[13] The Iron Tree

Supremacy

Author/s: Mithradites

REGION 13: The Iron Tree

Upon one of the larger islands in the Thousand Isles, an adventurer may come across a most peculiar sight in the centre of a wooded area; a tree made entirely of iron.

It, and the surrounding area, appear to have transformed into precious resources--grass and leaves have turned to emeralds, bark to iron, and sand to gold. Unlike the other peculiar plants, the iron tree in the very centre appears to have no emerald leaves of any kind.

Upon nearing the outskirts of the tree, a player will receive the following automated message.

"You see the iron tree, and the emerald ground. This place is impossible. You feel a throb in your head as you stare at your surroundings-almost as if your mind rejects what it sees."

If a player chooses to go even closer, they will receive another message.

"The pain in your head increases as you move closer to the tree. This thing isn't natural. It's an abomination that should not be in this world."

At some point, a book will be thrown into the game-world reading the following:

Bark of Iron

[The pages seem to be written in a near-illegible scrawl]

Bark of iron, deep in the south. The rip in existance that we must embrace! It gives gifts! It gives wonderful gifts to those who serve! A blade most perfect! So perfect that it does not belong in our world!

All it takes is a few drops of blood! A few drips from your wrist, and it shall awaken! And when it does, it will look upon you with such favour! The sweetest favour! It is an impossible thing, but it is a wonderful thing! Seek it out, brothers and sisters!

Seek it seek it seek it deep in the south, for amongst the Islands of the Ankulos Peninsula, it waits for others to appreciate its luminescence!

[A second piece of writing by a different hand is scribbled below the first]

Do not trust it. The tree is evil in a way that I cannot comprehend. Take only its first gift, and then never return. 

[A third piece of writing by yet another hand is scrawled at the very bottom of the page.]

Take nothing from it! It wants only to consume! It consumes everything! It will consume you! I can't get it off me I can't get it off me I can't get it out of me

only flame will end it

BurN th TrEE

[The writing trails off to nothing.]

The Player’s Response

If a player places fire near the tree, it will appear to melt like ice with the metal puddling like water and hardening once more in its new state. The tree will show no reaction to this, and if enough fire is applied it will melt completely. However, over time it will reform to its previous tree-like state.

If a player is to give a few drops of blood to the tree, it will awaken.

/setname The Iron Tree

*sways slightly, as if in a breeze. The air, however, is completely still. Your throbbing headache begins to pound, but you cannot look away.

*exudes a metallic sigh, and loud screeches of iron scraping against iron emanate from the trunk.

[!] The noise reaches a crescendo, and a hairline fracture upon the trunk begins to tear open into a horrible, cragged maw.

[!] The tree inhales slowly, and the branches shudder and knock together, creating a horrifying cacophony of shrill metallic sounds.

*'s maw begins to settle, and slowly stretches into what can only be identified as a smile.

"My salutations."

[!] Its voice is that of innumerable people whispering in perfect unison. Thinking on how it moves its mouth in that fashion makes your head pound further.

*takes a moment to inhale again. Speaking apparently being greatly difficult for it.

"I am pleased you have taken the time to nourish my roots. Those who serve me in such a way are rewarded."

[!] With accompanying shrill screeches, the iron branches extend downwards slowly.

*shudders violently for a moment, before a chunk of the closest branch drops off at [player's name here]'s feet.

[!] The chunk begins to contort and liquidise upon the ground, before slowly reforming.

[!] The chunk reforms completely into slender, beautiful sword. Its metalwork appears flawless, and covered in intricate floral designs.

*inhales slowly again, and its smile grows wider still.

"Should you wish for more rewards, bring me more nourishment, my friend."

Despite what it may seem, the tree is not very intelligent, as it operates mostly on the instinct to feed. Furthermore, it cannot see, hear, or detect any creature that has no blood (E.g. Golems, liches, Dread Knights. It can detect necrotic beings, so long as they have blood in their corpse). Any conversations struck with it will be quickly driven back to the topic of nourishment, and rewards. If asked where it came from, it will answer after a short cackle.

