[✗] The Torch of Ixli, and the Zaniil

Smaw

OOC: Decided to write something that could possibly serve as a new creature/form of Magic. Either for the ET/LT to use and expand on, or for the community if they like it. I'm not even sure if this submission makes much sense and I've kind of rushed it. Oops!

I'll probably expand on it further if people show interest. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. Opinions, Criticism and all that jazz are welcome as usual. Thanks

The Torch of Ixli

52635436b63f4a22f5e1d49ad6a809dd.png

(Zaagesh, the Lesser Spirit of Truth and Judgement)

The world exists in a contrast of positive and negative energies; the perfect split of a former union which bore nout but persistent inaction. Indeed, it is these opposing factors that cause the entropy of life. For the light cannot be recognised unless it is held against the looming darkness, nor the cleansing heat of friction known but for the cold, still embrace that serves to contrast it.

Indeed the truth of life is that no pursuit can hold any merit, lest there be a contrast to guide it; A merchant cannot sell where none wish to consume, and a soldier may not fight against himself. As such, the seeker of Truth must venture into the darkest realms in pursuit of understanding.

For so long has Vaasek watched over the Mortal Realms, hidden and obscured in illusion. His many servants, the Kabalees, serve intently upon the realms of Men in disguise, influencing civilisations and religions with their dark and looming presence. Such is the power of this Daemon that his mass deception has gone unobserved for countless decades. However, all secrets are lain bear with the passing of time, and Vaasek would be no exception to this.

With the growing madness in the world, and the increasing numbers of Ish’Urkal that consume with a hunger that knows no equal, Ixli, the Spirit of Forbidden Knowledge, Truth and Judgement had grown to such lengths that his abilities became more heightened than usual.

Empowered by this newfound capability, Ixli dared venture further into the Forbidden Realms, accessing knowledge that would come at high prices; indeed a process the Spirit was not unfamiliar with. He used these arts to access the Elemental Realms directly, in search of a relic that settled betwixt the dimensions of Binazdar and Razlab, the Elemental Lords of Light and Darkness, respectively.

There would lay the intertwined links of light and darkness, a series of chains that interlocked in one another, representing the necessity of the two to remain within some semblance of balance. Yet before the Lords could take heed, the chains had been stolen, and Ixli soon returned to his realm.

Knowing well the effects wearing such a relic would offer, Ixli decided not to adorn himself, and instead offered them to his most powerful Lesser: Zaagesh.

When the Spirit bore the chains, his form drained into a pale complexion, and his appearance began to resemble more bone than flesh. Before long, a shroud of darkness enveloped his head, of which no shade of black could compare, and wings of equal shade sprouted from his back as he writhed in agony.

He had become the personification of light and dark, an entity that bore the weight of both realms, and saw all distortion of it that lay upon the Mortal Realm. The chains that he had worn had formed into a staff that settled firmly in his grasp, and with each swing cast a swathe of cleansing fire in its wake.

The Torch of Ixli had been born, a servant that existed to reveal all that was hidden in the world. One that would burn away the falsities and deception so commonplace among the Mortal Realm.

A vessel of Judgement.

The Zaniil

UAujXc1SQR1Xnk2-YWyiIX8Vu5kilzC-s-uISOPJ0QpRTadaN600OhSuUqT54R-MeX6KDYDjmyqGHCIaWOKQa4Y2elSOR4Y2YKxVtiY_f47LDptTKlT1aVjgKQ5U3N3ZmmKlSZzZ

(A Zaniil inspecting an Arcane Rose)

As per the chaos of existence, it was not long before Zaagesh began to succumb to the latent corruptions wrought upon Ixli’s realm, and soon he descended into a state of utter madness. Encapsulated by his pursuit to expose all deception, he sought out just and virtuous Mortals that could help him in his endeavour, offering them small links of the Ruum which would bestow remarkable power upon them.

These Mortals would begin to warp and change as Zaagesh had done years before, and would bear an almost albino complexion as their hair and skin began to pale to an almost pure white. They would become the Zaniil, creatures that were made to scout out Illusion and Deception and utterly destroy it. They would harness the powers of the Ruum to do this, which would grant them the ability to produce a cleansing flame that does not harm that which adorns no veil of disguise. Once they accept the Ruum, it forever distorts their soul, and will proceed to take on the shape of a staff or weapon.

The Stages and Capabilities of this Transformation

Stage One, Tier 1

54458e738fea777cfc7b37c046cffb6d.png

(The eyes often reflect the darkness latent in the Mortal Realm as the Zaniil adjusts to the horrific experience of the Ruum)

Upon receiving a part of the Ruum, the prospective Zaniil will experience all darkness and light in the world in a series of chaotic moments. However, because the chain has been torn from the balance of Light and Darkness, it exists out of the natural balance, and offers each experience in extremes that fluctuate.

The initiate will descend into the depths of despair, and emerge in a euphoric state of no comparison, before being plunged once again into hell in a series of events that shake their core and align their Soul with the chain.

