[✗] [Magic Lore] – Clarification: Evocation Combinations

ZythusRequiem

cooltext339380279538440.png.350c9d2cfd7d63c3011b422fd9d4549b.png

Origin

The art of combining Elemental Evocation comes from some of the earliest wonders of the Descendants when they begun to explore the Five Elemental Evocations. These combinations are widely used now to produce different and unique effects that act as “applying” factors to the combination of two spells from two different Elemental Evocations. These combinations are unique and interesting, and can have different effects on the circumstances of combat with evocation magic. 

Links

See the following links for details on each respective evocation:

Magic Explanation

Evocations are powerful magics, filled with brimming potential and ideas in each. Each Evocation brings something new to the table. As a result, combining these evocations to produce new results is fairly popular. Since this practice has become popular, there are a number of different “effects” that may occur should two evocations be combined together. This lore exists to outline those combinations and the effects they may produce. The term Combinations in this lore refers to “overlay” effects that can essentially be applied to a combination of two spells in each evocation.

• To use Combinations, you need only two mages with knowledge of two elemental evocations (NOT Arcanism or Conjuration) OR knowledge of two or more Elemental Evocations.
  • This requires no magic slots. It also need not be learned like a feat. Practice however may be required when performing Combinations.
  • Mechanics are added together, as well as red lines. All of these mechanics and red lines should be followed when performing a combination UNLESS something is explicitly stated in the combination.

Combinations

In the following lists, they will describe each different combination. These combinations are general “outcome” effects, and the specific mechanics of each combination should be referred to at each Evocation’s mechanics. The mechanics of both spells are essentially unified. Thus, the Mechanics(Combination) = Mechanics(Spell1) ∪ Mechanics(Spell2); Mechanics = Red Lines where Spell1 is the first evocation spell & Spell2 is the second evocation spell. Read as mechanics of combination = mechanics of spell1 union mechanics of spell2. To cast each combination, there must be either two mages working together or a single mage knowing both magics. 

• Fire Evocation
    • Union: Air Evocation
      • Effect: Hot Air. Combustive empowerment, becomes easier to cast Combustionary, producing a slightly more explosive effect.
    • Union: Water Evocation
      • Effect: Hot water. Produces steam and scalding effects are apparent. Water spells now can burn targets. 
    • Union: Earth Evocation
      • Effect: Lava. This lava can then be formed like normal earth evocation spells. 
    • Union: Electric Evocation
      • Effect: Electric Fire. Allows the mage to pass electricity through fire, increasing the damage in burns. 
  • Air Evocation
    • Union: Fire Evocation
      • Effect: Hot Air. Combustive empowerment, becomes easier to cast Combustionary, producing a slightly more explosive effect.
      • Effect: Produces heavier mist and fog. Able to cover larger spaces. Produces thicker ice as well. Additionally, blizzards and similar temporary weather systems may be called with hail and whatnot.
      • Effect: Empowered Sandstorm. This makes sandstorm larger slightly and lasts for longer. 
      • Effect: More accurate Calldowns. This makes aiming calldowns easier.  Allows evocation of false storms (excluding rain). 
  • Water Evocation
      • Effect: Hot water. Produces steam and scalding effects are apparent. Water spells now can burn targets.
      • Effect: Produces heavier mist and fog. Able to cover larger spaces. Produces thicker ice as well. Additionally, blizzards and similar temporary weather systems may be called with hail and whatnot.
      • Effect: Produces thick muddy water. Can form ice covered rocks. 
      • Effect: Water Evocation gains a small number of minerals to conduct electricity, allowing the caster to send electric water at a target and shock them, immobilizing them. 
  • Earth Evocation
      • Effect: Lava. This lava can then be formed like normal earth evocation spells. 
      • Effect: Empowered Sandstorm. This makes sandstorm larger slightly and lasts for longer. 
      • Effect: Produces thick muddy water. Can form ice covered rocks. 
      • Effect: Allows the mage to send electricity through the rocks that the mage summons, by arcing the electricity around the stone(s) used. 
  • Electric Evocation
      • Effect: Electric Fire. Allows the mage to pass electricity through fire, increasing the damage in burns.
    • Union: Air Evocation:
      • Effect: More accurate Calldowns. This makes aiming calldowns easier.  Allows evocation of false storms (excluding rain).
      • Effect: Water Evocation gains a small number of minerals to conduct electricity, allowing the caster to send electric water at a target and shock them, immobilizing them. 
      • Effect: Allows the mage to send electricity through the rocks that the mage summons, by arcing the electricity around the stone(s) used. 

Red Lines

Each different combination follows the red lines of each different evocation spell being used added together. Meaning that the red lines are then a sum of both spells. All mechanics still must be followed in each respective spell. However, combinations knows a few red lines to be followed.

• Do not cast combinations unless two mages are casting together (fusing their magic together) OR a single mage knows both evocations.
  • Combinations cannot be used to override existing mechanics or redlines unless it is explicitly stated. For an emote count do the larger one. If mechanics do not make sense in the combination, you may provisionally exclude that one mechanic.
  • Some combinations will produce no effects at all, do not try and make up effects.
  • Utility combinations are more free form, so mages are welcome to experiment on the condition that it is out of combat. These combinations are largely intended for combat.
  • Combinations greater than two are too powerful right now and would require the formal usage of circling or some equivalent creative magic to pull off. As such, only two elemental evocations are allowed to have combination effects.

Purpose (OOC)

The purpose of this lore is to provide clarifications for mixing effects on Evocations. Since evocations cannot do everything alone, when mages work together the above effects are outlined as “factors” which are applied to their spells. I feel like Combinations will be interesting. In some evocation rewrites I’ve done I’ve been told that Fire Evo + …. is needed to do xyz. I hope that this lore covers that base and I’m always open to new combination ideas and comments on whether or not this is effective lore. 

Citations (OOC)

My own knowledge + Evocation chat on Lore Games Discord. I’ve gained most of my knowledge also from feedback on other evocations. People lately have been generally stating that they want to see the Evocations work together more, so this is my lore-based attempt at stitching together the varying elemental evocations.

Written by ZythusRequiem

I didn’t even have to read this to know  that evocation combinations is something I’ve wanted for so long!

you’re doing the lord’s work

Hahahaha.. the forums are literally on fire and this guy is still busting out great lore submissions

Please tell me if you want anything changed or added. I threw this together in a little bit of a rush but I’m sure there’s more combinations.

Lots of possibilities here. One you missed would be water mixed with earth creating thick mud. The earth and water can be mixed together to form this thick heavy mud, manipulated to wrap around a foe, and then the water can be dispelled and cause the earth to immediately revert to a solid state. 

Honestly, this adds some new life to the evocations. I like it. +1
Keep up the good work, its amazing!

1 minute ago, BrandNewKitten said:

I am worried about some of these and the 1 hit KO potential. Lava & electric water seem problematic in this regard. 

They follow normal mechanics. These effects are generally “overlays.” Each differentiation from the standard mechanics is described in the combinations. I get it’s kind of confusing to understand at first, but essentially, if there is a lethal spell it will only be usable with say that lethal spell + another evocation. 

A lot of people wanted combos and whatnot, but I was too kind of worried about writing so many spells, so I hope this overlay approach is effective.

1 hour ago, WhereIsMySpoon said:

chad.

Thank you for submitting your Lore Games draft! You will receive input on what needs to be fixed within the next 2 or so weeks.

This lore has been denied. You will be sent a forum PM regarding the reasons for denial within the next 24 hours. I apologize in advance for the delay, things are rather hectic at the moment as most people have had finals.