Cult of the Deep One

DeadCthulhu

The Deep one is a Pet of Iblees I have stated that already. It is NOT a Deity. The Deep One is just a very old VERY large squid that my character believes is worthy of worphipping. I am not interested in changing my roleplay based on your inability to read. It does not say Cthulhu anymore. I have CHANGED it to fit in with the lore. The thing about a CULT is that they have their own beliefs. It doesn't make it a fact.

If he wants to worship a squid, let him worship a damn squid. Change names accordingly and work it into the lore however the GMs see fit. It doesn't matter how long he's been on the server, if he wants to take initiative from day one, let him. This sort've thing should be encouraged, not blackballed, so long as it's developed correctly.

This server's entire foundation is loosely rooted in the works of Tolkien and I've seen plenty of other fantasy references in-game that are far less subtle. Winterfell, Tyrion Lannister (no offense), various elves, dwarves and halflings with names directly transferred from Lord of the Rings.

Tweak the names and concepts into something unique and roll with it dude. We need more cults and wierdos running around, biting ink sacs and raging.

Yes, the "I use the same/similar names as others, and I have no creativity or imagination" -thing starts to go abit too far.

If he wants to worship a squid, let him worship a damn squid. Change names accordingly and work it into the lore however the GMs see fit. It doesn't matter how long he's been on the server, if he wants to take initiative from day one, let him. This sort've thing should be encouraged, not blackballed, so long as it's developed correctly.

This server's entire foundation is loosely rooted in the works of Tolkien and I've seen plenty of other fantasy references in-game that are far less subtle. Winterfell, Tyrion Lannister (no offense), various elves, dwarves and halflings with names directly transferred from Lord of the Rings.

Tweak the names and concepts into something unique and roll with it dude. We need more cults and wierdos running around, biting ink sacs and raging.

+1

Wow, so much hostility guys, tone it down.

Yes. Cthulhu may be somewhat derivative, though people need to realise our server is derivative, we did not invent elves, orcs , or dwarves, nor Aenguls or Daemons, nor undead or ascended.

It seems to me that it could be an interesting addition to LotC.

Players, myself included have previously suggested waterbased races such as Murloc and Merfolk, which would tie nicely to such beliefs.

I am fine with squid worship, lore-wise and rp-wise it would be more interesting than most the half-baked guilds on the server (points at vampires that don't exist)

Right... this all seems to have spiraled into a bit of a flame session.

I'm entirely un-bias when I say this but, Although I think DeadCthulhu should perhaps come with more of his own original material (HP LoveCraft Cthulhu is an awesome idea, it's something different to work with, and it COULD work very well but it's not as original as it could be and there fore needs refining/re-working. You don't want to be hit with the title of plagiarizer, right?) maybe think about an actual rename to something that would be more befitting in LoTC and steer away from having it squarely based off of your original concept possibly from fellow RPers that might like the idea and slide a little more into the lore so that it could be more see-able as a viable cult or collection of people within Aegis. From what I have gathered, DeadCthulhu is a genuine Rp'er, and wants to do some constructive - and the fact people are (from what I can see) stamping out on an idea, a person whom has potential to give the server something more than just another player is honestly bewildering to me, this is role-play after all, so surely almost anything could potentially happen, even a squid worshipping cult is possible... right?

I don't know all the ins and outs, I really don't know if there is something going on in the background to work people up this much but I can see, with more careful guidance and not simply bashing - it's a plausible idea.

^^ I'll just be sneaking off now, thank you for reading this.

+1 Well written. I am all for proposing new lore to the game, but it should be proposed in the "Suggestions"-forum before actually throwing into the game.

I do not doubt DeadCthulu is a good RPer and I salute his initiative. But my point is mostly that new ideas should be unique to Aegis and LotC. Cthulu and Vampire stuff are not unique.

Considering that squid and fish are the only aquatic creatures that we've seen in Aegis, it would just make sense that a sea-faring cult might worship squid. There were all kinds of legendary sea monsters and whatnot in the lore of medieval/fantasy time periods. A giant kraken would fit right in, whether it actually became part of the official lore and was tied to Iblees, or whether it was just an island full of Lotus-Eaters that imagined the whole thing. No need to associate all of this with the works of Lovecraft, despite the tone of the initial post.

A unique departure into some newly developed lore would be nice, which seems to be the route he's going, but it's hard to find an animal that hasn't been worshipped or sacrificed by someone, somewhere.

Drowning sacrifices, armies marching into the sea, cities flooded, lots of righteousness. Just make sure you keep GMs in the loop and snip through the proper red tape.

Thank you finally nice to see some constructive criticism instead of flamers. There are several references to a Cthulhu type creature in many different mythologies of the world.

The Kraken, and the Leviathan are both examples of this. Huge sea monsters are a staple in almost every ancient mythology, and even modern day legends. Why would it not fit into the lore of Aegis?

I see no problem worshiping a squid. There is no rule stating you have to worship the creator. You should not need a villain app for this anyways. I was just stating that the villain app was revoked. Not just for the lore but a couple reasons. he should have no issues rp'ing this character as long as he commits no crimes until he gets an approved app.

Yeah.... if you want to worship a squid, go for it. Just don't expect people to go along for the ride. I doubt people will look kindly upon this, proof being the flames above. How about this: rewrite an ancient lore according to your squid-cult. If it is done well, it may be accepted better than just referencing bits and pieces of the lore already in place. Maybe make it a lore before our lore? If I understand correctly, the lore in place ONLY refers to Aegis's creation. How about the world in which Aegis exists was somehow created by a squid of some sort. Just make sure not to use Cthulu's actual name. Change it to something more lotr-ey. Like...... Blergorah? I don't know. Just change it up and it may be more likely to be accepted.

This forum is full of flamers so I'm not too concerned with them. I have rewritten it. The Squid is a creation of Iblees and serves him. I may expand the lore once the new world opens up depending on what it's background turns out to be. To do this right I need a deep ocean to build a sunken city in.

You know what, +1 to this fellow! I was sounding negative, but I hope he understands that some will automatically become defensive, but kudos for him presenting his idea for a Lore he wants to field into the game and actually legitimately defend it. We need various methods to cause attrition in this server, to bolster conflict. A tip of the hat to DeadCthulhu and hopefully this Cult thrives. (OOC: Dont bump into the Teutonic Order though ;) )

+1! I really like this idea. Let me know if you need any help.

-Mdhegs