[✗] Runic Handguns

Cpt_Noobman

Responding to some of the replies, the handguns I wish to see implemented are not meant to be more or less powerful than any of the weapons already on the server, and shouldn't be looked at as such. They are merely a different type of weapon with their own pros and cons. A musket ball would not one shot you unless you wanted it to. People on this server emote taking multiple arrows and still fighting and that's fine, it's fake. A bullet though it would likely have an easier time hitting it's target and penetrating  armor, it wouldn't hurt nearly as much realistically. And the slow reload time would allow maybe 1 shot in an rp fight when an archer could fire 3+ arrows. It's just for flair really, not meant to be better or worse than anything else.

Also, please keep in mind as I said in the post these weapons will be open for everyone's use if implemented, it's not to force one person's superior weaponry over another's.

Also if you wish to see my vision for this lore, I encourage you to explore the Warhammer fantasy universe where orcs with arrows and spears can still contend with Dwarven thunderers and artillery, it's not meant to be an end-game, just something cool to write in rp posts.

3 hours ago, Cpt_Noobman said:

Responding to some of the replies, the handguns I wish to see implemented are not meant to be more or less powerful than any of the weapons already on the server, and shouldn't be looked at as such. They are merely a different type of weapon with their own pros and cons. A musket ball would not one shot you unless you wanted it to. People on this server emote taking multiple arrows and still fighting and that's fine, it's fake. A bullet though it would likely have an easier time hitting it's target and penetrating  armor, it wouldn't hurt nearly as much realistically. And the slow reload time would allow maybe 1 shot in an rp fight when an archer could fire 3+ arrows. It's just for flair really, not meant to be better or worse than anything else.

Also, please keep in mind as I said in the post these weapons will be open for everyone's use if implemented, it's not to force one person's superior weaponry over another's.

Also if you wish to see my vision for this lore, I encourage you to explore the Warhammer fantasy universe where orcs with arrows and spears can still contend with Dwarven thunderers and artillery, it's not meant to be an end-game, just something cool to write in rp posts.

I agree. If anything it would be easier to load a crossbow than a musket. A good  crossbowman could fire 7 or 8 bolts a minute. a crack british infantry company could load and fire 5 musket balls a minute. Every weapon has their ups and downs. I think this lore should be implemented.

6 hours ago, Cpt_Noobman said:

And the slow reload time would allow maybe 1 shot in an rp fight when an archer could fire 3+ arrows

11 hours ago, Cpt_Noobman said:

Low fire rate (it takes about 15 seconds to reload between shots, approximately 3 emotes)

This doesn't seem right at all to me. As someone who commonly uses a bow, I've rarely ever done bow shots in three or less emotes. Any time you do, I imagine people are complaining that retrieving, nocking, drawing, and firing can't be mixed. Three emotes is way to short in my opinion.

Okay let's be fair here. In a world where gods are interacting with mortals on a daily basis, where sky ships are sailing through the air, and where a one hundred foot tall giant with eight arms and three feet thicc armor plating (which my character fought) exists... This **** is not overpowered at all. Many magics could outdo it in damage for certain, and match it in speed. I don't see how this has any issue as far as how it could be created in RP (as it is the next logical step after the rune cannon), or how this would destroy any semblance of a balance in the server (Which there isn't one). Compare this to an arbalest, which can pierce through armor, and shoots some what slower than what is proposed here (although with greater range). This isn't even more powerful than an arbalest.

We're not talking 21st century machine-guns here, we're talking really early handguns or rifles that are faulty and not a huge upgrade in any fashion from other types of weapons. If people fear that someone is going to roleplay these as if they were machine-guns, we should understand that such things can and will be considered powergaming just like if someone decided they could start shooting 15 arrows in 5 seconds. It wouldn't happen. Not to mention the fact that the concept of guns is already implemented into LotC through medeusculors or whatever they're called. The only issue I can see validly being had is that it does not fit into a fantasy roleplay setting. To which I say I suppose that's all one's opinion, but I've seen plenty of fantasy settings with a 'gunslinger' archetype without completely destroying the vibe of the setting. Basically, to each his own but I don't see why this would be a huge issue.

On a side note: Since the concept of guns have already existed in LotC for a little bit now, it'd be nice for it to exist without the pre-requisite of being a mage, which feels like it completely destroys the point.

5 hours ago, AngelsCrossHalcyon said:

This doesn't seem right at all to me. As someone who commonly uses a bow, I've rarely ever done bow shots in three or less emotes. Any time you do, I imagine people are complaining that retrieving, nocking, drawing, and firing can't be mixed. Three emotes is way to short in my opinion.

Understandable, there's no set amount of emotes for the rp of a weapon though, the 3 emotes was just a suggestion. The main point I was trying to make is that the reload time is undeniably inferior to that of crossbows or bows, emote amounts is really all up to the person doing the rp. But they should know that due to the pressure needing to build up there is no way to speed up the reload time with a handgun, where as a person could try to load more arrows quicker and be successful.

As a starting note, it has been base ideal on LotC since the beginning that technology shall never advance into the age of guns and things like it.

I love the lore. It's well written, makes RP sense. However, things like this have been trying to be implemented for ages. Let's go back to the hand-cannons of Anthos, for example. They acted similarly to this, and were removed.

