[RUNE LORE ADDON] Flesh Runes

chaotikal

EhjkXvTpvCm8kStPhMRWGVd3vi4gR9W_DezUVQX6

INTRODUCTION

Kal’Asgol, the city beneath the southern wastes of Asulon was once a thriving community filled with exotic dwarves known as the Derva, once sons of Urguan, whom left alongside ancient elves (later known as Mori’Quessir) following the great exodus of the second war against Iblees. Arriving to Asulon, two communities were formed. The Dormar and Karikmar. These two groups of people created their cities, one into the dungeons and entwining caverns of Asulon, and the other into the very stone of Mount Karik.

Both shared their origins (Derva), but they both were very different. After Karik’s first fall to the Dragons leading to it’s initial abandonment, the king of the Dormar took them in, and such began a time of imperialistic expansion, with several tunnels ways being opened to the surface and the technology within both people being combined. The smithing ways of Karik arrived to Asgol and produced an industrial revolution, which lead to the modification of the entire city to focus around forging.

_YCbWHB-TFEmaop95NkOe9IIqqXL4wHW6-AY-DxR

Flesh Runes were discovered by the arrival of the Doomforged into the ruins of Kal’Asgol following the fall of Kal’Karik to the Dragon awakening within the throne room. The Doomforged, following King Thorik’s guidance, found a tunnel to shelter within, and found the tunnel’s end to possess a large door carved with ancient etchings and carvings, ornate with gold and a dark iron-like steel. Entering into the depths of the abyssal cave, They found the remains of the Dormar, and inside the Forge room, a single tunnel, that stretched miles on end without a single light. Exploring one day at a time this single encroaching hallway the found that it told the history of Asgol, all of it was written in the walls, like a book encrypted with runes of ancient ilk. It told of the many kings of Asgol, of it’s every inhabitant, of it’s every passing. One meter for one day minimum, it was like a collection of newspapers, detailing all of the menials and nimieties of the Dormar. Many of the technologies they talked about were a mystery to the Doomforged, but they understood that some of them had to be safekept, and so after years of exploring the tunnel, they began carefully transcribing everything on the walls of the hallway. Following several years, they found the methods of runesmithing that the Dormar had developed with the help of the Karikmar; Flesh Runes.

These were runes of great power, etched into the very bodies of the bearers. These were varied in purpose, from damaging the bearer to enhancing different traits, they became commonplace in the city’s military both as bearers and also to inflict torture upon criminals.

FLESH RUNES

w10sIowKXScnsVq7xT3O-qmWsXxUquHkINkDwzCO

Flesh runes can be grouped in two categories, depending on their effect to the one who bears it;

DAMAGE RUNES; or runes that damage or otherwise negatively affect the one wearing them.

POWER RUNES; or runes that empower or otherwise positively affect the one wearing them.

The first type, Damage runes were used as a form of torture and execution. They could influence the victim into a range of different afflictions, from migraines to an accelerated limb decay that would result in an extremity rotting away before the very eyes of the wearer. The execution runes were meticulous methods that were considered humane, such as the instantaneous combustion that would kill the victim in a matter of seconds, reducing their bodies to ashes.

Power runes, in contrast, give benefits to the wearer, from weather endurance to a more avid connection to weaponry, these runes were used for warriors, soldiers and other people of high reach within the society of Kal’Asgol.

Both of these rune types were written in a dialect that was developed for the purpose of least pain and easier carving, as they were carved into the tissue of people. When unactivated these runes were usually like red (or blue) markings into the body, tattoo-like scars, when activated, however, either by willing it so (power runes) or by saying a phrase (damage runes), they began glowing their respective color, red or blue, depending on the ink used.

Blue Flesh Runes were temporary, usually lasting up to five uses. They were carved more lightly into the skin, using shorter and simpler tools. They left little to no scarring upon expiring, and were used mainly in torture (damage) and for travelling purposes. (power).

Red Flesh Runes were permanent, they were usually etched deep into the skin of the bearers. They usually were stronger than blue flesh runes, and also had more significant scarring, and also posed more risks. An infected flesh rune is most likely fatal, as the carvings reach the veins, and activating an infected flesh runes will lead to thanium-like taint within the entire circulatory system, leading to a very quick, painful death.

Flesh Runes are written in a language known commonly as Inithar Lorva, a language solely acquainted to those who studied the walls of Karik and Asgol. It is not only a runic dialect, but also a verbal language that was created upon the merge of the Karikmar and Dormar.

