[✗] [Magic Lore] Malleanism

Narthok

8 hours ago, Narthok said:

there are no T5 spells in this magic. Higher level spells just take more energy. Almost every spell in the magic system requires multiple people to cast it. What other divine magics do doesn't really matter to me unless its a question of balance.

Ye I believe Naz is moreso based on "if you have this much Malleus in you then you can perform x" but I could be wrong. 

Wouldn't protect me act as a type of stasis where Keepers would be effectively be able to lock themselves away somewhere and turn themselves to stone to be revived when they're needed hundreds of years later?

3 minutes ago, drfate786 said:

Wouldn't protect me act as a type of stasis where Keepers would be effectively be able to lock themselves away somewhere and turn themselves to stone to be revived when they're needed hundreds of years later?

you could use it like that if you wanted to yeah

21 minutes ago, drfate786 said:

Just gotta petrify like a few thousand keepers and build an unbreakable wall with them (maybe even 3 walls, why not) to protect the rest of the cult so that hundreds of years later they can release them all to destroy the world in a cataclysmic event known simply as The Grumbling

I think it's a nice idea that fills an interesting niche, my only problems with it are:

-The way to become T6 is very undefined and loose, it means that it could lead to some interesting culture of selection of T6, but it also may just become an OOC popularity contest.

-Protect Me could be an okay spell, though I think 2 emotes for invulnerability leads to mundane conflict, and (from what I understand) it only takes 1 emote to dispel. The scenario of soft shelving, or any form of events which make it a 'risky' thing is unlikely.

14 minutes ago, GodEatingCommie said:

I think it's a nice idea that fills an interesting niche, my only problems with it are:

-The way to become T6 is very undefined and loose, it means that it could lead to some interesting culture of selection of T6, but it also may just become an OOC popularity contest.

-Protect Me could be an okay spell, though I think 2 emotes for invulnerability leads to mundane conflict, and (from what I understand) it only takes 1 emote to dispel. The scenario of soft shelving, or any form of events which make it a 'risky' thing is unlikely.

I might increase the cost of protect me, I think a self cast soft pk isn't as good as people think tho. Even if you petrify they can just pick you up and throw you in an ocean

19 hours ago, Narthok said:

suggestions always appreciated

Should this reach the mag, I will give more in-depth feedback, though for the sake of simplicity I will outline my recommendations clearly and plainly. In fair warning, this feedback reflects only my own views and not that of other ST, so changing it to these accordingly will not necessarily satisfy all demands. Regardless, lets begin:

— Theme: The theme of your lore is rather broad and branches out in many directions, seeming like fire evocation, holy warding, blood magic rituals, and cleric healing all in one. I would recommend, to start, going down along the list of abilities and narrowing them to a select few which adhere to a particular theme. If you are going to apply more than one theme in your lore, make sure they are able to tie together. I think that fire-based clerics could be really neat conceptually and narratively if given the right tools.

— Targeting: I am not against the targeting of other magics, personally. While I am aware that many believe light v holy is something to be avoided, I would not mind seeing it. That said, I think you should more deeply describe magic "that does not align with Malleus", and grant it a more unique interaction beyond simply being warded. Conflict roleplay with magics like these can exist, but it should be more that simply de-powering or tracking down said enemies. 

— Warding: Warding is something to be incredibly careful of with regards to my prior point. To start, I would recommend making it so that these wards must be set up by a number of clerics beforehand, and are not something simply to be activated in combat. Though the ritual circle aesthetic is nice, I suggest allowing other means of carrying this out as well, such as monoliths or temples, etc. Wards should also not, ideally, completely keep people out, and should be destroyable to some extent, as otherwise it simply becomes RP avoidance.

— Mechanics: I am personally fond of how simplistic the mechanics of spells are in this lore, however, I do also feel that they should have a slightly higher degree of definition, at least so that people can know the extent of its power. Though straightforwardness and simplicity is good, it's also important to ensure that people can adequately comprehend the spell and have less leeway to abuse it.

— Rituals: Describe all the rituals in more depth and give explicit lists of what can and cannot be done. Your introduction to the glyphs suggests that the rituals can bring life back to a field, though to my current knowledge there is no such spell that is listed. I'd also recommend keeping said rituals to a certain theme so that they do not branch out in too much in terms of niche.

