, everything was purple. I saw a bunny, I think it was a bunny, it was made of yellow goo and transparent. It was quite refreshing to drink it.

But the staff, the staff of course, the staff which can turn everything into foam. Oh, it’s such a giggle really, it turns everything that way, all except my own hands of course, as I made it. I made it from the branch of the biggest Void Tree in that floating island in the Void. Such great times they were. Did you know I had to talk to Horen V to get the portal open? It was a grand time, and he was quite polite. Truly the chosen of the creator, he had the power to grant the key the necessary magic to open the portal. It was in Skravia, those great lands of the Holy Oren Empire.

Many years of research later, and I found the location where to open the portal, and I was once more amazed. I had to travel from my home in Embermoor back to Brom'kah of Anthos, I used my own Conjuration magic to travel there faster. I was able to reach it light the place with the holy key. Such marvels. I remember that I was able to leave while the war against the Undead was happening, I believe I escaped slaughter.

Now, I must speak more of the staff itself, I mentioned it was made by me, so only I can use it. This is because what ever else touches it becomes foam, FOAM! Can you imagine your hand turning to foam? I have had my laughs about it several times. Swords turning into foam when I block them, armor turns to foam when I hit it with the staff. Of course I do not want to fight with it, it loses all hardship, just because I am so fast and strong makes it impossible for me to lose.

Such laughs I have.”

Plain of neutrality.

Spoiler

Deep within the mountains of Kal’Agner laid an ancient gateway; crafted by the very hands of the creator as he grew the mountains from earth. Although as time had passed and the gateways control swapped hands between the many races its power grew dormant and empty as its once guiding light into another plain of existence struggled to pull through the mortal kind once more. However during an expedition deep into the mountains of the dwarven stronghold a human whose quest to find the portal merely written in books and journals had expired hundreds of years, now his prize was in sight as the portal lay within its opal brilliance.

Already having the plans established, the portal required the energies of many to become merged and flow evenly into the portals frame as one. So gathering the strongest of Iblees’ undead, the grandest of Tahariae’s warriors and the wisest of voidal mages he bought them before the portal, all agreeing to share the power that remained hidden behind this ancient frame. Upon a single word the different groups cast their varying beams as they soon collided within a beautiful array of rainbow like texture, hitting the portal as it sparked and grinded as the emptiness of within soon lit up with a perfect sheet of white.

They had formed the plain of neutrality; a place so powerful and brilliant it marveled the creators capabilities as the several groups flocked inwards. However the inside of the portal rejected that of the different forces as they remained unbalanced; the portal ripping apart their frames and leaving only the human to stand within. As he watched the others perish beneath the blinding white a voice spoke out to him, speaking the many words of creation as a spark of bountiful energy ignited a hidden force within him. The power of creator now flowed through the being as he left the plain of neutrality, the portal closing behind as no others are allowed to pass its gates. His power would be unknown to man, some saying that he holds more than Aengudaemon’s themselves.

You may submit it through a simple forum PM to myself or any other member of the lore team, remember if numbers are currently high amongst the team (10-12+) applications may sit without significant response due to us not currently recruiting. We assure you once people leave due to various purposes and places open, the application will be surfaced for review. However I will also note atop all these.. notes, if an application is beyond perfect you may be considered to be added atop the already present number. Such a conclusion is only met with the very best applications and writing standard.

Who is upon the lore team?

Lore Admin

Tsuyose

Team Leader

Benboboy

Lore Masters

hellfiazz

Ski_king3

Jistuma

Swgrclan

ilikefooddude

Farryn

Cracker

Zarsies

501warhead

Supremacy

What do we do to contact you?

If you have questions about anything involving the lore master’s from actual lore questions, perhaps you want to submit lore or even  applying for the position itself then feel free to send a forum PM to myself or anybody upon the list. From there we’ll either continue it amongst the forums or for slightly more complicated issues perhaps bring it into skype!

Outdated, new post is already up. Moved to outdated lore.