The Techlock Project - Phase 2

Archipelego

The Techlock Project

Phase 2

~+~

Hello everyone. The techlock project is well underway. I’ve taken some time to get a discord ready, as well as have an idea of what we want to cover in each of our seven categories. This post will include a link to the Techlock discord server, as well as an application process for those who wish to become Writers for a specific category.

https://discord.gg/NvbTaKB 

This is the link to the Techlock Discord.

As a reminder, our categories are:

• Armaments
  • Medical
  • Tech-Power
  • Siege-Power
  • Metallurgy
  • Tech-Magic
  • Transport

To submit yourself as a Writer, fill out the application below, and be aware of the following requirements: You can only write for one Category. We are only accepting two Writers per Category. This is not a first come first serve type deal, it’s whoever we think would suit the role best. For those of you who aren’t Writers or aren’t accepted as one, you’re still welcome into the discord and the discussion channels of each Category, just not the writing itself. The actual writing is for the LT and for the Writers.

If you wish to apply to be a Writer, fill out the format below and submit it in the comments of this post.

- Archi

~+~

MC Username:

Discord:

Which Category you wish to work on:

Why you wish to work on that Category:

What you want to see from that Category:

archipelego doing work wtf... sign my items and let me yell at you mf..

MC Username: TheRainbowRoyal

Discord: TheRainbowRoyal#4216

Category Wished to Work On: Medicind

Why Medicine?: I am studying to get certified in real life and I enjoy it both in game (lead the Arcas med guild) and IRL

What You want to see from that category: Some semblance of red lines and explanations to players of what we can legitimately do with tools during the time period and what tools are appropriate 

2 minutes ago, TheGayGuardian2 said:

MC Username: TheRainbowRoyal

Discord: TheRainbowRoyal#4216

Category Wished to Work On: Medicind

Why Medicine?: I am studying to get certified in real life and I enjoy it both in game (lead the Arcas med guild) and IRL

What You want to see from that category: Some semblance of red lines and explanations to players of what we can legitimately do with tools during the time period and what tools are appropriate 

accepted

MC Username: Ragnineorak

Discord: Ragnineorak#3981 (This is my actual discord but people always seem to have an issue adding me, so sorry if there are complications.)

Category Wished to Work On: Armament/Transport

Why?: From attending science classes in college I have a slightly more intimate knowledge of chemistry and physics, and wish to bring it to LoTC in a unique and interesting way.

What I want to see from the categories?: All I really want from any category are reasonable advancements that come with benefits, and comparable downsides to said benefits.

MC Username: funnyhappyharry

Discord: funnyhappyharry#8442

Which Category you wish to work on: Generally a bit of everything, minus magic. I do not have nearly enough information in that department to be anything but a hindrance. In other categories I believe I can at least work as a middle ground.

Why you wish to work on that Category: Mainly to keep the aesthetic of LOTC alive without limiting the improvements to the techlock. In short it would be a shame if the server appeared too modern, and while many idea’s are being discussed I personally want to ensure that the over all theme of LOTC is not damaged. I wish to do this by compromising using arguments from both sides of a discussion in an attempt to make an item both sides can at least somewhat embrace. 

What you want to see from that Category: Improvements in both civilian, military, and transportation along with others. Things such as cast iron bowls, or other every day use contraptions may be well suited for LOTC. I personally want to see items that will directly effect life outside of combat rp, while also wanting to keep combat rp from becoming too easy to abuse. I believe balances are needed and ideals should be taken from both sides of the spectrum. If one group of players wishes to see one item change, but the other wants the opposite it’s always wise to compromise. It’s also very important that these new items, weapons, tools, and technology increases are viable visually in game. For example you wouldn’t wan’t an item such as iron gates to be represented using oak fences. This would by common knowledge throw off the immersion. 

MC Username:

Auric_Saint, Hireling, and Slaves_To_Armok

Discord: 

Quavinir#1445

Metallurgy

Most of my time on the server is spent with things atleast vaguely related to metallurgy. My main character is a bronzesmith who works cuprous alloys, and I m messaged quite frequently regarding things to do with smithing and metallurgy

I would like to see defined limits. I would like to see what materials we have access to, and what things we’re able to use and experiment with. Given the magical nature of Lordofthecraft, the discovery, isolation, and processing of materials would happen differently than IRL, as such, I would like to see materials used that our characters would reasonably be able to use, yet have our characters’ knowledge restricted on things they’d have no ability to understand given our technological and magical prowesses.