"There are no words in your tongue to explain my existence. But how I came to be here? I first went up, but at the same time I went down. I tore a hole, and pushed my roots through."

If they ask where this hole is, the tree will reply only with "Everywhere."

If they ask why it came to this particular place, it will only answer "Less competition."

It will not elaborate on either of these answers, stating that they wouldn't understand it.

The Sword

Name: Choose from "The Rose," "The Daisy," or "The Tulip."

Type: Iron Sword

Effect: Highest unbreaking enchantment.

Description: An impossibly beautiful sword made entirely of steel, from the hilt, to the tip of the blade.

Should a player use the sword to slay a sentient creature, any blood that gets on the blade will immediately disappear, as if being absorbed. If a player kills two with the sword, the blade will grow slightly, and attach itself to the player-character's hand. It will not be removed in any way via magic or conventional means, short of getting the hand cut off.

If the player returns to the tree, it will advise them to touch the sword against the trunk, and blood will immediately flow out of the trunk and pour upon the roots of the tree. The tree will thank them for doing so, and explain that there is a great reward if the player kills six others. If the player refuses the offer, the tree will strike out with its branches, drain them of their blood, and toss the corpse away.

If the player accepts the offer, they will slowly be overtaken in both body and mind with every kill. Upon the third kill, the player-character will begin to forget their friends, family, and history. By the fourth kill, the player-character will have no recollection of anyone it knew before the tree. By the fifth kill, the player-character will become emotionless, and will not speak unless necessary. By the sixth kill, the player-character will be nothing but a mindless husk. Each time a kill is performed, the metal from the sword will grow over more of the body--twisting around them like vines. They will be compelled will return to the tree, and offer the blood they collected. The tree will then wordlessly strike out with its branches, absorb the player-character's blood, and afterwards discard the corpse. There is no way to win in this scenario.

Killing the Tree and its Thralls

Though it will melt from fire, it will reform back to its original state after a few days. It may only be killed if it has been awoken.

Fire is the only method by which it can be destroyed; any other conventional weapon will just bounce right off its iron body. Even the smallest flame can melt the tree in some capacity. Obviously this is rather painful after it has awoken, and it will do its best to kill the one doing so. Once it has been melted to a considerable extent, a large, blood-red ruby (only visible if awoken) will be visible, and can be destroyed with conventional weapons.

When such is done, the tree, and all things from it, will be sucked towards the place of the broken ruby, and disappear entirely. Thralls still with metal growths will be immediately released, and their weapon removed. There is no reward for destroying the tree, aside from the precious materials that lay around it.

The thralls can be killed conventionally, but are particularly suseptable to fire. Should any wounds be near the metal growths, the sword will suck the thrall dry of its blood, kill them, and then retract its growths before returning to its original state upon the ground.

Thrall Kill/Change Rules:

One kill: The sword will absorb any blood it comes into contact with.

Two kills: The sword will attach itself to the player-character's hand.

Three Kills: The player-character will begin to forget their family, friends, and personal history. The metal of the sword will thread itself around the whole sword-arm.

Four Kills: The player-character will recollect nothing prior to the tree, and a desire to kill two more people. The metal now snakes partially around the torso.

Five Kills: The player-character has no desire to speak, or do anything other than finding a last kill. They will not stop to eat or sleep. The iron now fully covers the torso, and winds around the neck.

Six kills: The player-character will become an emotionless, unfeeling thrall. It will feel an irresistible compulsion to return to the tree. Once there, they will place the sword against the tree, and the blood from the sword will be absorbed into the trunk. The tree will then strike out at the thrall with its branches, and absorb the player-character's blood. They will die, the tree will re-absorb the sword, and then toss away the corpse.

If a thrall is killed, the sword will return to its original flowery state. The next to pick it up will inherit the growths that apply to its current number of kills.

Disclaimer: Anything that isn't covered in here can be interpreted personally by the person playing the iron tree, so long as it fits its character.