Vargs - Community Outreach

Jentos

VARGS - COMMUNITY OUTREACH

jgybcLsbNv6aoXeE6yn3DRG3BCVrY3rr84Tv6UTb4ryWoYlsGtyMeTiTSYeAokWe-c881F_fARQk_gHdbLxpaV4UrdmJMb-HaVeetd99vuxUoae4Gp8eyLGEGQ3wOf8JvTzsDFxB

Spoiler

Hey, this is your bi-yearly jentos-post.

The purpose of this thread is an attempt from me, and other members of the varg community to reach out to the community. 

‘Vargs’, or werebeasts, are the broad LoTC equivalent to werewolves. While not exactly werewolves, the original idea behind these was to offer a twist on the genre, taking inspiration from historical folklore (greek, asian, eastern and western european as well as french canadian), while also including other elements from our own imagination and authors we found influential such as R. Scott Bakker and his Prince of Nothing series. But the funniest part is that for me, the concept itself was based off of a French (yeah im a frenchie degenerate) boardgame named Loup-Garou (werewolf), where the werewolves kill people every night, and the villagers need to figure out who the werewolves are. Basically an among-us board game from 2008. 

Beyond that, the point of this CA was effectively to make these as complicated as we could, with an in-depth culture and spirituality (not to mention the so called “deep lore” headcanon). And in this, we succeeded. Effectively, these creatures succeeded in being complex entities, driven by specific ideologies. 

Early on in production, both me and Callisto quickly realized, and dreamt, of a creature that existed squarely as an element of roleplay; we wanted to avoid any turmoil or OOC influence. While this is good in theory, in practice, we failed to promote this creature rightfully, and grew paranoid to reach out or take risks for fear of metagaming and poor play from other communities. 

There are many reasons for this, our own paranoia, bad experiences with players (metagaming, poor play, **** mentality from both parties). And more broadly, we’re a busy bunch, just like everyone, and many players across the server seem to be taken by a lethargy of sorts, where roleplay becomes difficult to create out of thin air. Once again, this is why this post has been made. 

Though this is not the first of these posts. In an attempt to increase our numbers, and reach out to the community to involve others in roleplay we’ve made multiple “recruitment” posts in the past. Many of these vaguely allude to some kind of esoteric, pseudo-philosophical roleplay. Though obviously, only those in the OOC know who we’ve had connections with actually applied to those posts. But what were they about ? Largely speaking, these posts were meant to be extremely vague, they only hinted at certain ideologies, ways of thinking, in order to attract the players with a penchant for deep discussions and the capacity of the kind of melancholic, somber creativity that characterized the perfect candidate, in our minds. The “varg” is far more than a werewolf; it is a monster of the dark, a boogeyman, one that hides in the shadows and, through his intellect, his passions, his goals and his long-standing scheme, toils in the dark. Sounds good, but doesn't mean much when everything is controlled through discord. 

But the varg is also an individual ; and all varg characters are usually possessed of some sort of intrinsic spiritual belief that guides his actions and ethics. There is unironically a very elaborate culture that surrounds the creature, that effectively gives it purpose beyond the slaughter expected of it. 

But I mean, hell, we even have a bunch of busted event creatures which ET/LT can toy with during eventlines, but we’ve yet to have anyone really asked to play one and go tear down a village. 

From it’s own speech, to the rituals, beliefs, religious aspirations to the simple experience of trying to playing the role of an individual that has to live a day to day life of such an entity, and the mental and physiological implications that involve themselves dearly in the RP of the varg, there’s a lot to do, but also a lot to mess up. And a lot of people who wouldn't mind pvping us for the sake of a simple trophy or 5 minute claim to fame. 

So, all this said, let me just get on my knees, clasp my hands together, lower my head, and say ; please. Please, come and have good roleplay. Please, let’s write up an exciting narrative together. No one has to win. No one has to dominate the other. What we want is to craft something very intricate, an ambiguous storyline where both sides can learn from each other, or even coalesce. I know it’s cheap to turn to an OOC post for this, but if you guys’ only recourse to bringing the server together is ******* basketball (LOL), could we not do the same with one of the many CA’s out there, meant to serve the server ? 

Here me out on this but a part of me thinks that CA’s, to a small extent, are public servants in the way that there should be some expectation that they bring some roleplay to the community and transform the server in some way, shape, or form. The reason for their creation, and implementation from the part of the LT, is all an investment to make this server a better place. Right ? 