This language is usually related to the Great Ancient Dwarvish language, a now unused ancient language found only in the most ancient of scriptures, a language that predates even Flexio.

Flesh Runes are always powered by the energy of the bearer, but can be activated through two mediums; Remotely; via a phrase or a word, or by will. The runes, if of red type, are known to drain out the bearer over time when activated, leading ultimately to the passing out of the bearer, or their death. Red type runes will become more painful as they are activated more frequently, regardless if they are activated or not. After a rune is deactivated, it goes on a cool down, as it begins a process where it cannot be activated again. This time varies upon how long the rune was used for. If it was used only for a few seconds, it will usually cool down in just a few hours. The longer it is used, the longer it takes for it to become reactivable.

It should be of note that whilst multiple runes can be activated at one, they will drain the user much quicker, and as such, bearers only activate one at a time.

TYPES OF FLESH RUNES

DAMAGE RUNES

Runes that are activated remotely, placed upon victims for the purpose of torture or execution.

Rune Of Decay

3eqvbDKdXoTKq4gB-kxzCYxVjxGuhQHhdV6whz9-

The Rune Of Decay is a very infamous form of torture. The rune is placed upon a limb, usually where the limb begins (The upper leg, shoulders). It can be used to perform a quick and clean execution, as well, by placing it upon the neck, heart or lungs. This rune is activated remotely, using phrases and other keywords.

This rune can work in two ways, depending on where it activates. If it is placed above just muscle, it will begin to tear away the limb, cauterizing a ring around it. It will only affect the limb, cutting away until it reaches bone. This rune is fabled as a Death Rune, and it was only reserved for traitors and other high-profile criminals.

Rune Of Torment

5D5CyH7Mb-ZQKns3GTG9pCWt36rq4QkK194Mxf_s

The Rune of Torment is well known as being one of the most common amongst the damage runes. It is a strictly non-lethal rune, used only for minor torture. The rune functions similar to the rune of decay, however, instead of wasting away flesh and muscle, it will inflict great pain upon the nerves. It is commonly placed in the back of the head, below the scalp, inflicting great pain upon the victim’s spine and producing a migraine that few can describe.

Rune Of Stupor

2TL8Exc3ROiyRaSk9PEUlhbYMpm1YYersQiit1pV

The induction of sleep into victims was used since the beginning of the Flesh rune practice. It essentially places the victim under forced slumber, a coma if you will. If instead inscribed in blue, they could be used for anesthesia. It was used to neutralize criminals. Since it drew it’s energy from the bearer, as all flesh runes do, it slowly wasted away the bearer. It was commonly used to display criminals, with the rune carved on the forehead of the bearer.

POWER RUNES

Runes that are activated by will, placed upon bearers for the purpose of enhancement of their innate abilities.

Rune Of Dexterity

woOy1SoGKfdyjgspF4wzCk9WRoWCu4sT-Tk4TNhn

Dexterity was a trait that Dwarves overall found lacking, with their blocky builds and otherwise decisive strikes. This rune was formed as the first of the power runes, and aimed to increase the way Dwarves used weaponry. It only functions with warhammers, and it basically makes the hands of the dwarves heavier, yet nimbler, allowing the bearer to have more control over the swing, the momentum, and thereafter, the motion and energy spent on it.

Rune Of Stoneskin

46u78GOkOygxVrSg_IF4wa9T3zTmH8lp4cppD0ey

The Rune of Stoneskin is considered the most useful one, however it is also sometimes considered more a curse than a blessing; a blend of both types of runes. Once activated, this rune hardens the bearer’s skin, making them heavier, and also increasing their resistance to cold and fire, as well as increasing their resistance against cuts and slices. It is amongst the most painful, and can only be used in short bursts, and overuse of it can lead to passing out or, in worse cases, dying of exhaustion.

Rune Of Grace

qkaIsqfUMavXLAcpEFkaPf6m9wSJvUr4Ukv5e8bQ

The Rune of Grace is simple, it makes the user more nimble, increasing their speed. This affects all of the body, from speed of movement, to speed of thought. This rune takes the longest to cool down usually tenfold the amount it was activated for. While the speed of motion is not considerable if the user is wearing armor, it is still highly valued by smiths and people who seek wisdom, as it allows them to become more aware of their surroundings. If overactivated, it can lead to terrible and long-lasting hallucinations, henceforth it’s secondary use as a recreational drug.

