Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Snelfma

[Completed] Why holy healing is not a bad thing

Recommended Posts

Just now, Medvekoma said:

 

That is untrue. Golem limbs may be sturdier than flesh, but they are in no way more powerful. The power of a punch hinges on the momentum of the fist, which is calculated p = m*v, a factor of weight and speed. Though the weight of a golem arm may be higher, its speed is considerably lower, making a punch with a golem arm pack the same strength as a normal arm's punch.

Stone has more mass than flesh. A left hook will be weaker, but a hammer blow from above absolutely will not be as the excess weight is brought to bear. It requires alternative thinking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Templar said:

I have personally seen the Ascended replace an eye from /nothing/ before. Your current lore may support this, or it may not. This is admittedly from February 2017, but this is why people keep mentioning it in this context. 

Minor organ damage is something that can be healed, though extensive organ damage is different and cannot. If the eye itself is still somewhat intact, then provided it's in the early stage of damage, it can be repaired. If someone lost their eyes (ripped from their sockets) then that's a different situation all together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Medvekoma said:

 

That is untrue. Golem limbs may be sturdier than flesh, but they are in no way more powerful. The power of a punch hinges on the momentum of the fist, which is calculated p = m*v, a factor of weight and speed. Though the weight of a golem arm may be higher, its speed is considerably lower, making a punch with a golem arm pack the same strength as a normal arm's punch.

Dude, I would rather be punched by a normal fist than an iron fist. It's just harder and that person swings the damn thing at you instead of the usual wind up then it's going to be like getting hit with a bat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GildedDuke said:

Minor organ damage is something that can be healed, though extensive organ damage is different and cannot. If the eye itself is still somewhat intact, then provided it's in the early stage of damage, it can be repaired. If someone lost their eyes (ripped from their sockets) then that's a different situation all together.

The eye was completely mutilated and ripped from the socket. Clerical magic couldn't replace it due to the extensive damage, and we have great leeway when we have the original. I've also never heard such a complex organ called minor, either. Clerics have been arguing for years with the LT about this, trying to find a compromise that allows those rendered blind to see again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, The Templar said:

Stone has more mass than flesh. A left hook will be weaker, but a hammer blow from above absolutely will not be as the excess weight is brought to bear. It requires alternative thinking.

 

Does not require alternative thinking unless LOTC has alternative physics.

 

The assumed slowness of the arm hinges on the mode of suspension, not its weight. Which means your v velocity will be limited severely, reducing the product of v*m despite the comparably higher m.

 

If you assume m would calculate into a higher a when the arm is in a falling motion, you assume that the suspension has very low torsion, meaning that you could possible hit a golem's arm and force it to spin around vertically.

3 minutes ago, Snelfma said:

Dude, I would rather be punched by a normal fist than an iron fist. It's just harder and that person swings the damn thing at you instead of the usual wind up then it's going to be like getting hit with a bat.

 

Hardness is irrelevant. A punch's worth is in its momentum. The hardness is represented in regards to the weight of the object in motion, and in the transfer of momentum which is much more prominent on a smaller surface area.

Edited by Medvekoma

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Medvekoma said:

 

Does not require alternative thinking unless LOTC has alternative physics.

 

The assumed slowness of the arm hinges on the mode of suspension, not its weight. Which means your v velocity will be limited severely, reducing the product of v*m despite the comparably higher m.

 

If you assume m would calculate into a higher a when the arm is in a falling motion, you assume that the suspension has very low torsion, meaning that you could possible hit a golem's arm and force it to spin around vertically.

Let's use your own logic against you then. Take the humble zweihander. Lift it over your head in the german Oberhau, or overhand cut. You lift it above your head and then strike like you're splitting a particularly ugly piece of wood. The weight of the weapon combined with the action gives it quite a bit of force. A golem arm can be used in this exact same fashion, albeit I have no respect for anyone who allows such a wind-up without taking advantage of the necessary lack in guard. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The Templar said:

The eye was completely mutilated and ripped from the socket. Clerical magic couldn't replace it due to the extensive damage, and we have great leeway when we have the original. I've also never heard such a complex organ called minor, either. Clerics have been arguing for years with the LT about this, trying to find a compromise that allows those rendered blind to see again.

