Admin Update, Recent Events

Telanir

Hey everyone,

Recently, there’s been a lot of server issues & shuffling in leadership, all somewhat chaotic—so we’ve seen a noticeable disconnect between teams, namely leadership. We’re looking now to pull things back together and unify our efforts to push for a real direction together. We don’t have too many details on this as of yet, but we did hold our first admin meeting to set the groundwork for future changes. Since the server issues and holidays you guys haven’t heard much from us but with things picking up a bit we’d like to to break the silence and open some communication.

Staff Downsize

We’re going to be recruiting people. Some teams needs more hands and there’s no point keeping to a rigid limitation—each team has their own unique requirements and so we need to factor that into account. Our goal is meeting our current needs and structuring the staff in such a way that we focus on the content that matters to the players. Hopefully we can focus on what’s important this year instead of playing the numbers game.

What was the concept of staff downsize? The issue lies with me—I miscommunicated a goal we had set as an administration. It was received as a mandatory initiative and I played into the notion that recruitment was off-limits. Reducing numbers was never the point of this initiative—it was about streamlining staff work to mean less grunt paperwork and decentralizing staff authority and promoting player initiatives. Hence—we’d eventually need less staff to deliver essentially the same and more content, however, it was not received this way given the way I chose to communicate it. I’d like to take this opportunity to apologize to the folks who were truly inconvenienced by this misconception as I know we missed out on good work. Cheers guys, and thank you for reading this far in.

The Safety Team

The Safety Team got released prematurely and inaccurately. Although the real conception behind the team had good promise, it was important to roll it out in a controlled manner. In the end, the admin team was taken by surprise as much as our fellow players were. It was certainly not drafted to moderate anything, let alone taking over moderator duties. Some basic first drafts for the team intended to securely investigate harassment, predatory behaviour, and other sensitive situations after a chance for the roster to be community vetted and staff to pitch in suggestions on the idea. None of this happened and so now the Safety Team is defunct permanently; the Admin team will continue to handle these delicate investigations with the help of moderation.

For more details please visit this post:
https://www.lordofthecraft.net/forums/topic/188430-safety-team/

Appeals

Since November, the Community Team has been trialing a new system for handling ban appeals. Two independent members of the team would assess the appeal by reviewing the player’s history, the cause behind their ban, and their ban appeal, and then they would take opposite sides. One member would use the available evidence to argue against the unban and the other would argue in favour of their pardon to the best of their ability. Team members managed appeals honorably and rigorously, however, we found that the verdicts were too inconsistent to continue further use and appeals would pile up due to the workload. So, after hearing thoughts from both teams and reviewing the execution of the project, we have created a new similar system but this time under Moderator control.

Final Note

Really, I’d like to get to a point where we can look back and say, “Hey, things haven’t been so shaky lately.” If you haven’t caught up on our current solutions to server instability, we’re upgrading our server machine & Korvic has 1.15 fully planned out. As for general problems, we’re generally happy we are afloat despite the October tech exodus and the madness that followed. And now, we’re moving forward following this address and we hope this post has taken the right first steps in your eyes. We owe everyone an apology for the lack of clarity and communication as of late—as we really should be prioritizing openness and community involvement. We are meeting again soon to hopefully propose a formal direction for us as a server and community.

Thank you for reading,

The Admin Team

I appreciate that you’re able to admit mistakes were made and to move past them. 

I'm so happy.

I can finally make a 100 person event team...

Thanks, Telanir. I believe the lot of you can figure this all out and eventually reach a sweet-spot for administration and staff. Just gonna take time. Thanks for all your dedication to the server, dude. People are quick to hop on the admin-hate bandwagon when they don't realize how much you guys actually do.

at this point i just dont trust a thing you guys can say

its all well and good to say ‘oh we’re admitting this was a mistake’ but when everything you ever do just seems to be a mistake or a miscommunication it leaves a very lasting impression lmao

telanir i seriously think the best thing for the server and its development is for you to resign as an active part in its design and management, and are there as tythus 2 to simply run it and be around to help with legal matters that the ‘chairman’ would do

Can you guys spread some more light on what exactly happened with the whole SchoolRP issue? There’s lots of different rumours and stories going around, and it’d be nice to hear what the admins have to say. 

1 minute ago, Harrison said:

its all well and good to say ‘oh we’re admitting this was a mistake’ but when everything you ever do just seems to be a mistake or a miscommunication it leaves a very lasting impression lmao

telanir i seriously think the best thing for the server and its development is for you to resign as an active part in its design and management, and are there as tythus 2 to simply run it and be around to help with legal matters that the ‘chairman’ would do

that’s crazy bro hop on iceborne

6 minutes ago, Tha_Mystery_Man said:

I'm so happy.

I don’t know why but this made me laugh harder than it should’ve. 

1 minute ago, Harrison said:

Yh lmao. It’s almost like it doesn’t take half a brain cell to realize all of the things that didn’t work wouldn’t work. 

Just now, Lumii said:

Can you guys spread some more light on what exactly happened with the whole SchoolRP issue? There’s lots of different rumours and stories going around, and it’d be nice to hear what the admins have to say. 

Folks pulled a publicity stunt to get attention from us on LotC, that’s what it boils down to. Frankly, I wasn’t interested in wasting any breath on that since they tried to pull a fast one on a negotiation that never happened in the first place.

8 minutes ago, Tha_Mystery_Man said:

I'm so happy.

Gib pls

1 minute ago, ARCHITECUS said:

that’s crazy bro hop on iceborne

yo dont talk to me pls and delete me off steam whilst ur at it

where is flambo? it’s so hard to have steady communication with him. he put the loremags into pending and wants edits made but he doesn’t respond afterwards. is he just putting off his responsibilities for the millionth time?

Telanir, I really don’t like your wishy washy explanation for the staff downsizing. I don’t believe for a single second that you “miscommunicated” the concept. You would have seen the complaints and concerns and addressed them immediately if your intention was contrary to what the belief was. Instead – as you said yourself - you played into it. Don’t apologize for the wrong mistake. Own up to it. 

If it really was as you say then you dropped the ball – and the ball was made of dwarf star stuff. Which means either you are incompetent, or lazy, or do not listen to your subordinates and community well or at all, or some combination of all that. 

Or. You had an idea. Thought it would work. Gave it a fair shake, and realized it was a mistake. I’m more inclined to believe the later because I don’t think you’re lazy or incompetent by any means. So apologize for that instead of some made up or hard to believe mistake that most likely doesn’t exist given the evidence. 

Otherwise, good to hear changes are coming through with that and other things!