On the addition of Runes;

Runes can be created by utilizing the same elemental dialect or divine dialect found in common Runesmithing. However, functions have been changed to reflect body runes;

Affect Skin

Affect Organ

Affect Muscle

Affect Bone

Pain / Comfort

Add Weight / Remove Weight

Decay

Contract / Extend

Affects Area

Expand / Shrink

Separate/Bind

Harden

CARVING OF A FLESH RUNE

The process of carving a Flesh Rune requires two tools, a Thanium chalk and a Dagger, usually made of black iron found in Asgol, and sometimes Obsidian. These daggers go from being spiky and feeble in build for red flesh runes, to a stiletto design, with a fine sturdy blade that resembles a needle. Regardless of the design, the blade must be forged within the fires of the legendary Doom Forge. This Forge, which the Doomforged understood was important and so have been carrying it along all the realms, imbues magic upon the tool, allowing it to merge both the runic power of the thanium chalk, the runesmith, and the body of the bearer.

Thanium chalk is used to mark around the rune’s location, which is then carved out carefully. If the rune is deep enough, the whole area will begin to turn a quiet red. After the process, this tone will die down to a reddish black, and once activated begin glowing a strong blood red. If, however, it is superficial, it will become blue in tint. It is generally accepted that this is due to the interaction between the magically infused rune and the blood of the bearer.

Flesh Runes take a while to become activeable, from hours to days, depending on the bearer.

GLOSSARY

BEARER; Those who wear Flesh Runes.

OOC

This lore is an addon to Runesmithing lore by Dizzy, Epicbeast, Beros, Lima and James. It aims to add the once canon Flesh Runes, used mainly by Doomforged and acquaintances of the clan. These runes, while never retconned or made futile, were completely outdated and I felt were also unbalanced and badly explained. These runes are carved in a dialect alternate to that of Mainstream Runesmithing, so I propose it to be learnt in RP, via a sub application to access the magic. This magic cannot be self-taught, and I’d like it to become also not self-taught by Runesmiths, since I would not like Flesh Runes to become commonplace, and Flesh Runesmiths, to run rampant.

The Addition of more runes is out of the question; It'll likely happen at one point or another, but I'm not yet sure how to add the flexibility of the command-like lexicon of mainstream runes to flesh runes, as such, these preset runes are meant to guide on any future flesh runes ideas.

By the way, if you feel this lore needs some help, instead of denying it, please add me on skype with your concerns, and I will do my best to fix them.

Also, the images of runes used are merely representative.

Revision Check log;

Added more to it by limiting the imbuement into a more asgolian fashion and giving one of the last remainders of the Magical Forges a more logical use than golem smithing; The dagger used to carve into the flesh must be forged within the Doom Forge, for it to imbue magic and combine both the rune and the body together.

Added a parallel function list, whilst keeping true to the elemental and divine dialects of mainstream Runesmithing. Simply moulded several functions to fit the concept of a body rune more.

This is nice +1

Inb4 Blood Magic skin runes make the deathbringer

0991994e6814756946c8493c762c9bb2.png

Why the bloody deuce aren't you an LM yet? The only LM who can match you now is Benbo!

You should add a Flesh rune that does the opposite of stupor.

Having someone who does not fall asleep and ends up going crazy seems more like torture than someone falling asleep.

They go from feeling tired as hell to going into fits of delusion, and then the one who placed the rune could erase it, only to put it back onto them when they try to fall asleep or after an hour or two of sleep if you want to prolong their suffering.

As I said, seems more fitting.

42 minutes ago, KarmaDelta said:

You should add a Flesh rune that does the opposite of stupor.

Having someone who does not fall asleep and ends up going crazy seems more like torture than someone falling asleep.

They go from feeling tired as hell to going into fits of delusion, and then the one who placed the rune could erase it, only to put it back onto them when they try to fall asleep or after an hour or two of sleep if you want to prolong their suffering.

As I said, seems more fitting.

By activating the Rune of Torment sporadically you could achieve this effect. Still, it is a nice idea and a possibility. As you can see, the rune preset I laid out is to show what Flesh runes can do, their extent of power, from affecting one's ability to sleep, or therefore to not sleep. I'm sure many more ideas alike will come up, and be added. Just like how flexible the Runic language is, this one should come up just like it, which is my plan. 