I used minor as an expression for damage, not for the eyes and their value as organs. Damage on a minor level could be seen as an incision or cut through the organ (caused by shrapnel or a stab from a blade), where as extensive is what I'd judge as mutilation or full on organ scrambling (I.E. twisting a blade within someone's guts). I was also not present for said event, judging by the fact it was over a year ago. I in turn have never used healing to repair extensive damage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GildedDuke said:

I used minor as an expression for damage, not for the eyes and their value as organs. Damage on a minor level could be seen as an incision or cut through the organ (caused by shrapnel or a stab from a blade), where as extensive is what I'd judge as mutilation or full on organ scrambling (I.E. twisting a blade within someone's guts). I was also not present for said event, judging by the fact it was over a year ago. I in turn have never used healing to repair extensive damage. 

Oh, I misunderstood then. Yeah it was mutilation/scrambled organs. Minor damage can absolutely be fixed but as it currently stands that's a T5 heal for clerics. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can we please just rework magic and clarify a system for roleplay combat and healing. I'm tired of this systemless anarchic **** where everyone defines what they want to do and be free and creative. Creativity and freedom of roleplay is all well and good but we focus so much on the damn community guidelines that the rules of roleplay etiquette and engagement suffer vastly.  

 

Is that something people would even be okay with?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, The Templar said:

Let's use your own logic against you then. Take the humble zweihander. Lift it over your head in the german Oberhau, or overhand cut. You lift it above your head and then strike like you're splitting a particularly ugly piece of wood. The weight of the weapon combined with the action gives it quite a bit of force. A golem arm can be used in this exact same fashion, albeit I have no respect for anyone who allows such a wind-up without taking advantage of the necessary lack in guard. 

 

Nope, not working.

 

The reason a Bidenhänder sword strikes stronger is because of another equation, torque, equalling to r * F. That is to say, in an overhead cut you have a long radius as well as a longer time to accelerate your weapon.

 

A golem arm is irrelevant in this situation due to the similar radius involved and the limited velocity I mentioned prior.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Medvekoma said:

 

Nope, not working.

 

The reason a Bidenhänder sword strikes stronger is because of another equation, torque, equalling to r * F. That is to say, in an overhead cut you have a long radius as well as a longer time to accelerate your weapon.

 

A golem arm is irrelevant in this situation due to the similar radius involved and the limited velocity I mentioned prior.

We shall have to agree to disagree, then! Best of luck to your endeavors in molding the server to your liking. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why are you guys talking about irrelevant golem arms and that of the such?

Just get your arm re-grown back in a jiffy good chap!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Lark said:

Can we please just rework magic and clarify a system for roleplay combat and healing. I'm tired of this systemless anarchic **** where everyone defines what they want to do and be free and creative. Creativity and freedom of roleplay is all well and good but we focus so much on the damn community guidelines that the rules of roleplay etiquette and engagement suffer vastly.  

 

Is that something people would even be okay with?

Honestly what I'm going for. I don't want magic to be nerf'ed unless it is op and I definitely do not like this core magic. We do have a lot of stuff in existing lore that can be fleshed out though. Not too sure what you mean by system though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The Templar said:

We shall have to agree to disagree, then! Best of luck to your endeavors in molding the server to your liking. 

 

Ain't moulding anything, explaining the physics behind this statement:

 

"The limbs are stronger than a normal limb, though not by much, yet they are far slower and clumsier."

 

 

Explaining that if /YOU/ see someone claiming they are superior to normal arms, you may report metagaming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MightyTom said:

Why are you guys talking about irrelevant golem arms and that of the such?

Just get your arm re-grown back in a jiffy good chap!

I mean. Potions of regeneration exist. Just go ask a mother for her liver, brutally murder her face and void her participation in the RP when she refuses, and make one! Make sure she's of your race first, unless you want an ugly cancer arm. Or, you could go to your frie- oh wait no healer can remake limbs or major organs. At all. No matter how it's done and how much RP is made. The current choice is between killing someone for their liver, or getting a replacement. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...