On the note of Medeusculors, they truly have no extra effect. They are used solely for flare on the part of mages.

Now, onto this lore. I'd like to compare it to Medeusculors. Medeusculors are a catalyst, similar to a mage's staff, that cannot be augmented and must be powered by the mana straight from the mage. They are no more powerful than summoning the fireball and throwing it at the target like you normally would. I'd argue these rune handguns are not for flare like a medeusculor is, as you don't have to BE anything beforehand to use them. The action of firing is, in itself, from the gun, not the user. A normal Joe cannot walk up and throw a lead ball at a target and that throw be strong enough to pierce armor and skin. For those reasons, the rune handgun is, in itself, not for flare. The grey area in which the Medeusculor was able to come in is simply not applicable for this lore.

No matter the way this idea is formatted, it is still in essence a gun. As before mentioned, it has always been that guns were not to be on LotC. For those reasons...

698eHSeOrRRg4.gif

3 minutes ago, The Squirrel said:

As a starting note, it has been base ideal on LotC since the beginning that technology shall never advance into the age of guns and things like it.

I love the lore. It's well written, makes RP sense. However, things like this have been trying to be implemented for ages. Let's go back to the hand-cannons of Anthos, for example. They acted similarly to this, and were removed.

On the note of Medeusculors, they truly have no extra effect. They are used solely for flare on the part of mages.

Now, onto this lore. I'd like to compare it to Medeusculors. Medeusculors are a catalyst, similar to a mage's staff, that cannot be augmented and must be powered by the mana straight from the mage. They are no more powerful than summoning the fireball and throwing it at the target like you normally would. I'd argue these rune handguns are not for flare like a medeusculor is, as you don't have to BE anything beforehand to use them. The action of firing is, in itself, from the gun, not the user. A normal Joe cannot walk up and throw a lead ball at a target and that throw be strong enough to pierce armor and skin. For those reasons, the rune handgun is, in itself, not for flare. The grey area in which the Medeusculor was able to come in is simply not applicable for this lore.

No matter the way this idea is formatted, it is still in essence a gun. As before mentioned, it has always been that guns were not to be on LotC. For those reasons...

698eHSeOrRRg4.gif

Actually, with the newest generation of medesculors you dont need to be a mage to use them. They have been used by many non mage men in the past few weeks. You just need a mage to make them

21 minutes ago, Taketheshot said:

Actually, with the newest generation of medesculors you dont need to be a mage to use them. They have been used by many non mage men in the past few weeks. You just need a mage to make them

I wasn't aware of this. Is there a post about it?

Just now, The Squirrel said:

I wasn't aware of this. Is there a post about it?

Not sure, all I know is that anyone can use them and they have fit in quite well, just alot more expensive than these runic handguns would be. Instead of refilling on musket balls you need to go to an alterationist to have the mana gems refilled.

4 minutes ago, Taketheshot said:

Not sure, all I know is that anyone can use them and they have fit in quite well, just alot more expensive than these runic handguns would be. Instead of refilling on musket balls you need to go to an alterationist to have the mana gems refilled.

I'm not sure the circumstances of these, but in the guide on Medeusculors it states...

just like other catalysts, these tools cannot be augmented; meaning a use of something like mana gems to “reload” their Medeusculors simply cannot work, as the Mage’s own mana is responsible for conjuring their spell in the first place. A Mage’s own mana is essentially the ammunition for these “guns”, as when they run out or are incapable of producing more magic, they cannot fire their Medeusculors. It all translates simply across the basic laws of magic.

3 minutes ago, The Squirrel said:

I'm not sure the circumstances of these, but in the guide on Medeusculors it states...

Then there must be lore not posted but this is how ive seen them be used

As an alterationist, I can explain how these medeusculors capable of being used by non-mages work... Simple answer: enchantments. It's literally the same thing as regular medeusculors, but then you enchant it to shoot an evocation of your choice, and give the enchantment the command of having the trigger pulled to activate. It's literally as simple as that and it's functionally the same as having an enchanted wand or staff, except it's aesthetically in the shape of a gun.

4 hours ago, Gladuos said:

As an alterationist, I can explain how these medeusculors capable of being used by non-mages work... Simple answer: enchantments. It's literally the same thing as regular medeusculors, but then you enchant it to shoot an evocation of your choice, and give the enchantment the command of having the trigger pulled to activate. It's literally as simple as that and it's functionally the same as having an enchanted wand or staff, except it's aesthetically in the shape of a gun.

Yes, but it's made pretty clear that Medeusculors can't be enchanted like that...

1 minute ago, The Squirrel said:

Yes, but it's made pretty clear that Medeusculors can't be enchanted like that...

It's a half-assed explanation on the guide that doesn't make sense with alteration lore, so I'm sure people probably ignored it since the guide was only proposed as a suggestion to roleplay anyway, rather than actual lore in and of itself.

1 minute ago, Gladuos said:

It's a half-assed explanation on the guide that doesn't make sense with alteration lore, so I'm sure people probably ignored it since the guide was only proposed as a suggestion to roleplay anyway, rather than actual lore in and of itself.

Would you happen to know where the actual lore is?