Once they have experienced this, their appearance will grow pale, and their eyes will momentarily glaze over in darkness when an apparent Illusion is presented.Additionally, their hands will begin to turn an ashen black and they form into clawed appendages. At this stage, there is very little they can achieve, and instead they must learn to harness their mana in a way that will force the Light and Dark within them to hold within balance.

The Ruum will begin to form into a weapon or staff, but will not be capable of harnessing the Flame until Stage Two.

Stage Two, Tier 2

FJegwAaQS2fW9BtvXnCOuFzdgaosqgDFSRjtSsTt13eNld_C4zORCSNLonJuD3A7jTtWBwmhdmc_IaeHYxZGkMaSG1iGtsuMSOE6DwdUGy1HIbIMr9YAO8oXB_ct5EPLnEf9FeFS

(Eww)

At this stage in their development, the Zaniil will rarely resemble the Mortals they once were, and will instead appear as pale creatures with ivory horns, their claws now developed and their eyes a crimson hue. They will however, retain their body mass, for their strength is not heightened or lessened by this effect.

These Zaniil are capable of using the Flame, and may spark small embers in an attempt to remove weak Illusions and Deceptions, and may begin to see flickers of the Kabalees that roam the world, appearing as hazed light in their perception.

To harness the Flame, the Zaniil must utilise their former training in maintaining a balance between light and dark, so that they may restore the balance within the Mortal Realm, thus rendering the Illusion weakened. The Flame is used to remove Illusion, and cannot harm anything else. The colouration of the flame will be the same as the eyes of the user.

Stage Three, Tier 3

rjuEC4422TxZn37TtEtSHHm4QWgy2DUFGxeaGtDNRPKuDMVl8Ittq7R_kVflFXEsDPSw-N0sQzjGerv-GG0RDofRdKIjsx2m2jaCzSeJYZy6zKryhRmTUVyzBdB0oW3tcibeOPzH

(Much better)

At this stage the Zaniil will have eyes of a yellow colouration, and will be able to perceive Illusion and Deception more effectively. They can also more effectively utilise the Flame, and may produce larger flames that can remove medium strength Illusions; those of equivalent tier.

However, at this stage the Insanity of Ixli begins to seep into their minds, and the Zaniil are prone to bouts of bloodlust as their eyes begin to trick them into perceiving Illusion where there is none. Their mind also begins to spread falsities within them, causing a rupture of inner sanctum which makes them increasingly more hostile to the world.

Stage Four, Tier 4

I9Hr3whn8RLojxzqXFfXIrPOrfQFZwtEhM5QIgxlzqjl1tIqhi6hevLuCXna3036vn3ukBZU6ZR-kLCDYL_TOwdzqEdlhLtWSsQ-QJLG4HYuxRbscDo9uYZpq6wRAd_vmoIPkke-

(The... Lord of Light?)

A Lord of Judgement and cleansing, those at Tier 4 are quite capable of sensing Illusions of the highest degree, and can terminate that which they uncover with their Flame. So stark is their ability that an ever present flame illuminates overhead, and their eyes form a hue of orange that reflects it.

At this stage the Zaniil has succumbed to madness, and is lost in the pursuit of Truth, choosing to perceive distortion where there is none in an attempt to enact Judgement.

Red Lines & All That

f56e6658fedc671b6b7672e0b4d3f8e9.png

- There will be no Tier 5 at this time -

- The Flame cannot be used to harm anything or anyone that isn't covered in an Illusion of some kind -

- These creatures do not have any heightened senses apart from their perception of Illusion -

- Madness must be RP'd as Tier progresses -

- Truth and Judgement is subjective -

You could throw spice on elementalists too... I feel so naked and you're a talented man...

This is really cool.. I'd like to see it expanded upon, of course. Make things slightly more clear and the like. Other than that, nice idea!

The third photo made me think of like a feral Qunari from Dragon Age, but I like it. 

Ave Spirits.

Will they be a playable race, and if so, what would the explanation be?
If so, are there any racial criteria that are requirements?
(i.e. Orcs, Kha or Elves barred from becoming Zaniil)
Do they have the same/similar tier progression as magic users?

I think that's all my questions for now.

20 minutes ago, Rob Boss said:

Will they be a playable race, and if so, what would the explanation be?
If so, are there any racial criteria that are requirements?
(i.e. Orcs, Kha or Elves barred from becoming Zaniil)
Do they have the same/similar tier progression as magic users?

I think that's all my questions for now.

1) That would be up to the LT. But presumably the reason would be that they were all once Mortal, and for the most part still are.

2) No criteria at all, but I will expand on this. Thanks.

3) Pretty much the same, in line with most Illusion magics.

Holy hell, yes +1

This lore is denied. Creatures/magic with the sole purpose of finding/sensing other things (regardless of if it is illusion like this one, or clerical or shade et cetera) is not something that we want on the server. It allows for lore approved meta amongst other issues.

This Lore has been denied. Topic moved to Denied Lore forum.