Moderating Conflict & When Do I File A Modreq

Telanir

5 minutes ago, Hunwald said:

The very fact that the server is as you say it is speaks the nature of the problem, and why this may be used to address it. It is a problem of entitlement. Mods should not have to be called at the very first instant because of total obstinacy. 

If a player has flagrantly broke the rules, and refuses to compromise or makeup for this, inform them they’ll be reported. Finish the RP/PvP and do it if you find it necessary.

Narthok brought up a culture of self-policing; that’s what we should be working towards. It’s idealistic, but it’s better than what we have now. 

This is all well and good but can we get rid of bandit roleplay before we do this

11 minutes ago, Hunwald said:

Narthok brought up a culture of self-policing; that’s what we should be working towards. It’s idealistic, but it’s better than what we have now. 

I’m all for self-policing but I think it’s something that’s very hard to enforce suddenly on the server due to there being an intrinsic ideological divide between the player-base; there are those that are comfortable with self-policing because they believe that issues will (or can, at least) be resolved at a later date and those that are not comfortable with self-policing behaviour because they’ve got a distrust in the conduct of themselves and their peers. If there is perceivable room for abuse, I don’t blame people for seeing that as a detractor.

I think now is the time to hopefully have some show of force of the mod team and some subsequent competency wherein these results are a demonstrable improvement to the previous system. There are elements that people should see as a perceivable immediate benefit – no RP stalling during flubbed bandit roleplay by somebody who doesn’t want to face consequences, less of an out-of-character interference with in-character affairs, etc etc. However; until this is a demonstrated and empirical difference and improvement to the previous system, it’s relatively understandable that people’re going to be sage and cynical to such a drastic reform.

Reforms have flopped before, and the risk with having ones that are both substantial and affecting the more middling minutiae of roleplay conflict is that the risks are far more palpable. It’s something that needs some duality of belief in the system (or at least some pretence of it ) to reap some pretty sweeping benefits to the server. But the space for the ball to drop is far too wide, which is something that many of the people  detracting the change are far more cognizant of.

It’s a sink or swim policy.

8 hours ago, Hunwald said:

half-baked information

Like when you took my modreq about people joining mid pvp and combatlogging in a fight YOU PARTICIPATED IN ON THE OTHER SIDE. Told me that both sides had people who did bad stuff, closed the modreq, and when i specifically told you which players joined mid pvp and which combatlogged, you told me "oh i didnt know anything about that" and then proceeded to log off.

Its not a lack of good information, its often an unwillingness of mods to go after the ways to collect said information. A lot of info is very easy to gather, and shouldnt require a report that drags on for ages and ages. 

Further, while pausing rp might be harmful to the flow of rp, not as harmful as retroactively applying a verdict after the fact, and potentially voiding rp that other rp has built off of after it happened.

So what are gms for now anyway?

Edited by ReveredOwl

12 hours ago, Harrison said:

players specifically refuse to work with other players until a GM forces them to so they can stall situations out as long as they can to prevent losing – removing the authoratative figure that says yes or no to conclude this argument will mean nothing will ever be achieved on the server ever

i have been saying this for months, but systematically removing the GM team’s responsibilites until they do nothing at all on the server is such an awful idea

Should just allow players to start a countdown if the other side gives no legitimate excuse to wait. "I'm not ready" is not an excuse - if you're actually just changing your settings you can ******* say so and I'll wait 20 seconds, otherwise I'm not sitting there 5 minutes for 20 retards to rock up. 

Should probably also make stalling bannable. The server really has developed a culture of stalling just for the sake of it which didn't really exist even a few years ago. I remember being in some small fight against the Reivers a few months back and everyone was ready to fight, but my commander kept saying we weren't ready yet because he was trying to run it by some other guy in VC who wasn't even there. Like that's just ******* ridiculous. Wasting everyone's time for no reason. Reivers should've been allowed to just /countdown there and charge. 10 seconds is plenty of time to backspace and stick your hand on your mouse. 

well **** it we might as well just /roll 20 to decide things

2 hours ago, Nug said:

well **** it we might as well just /roll 20 to decide things

rollplay > “roleplay”

12 hours ago, frill said:

Reforms have flopped before, and the risk with having ones that are both substantial and affecting the more middling minutiae of roleplay conflict is that the risks are far more palpable. It’s something that needs some duality of belief in the system (or at least some pretence of it ) to reap some pretty sweeping benefits to the server. But the space for the ball to drop is far too wide, which is something that many of the people  detracting the change are far more cognizant of.

It’s a sink or swim policy.

yeah the problem with that is, how long after everyone knew the reform flopped is it removed or reverted? the answer is /usually/ never. even if this policy sinks and everybody on the server realizes it’s a massive flop it’s basically permanent.

not to mention it’s broken in the first place.

097dcaef244b0a68c4e6a7d83dfb04d6-png.jpg

no matter what you think about this new rule/update/whatever, this has to be the most poorly worded rule addition i’ve seen in my entire eight-year lotc tenure. “If you cannot reach a compromise to end the situation, please cooperatively work together to find a middle ground to end the situation”. the rule is literally ‘If you cannot find a compromise please find a compromise’.

It seems like telanir came up with this this morning and then didn’t give it time to stew before posting it. and if gms are now not supposed to /moderate/ the /game/, what are they supposed to do? charters are a plugin now, eviction is a plugin now, item renames arn’t supposed to be modreq’able anymore, removing inactive settlements is a different team now, events are a different team, lore disputes are a different team... so, what do gms actually DO?

Before the Fringe era, it’d be rare to find a GM online even with 150+ players online. They were nowhere to be seen, but the server wasn’t falling apart back then. People have sucked on the GM milk bottle for years to where they don’t know how to play without it. I think this can pan out favorably. That being said, I don’t approve of GM responsibilities getting progressively neutered down the line.

4 hours ago, Treshure said:

Before the Fringe era, it’d be rare to find a GM online even with 150+ players online. They were nowhere to be seen, but the server wasn’t falling apart back then. People have sucked on the GM milk bottle for years to where they don’t know how to play without it. I think this can pan out favorably. That being said, I don’t approve of GM responsibilities getting progressively neutered down the line.

before the fringe era if you got in an rp fight and the other guy disagreed with you there would be a 4 hour argument and a ban report

also there were usually gms (and admins) online they were just erping most of the time

take the nostalgia goggles off