9 minutes ago, Cʜᴀᴏᴛɪᴋᴀʟ said:

By activating the Rune of Torment sporadically you could achieve this effect. Still, it is a nice idea and a possibility. As you can see, the rune preset I laid out is to show what Flesh runes can do, their extent of power, from affecting one's ability to sleep, or therefore to not sleep. I'm sure many more ideas alike will come up, and be added. Just like how flexible the Runic language is, this one should come up just like it, which is my plan. 

The only other thing I would like to say is, how would you guys go about adding more runes?

Do you have to make a lore post everytime or simply make it in RP?

Also, do these have any effect if crafted from the Doomforge? Cause that would be a neat thing to add since a rogue Doomforge could potentially ruin everything here if they feel like spiting someone in OOC and potentially ruining the system.

4 minutes ago, KarmaDelta said:

The only other thing I would like to say is, how would you guys go about adding more runes?

Do you have to make a lore post everytime or simply make it in RP?

Also, do these have any effect if crafted from the Doomforge? Cause that would be a neat thing to add since a rogue Doomforge could potentially ruin everything here if they feel like spiting someone in OOC and potentially ruining the system.

I thought deeply about it, and you're absolutely right. I will definetly be revising it to include the Doom Forge in a more principal way to crafting. Perhaps the metal has to be forged from the Doom forge so it can imbue the magic into the carving. Awesome idea, friend.

On 3/12/2016 at 7:50 AM, Cʜᴀᴏᴛɪᴋᴀʟ said:

I thought deeply about it, and you're absolutely right. I will definetly be revising it to include the Doom Forge in a more principal way to crafting. Perhaps the metal has to be forged from the Doom forge so it can imbue the magic into the carving. Awesome idea, friend.

Yeah, because from what I see, you guys don't really have much lore relating to crafts with the Doomforged and use it mainly as a symbol nowadays.

You guys could very well make Obsidian weapons with Flesh runes carved on, or as some would hate it, like him and a few others, Flesh Golems if that's how they work.

You guys should be pushing for more lore stuff with your Doomforge to make you even more unique other than, and as I quote myself,

"A clan based upon the tiddling of a Dwarf and Dark Elf for their own amusement.". Cause, to be honest, that's all you guys really are to me at the moment. Of course, I don't know what private stuff you guys do with your Doomforge other than your clan halls looking like some for mfo torture chamber each map.

UPDATE 1.02

Added more to it by limiting the imbuement into a more asgolian fashion and giving one of the last remainders of the Magical Forges a more logical use than golem smithing; The dagger used to carve into the flesh must be forged within the Doom Forge, for it to imbue magic and combine both the rune and the body together.

Added a parallel function list, whilst keeping true to the elemental and divine dialects of mainstream Runesmithing. Simply moulded several functions to fit the concept of a body rune more.

We used to do stuff concerning the Doom Forge itself, but we didn't have any Flesh Rune lore that we could use in order to keep the RP going. Tis why we became psychotic half-breeds, not what we were originally intended to be, psychotic half-breeds that have purpose and reason to stick around.

James, would the Power runes have any affect on the bearer? Something akin to how void magic drains a mage's energy, leaving them tired after casting? Or perhaps more permanent effects like mental and/or physical issues (Weak bones, temporary memory loss, etc. Just throwing stuff out there).

6 minutes ago, Thumper said:

We used to do stuff concerning the Doom Forge itself, but we didn't have any Flesh Rune lore that we could use in order to keep the RP going. Tis why we became psychotic half-breeds, not what we were originally intended to be, psychotic half-breeds that have purpose and reason to stick around.

James, would the Power runes have any affect on the bearer? Something akin to how void magic drains a mage's energy, leaving them tired after casting? Or perhaps more permanent effects like mental and/or physical issues (Weak bones, temporary memory loss, etc. Just throwing stuff out there).

Both. As it is described, the runes have a very taxing element on the bearers, both types of runes. This activation of rune and body altogether drains the bearer of energy. If the rune remains activated for too long, it can lead to some very serious issues, going as far as death by exhaustion. In the long run, the runes begin to cause a passive pain, regardless if it's activated or not. This pain increases each time you activate the rune, and it can become quite unbearable, if the rune is abused. Luckily, there ARE ways to deform and deactivate a rune, such as there are ways to deactivate a common rune.