So let’s do that with these “catholic furries”, as one Joel would call them, and he’ll likely try and gut me for making this post in the first place. While this isn’t really a “recruitment” drive, I’d love to receive all of you’s thoughts on the matter of this CA, your desires, your ideas. Hell, I even invite those who are interested in taking part with the CA to voice themselves as well. I’ll answer any questions about the CA, any concerns, anything really. 

Anyways, here’s to an attempt at making this CA what I always wanted it to be. 

If you want to contact some of us directly for any purpose, here is an access to our DM’s ;

Jentos: Jentos#6646

Axeluu: axluh#0187

Mordhaund: sam.#7121

whyd u make a post about me

Lol okay if you are an accepted CA, then how come I don't see any vargs

Check mate you furry

Vargs don't exist. 

What's a Varg?

I've never seen a Varg before?

What's a Varg?

What's a Varg?

Varg?

Varg?

Although philosophical RP isn't exactly my cup of tea, I've always been intrigued by those CAs that are meant to be "less than human." CAs, magics, or feats that are meant to be grotesque, vile, and hideous in every sense of the words, or at least -- allow the character to be transformed into those things, whether physically, mentally, or even morally. I think the more literally "disgusting" face of RP is widely undervalued. I want to see people who RP character as "the monster," or who aren't afraid to RP them as gross or wicked, whether it's someone who is willing to flay a child for a ritual, or someone who just can't hack up that phlegm from their throat. Like, correct me if I'm wrong, it feels like this is the intent behind Vargs, or at least a part of it (especially when compared to the Ferals) which is something I really respect

2 minutes ago, ᴜɴᴡɪʟʟɪɴɢʟʏ said:

it feels like this is the intent behind Vargs

Not exactly. Vargs generally believe that what they do is for a sort of "greater good", they adopt, or have been manipulated to adopt some kind of spiritual belief to drive them to do certain things. They will effectively commit horrible actions, but will essentially gaslight themselves into thinking they're doing something that is rightful for the sake of coping. Keep in mind, you're a person that's being driven to find an excuse to devour someone, your brain will try and justify it. 

I dont often post on the forums or get involved in any of the debates/feedback threads, but i just wanted to say i love the goal of this post.

As someone who plays and antagonistic character/leads a group in that vein, I've found from my experiences that speaking oocly with the people you plan on doing villiany to is only beneficial in the long run for the both of you and leads to a much greater narrative to develop between both parties.

So the fact you've reached out to engage with the community in the same sort of manner speaks volumes to your good intentions.

Now while personally I've had zero experiences with Vargs and can't offer anything constructive for you. I do hope others take this post seriously and offer something of benefit.

26 minutes ago, TheWhiteWolf said:

I dont often post on the forums or get involved in any of the debates/feedback threads, but i just wanted to say i love the goal of this post.

As someone who plays and antagonistic character/leads a group in that vein, I've found from my experiences that speaking oocly with the people you plan on doing villiany to is only beneficial in the long run for the both of you and leads to a much greater narrative to develop between both parties.

So the fact you've reached out to engage with the community in the same sort of manner speaks volumes to your good intentions.

Now while personally I've had zero experiences with Vargs and can't offer anything constructive for you. I do hope others take this post seriously and offer something of benefit.

vargs as a group value communication, understanding, and genuine communication between them and the players they interact with. You touched upon an interesting point about villainy. I also think that villainy is only as effective as the quality of the rp that players encourage. For many of us, it’s important to convey the complexities of the characters when  meeting other continental dwellers and perhaps leave them with a sense of intrigue (and at times gut-wrenching trepidation).  It’s not their penchant for violence, or their thirst, that makes vargs palpable villains but rather the parallels of their condition to that of humanity’s. Their presence is powerful and enticing because, in the darkest sense, their constant battle with themselves is relatable to many individuals. We appreciate your insights and hope to hear more from you :)

Vargs don't exist 

Would be kinda nice to have a poor village by a swamp; a place welcoming conflict, and with a focus on dynamic RP *cough*  Imagine how intriguing and fun it'd be to have creatures akin to Vargrs prowling around such region... but I guess one can only dream of something as exciting as that, instead having to cope with walled, gate-locked, cities wherein no real conflict ever truly seems to happen and RP has little to no effect. Unless...

Loup Garou is an amazing game.