— Other Comments: I'm not particularly a fan of the DnD system which this adopts, and I would not recommend magics that rely this heavily on DnD rolling mechanics, though that is just my own opinion. I also wouldn't have the lore stray too heavily from the overall tier system of LOTC. Otherwise, I find the drawbacks of poor casting to be interesting, though I think they could be expanded upon. This seems like a genuinely interesting magic and, if carried out right, could add a lot to religious RP as is intended. 

That wraps up my general comments though. If you have any other questions or ideas, simply respond on the post or contact me on discord. I'm always happy to help out with new magics. Otherwise, I wish you luck!

1 hour ago, GodEatingCommie said:

You're forgetting that they can dump you into the sea or bury you. If they swarm a Keeper and he uses protect me as a way to avoid fighting he'll just be thrown into a river or buried somewhere they'll never find him. It's risky to use and I would only imagine it being used as a way to shelf keepers or temporarily survive grievous wounds that would otherwise kill you.

1 hour ago, Sorcerio said:

— Theme: The theme of your lore is rather broad and branches out in many directions, seeming like fire evocation, holy warding, blood magic rituals, and cleric healing all in one. I would recommend, to start, going down along the list of abilities and narrowing them to a select few which adhere to a particular theme. If you are going to apply more than one theme in your lore, make sure they are able to tie together. I think that fire-based clerics could be really neat conceptually and narratively if given the right tools.

The issue with this argument is that it's been used too many times to deny lore that should of been passed simply because such and such group didn't want that lore passed due to the competition it might cause. The common corrupt argument was that the lore was to similar to theirs and would therefore cause conflict, that's simply not the case.

Simply because one magic is able to do something specific such as a fire based ability doesn't mean others shouldn't be able to do something similar. What matters is how that effect is obtained and what it does, a voidal fire for example is not actually real fire where-as this likely would be real fire or deific flame in origin. 

1 hour ago, drfate786 said:

The issue with this argument is that it's been used too many times to deny lore that should of been passed simply because such and such group didn't want that lore passed due to the competition it might cause. The common corrupt argument was that the lore was to similar to theirs and would therefore cause conflict, that's simply not the case.

Simply because one magic is able to do something specific such as a fire based ability doesn't mean others shouldn't be able to do something similar. What matters is how that effect is obtained and what it does, a voidal fire for example is not actually real fire where-as this likely would be real fire or deific flame in origin. 

Thats not what I'm saying. I don't mind niche overlap to a moderate extent. Fire is rather large in terms of how it can be applied. What I more-so mean is that the lore should have a certain avenue of RP it focuses on rather than taking on multiple niches. It's the same reason why magics like Arcanism were just bad, because they were "everything-magics" that didn't fall into a general category of application. 

If you want to use fire, by all means go ahead. I'm just saying don't have fire but then also nature growth spells. Thats where the conflict lies, not niche overlap.

4 minutes ago, Sorcerio said:

Thats not what I'm saying. I don't mind niche overlap to a moderate extent. Fire is rather large in terms of how it can be applied. What I more-so mean is that the lore should have a certain avenue of RP it focuses on rather than taking on multiple niches. It's the same reason why magics like Arcanism were just bad, because they were "everything-magics" that didn't fall into a general category of application. 

If you want to use fire, by all means go ahead. I'm just saying don't have fire but then also nature growth spells.

ye the nature growth spell was more to fit into the niche of mud hut peasant rp for helping struggling crops or keeping food from spoiling. Its literally a do nothing spell meant to be put on scarecrows similar to the various pseudo house mage spells that preserve food. If it draws away from the theme I can remove it. My 'theme' I guess is back country hedge witch / hedge priest

3 hours ago, Sorcerio said:

If you want to use fire, by all means go ahead. I'm just saying don't have fire but then also nature growth spells. Thats where the conflict lies, not niche overlap.

That I agree with, overlap has to make sense and synergize with the magic. Fire with nature growth spells for example would require that the fire work like phoenix flames or the dragonbreath from the red dragonflight in WoW where it burns the land but then causes it to become magically imbued with life energies.

3 hours ago, Narthok said:

ye the nature growth spell was more to fit into the niche of mud hut peasant rp for helping struggling crops or keeping food from spoiling. Its literally a do nothing spell meant to be put on scarecrows similar to the various pseudo house mage spells that preserve food. If it draws away from the theme I can remove it. My 'theme' I guess is back country hedge witch / hedge priest

Should have it work by using imbued flames to purify soil or imbued ashes to preserve food.

Kinda neato actually

Low key wanna learn +1 would def make a Norlander if this magic is accepted