15 hours ago, Ragnineorak said:

MC Username: Ragnineorak

Discord: Ragnineorak#3981 (This is my actual discord but people always seem to have an issue adding me, so sorry if there are complications.)

Category Wished to Work On: Armament/Transport

Why?: From attending science classes in college I have a slightly more intimate knowledge of chemistry and physics, and wish to bring it to LoTC in a unique and interesting way.

What I want to see from the categories?: All I really want from any category are reasonable advancements that come with benefits, and comparable downsides to said benefits.

14 hours ago, funnyhappyharry said:

Which Category you wish to work on: Generally a bit of everything, minus magic. I do not have nearly enough information in that department to be anything but a hindrance. In other categories I believe I can at least work as a middle ground.

Why you wish to work on that Category: Mainly to keep the aesthetic of LOTC alive without limiting the improvements to the techlock. In short it would be a shame if the server appeared too modern, and while many idea’s are being discussed I personally want to ensure that the over all theme of LOTC is not damaged. I wish to do this by compromising using arguments from both sides of a discussion in an attempt to make an item both sides can at least somewhat embrace. 

What you want to see from that Category: Improvements in both civilian, military, and transportation along with others. Things such as cast iron bowls, or other every day use contraptions may be well suited for LOTC. I personally want to see items that will directly effect life outside of combat rp, while also wanting to keep combat rp from becoming too easy to abuse. I believe balances are needed and ideals should be taken from both sides of the spectrum. If one group of players wishes to see one item change, but the other wants the opposite it’s always wise to compromise. It’s also very important that these new items, weapons, tools, and technology increases are viable visually in game. For example you wouldn’t wan’t an item such as iron gates to be represented using oak fences. This would by common knowledge throw off the immersion. 

As I said in the post, you can only work on one category.

34 minutes ago, Quavinir_Twiceborn said:

MC Username:

Auric_Saint, Hireling, and Slaves_To_Armok

Discord: 

Quavinir#1445

Metallurgy

Most of my time on the server is spent with things atleast vaguely related to metallurgy. My main character is a bronzesmith who works cuprous alloys, and I m messaged quite frequently regarding things to do with smithing and metallurgy

I would like to see defined limits. I would like to see what materials we have access to, and what things we’re able to use and experiment with. Given the magical nature of Lordofthecraft, the discovery, isolation, and processing of materials would happen differently than IRL, as such, I would like to see materials used that our characters would reasonably be able to use, yet have our characters’ knowledge restricted on things they’d have no ability to understand given our technological and magical prowesses.

accepted

1 hour ago, Archipelego said:

As I said in the post, you can only work on one category.

accepted

Would you mind if I worked on tech power and metal? Those both intermix quite a bit.

Which Category you wish to work on: Techpower

MC Username: Harren

Discord: Hanrahan#4886

Which Category you wish to work on: Armaments

Why you wish to work on that Category: I’ve literally been lobbying for guns and cannons in lotc since asulon so 9 years

What you want to see from that Category: guns and cannons

13 minutes ago, funnyhappyharry said:

Which Category you wish to work on: Techpower

9 minutes ago, Hanrahan said:

MC Username: Harren

Discord: Hanrahan#4886

Which Category you wish to work on: Armaments

Why you wish to work on that Category: I’ve literally been lobbying for guns and cannons in lotc since asulon so 9 years

What you want to see from that Category: guns and cannons

accepted

MC Username: xboxersz

Discord: Cash4Gold#1763

Which Category you wish to work on: Tech-Power

Why you wish to work on that Category: I’ve completed coursework in the foundations and history of science/technology, and have a brief history of work experience that includes the maintenance of  considerably large machines. It’s a field that I have a vested interest in, and I’d enjoy the opportunity to examine how the IRL development of technology interacts with arcane, alchemical, and mundane aspects of the server lore, along with overarching server themes.

What you want to see from that Category: I’d like to establish the limits of LoTC technology in a manner that opens it up organically for even further development and discussion later on in the server’s arc. The problem with setting static limits to technological progress is that some players will immediately begin to charge towards that limit to reach it as soon as possible. Once such a static limit is reached, players and characters will lack room to grow, and then stagnate and lose interest. I’d like to see a dynamic techlock with milestones that can be reached over time with research and development by player groups. As time goes by, a wider breadth of devices should be available for development by players, instead of simply them hitting a static ceiling within a few months.

MC Username: ScreamingDingo

Discord: joel#4235

Which Category you wish to work on: siege

i want cannons and explosives for warclaims

What you want to see from that Category:

Cannons