A Novice's Thesis: ON AMBITION AND DILIGENCE

GoodGuyMatt

A Novice's Thesis:

ON AMBITION AND DILIGENCE

Written on the Sun's Smile, 1851

Spoiler

BRZO67ktcPnpOB9C2DFlnwwwiBD6kpEfhQWuvMo4mGBN53-vvNQBnimkfkg8h0eQGXh4jzwmzvha9bUIlcZXgIbeHLsSX0HloFIC7HkRQty21FTbnPp0uW2v1WtxdsakocBdFq3g

_ET0L7EZaeGcEcfZWK17NccKBIkYr5ixKLpcviEFvG3XZX2_zyOc5XbIF4d1cJD3ujoyiCD5xZ8GBP9vD39k8dUG6fFGSTI9Fsi69fWOsl1furPFvOI-6agXucWEnmhK3hH-b92Q

Depiction of a siege, initiated so to fulfill the intentions and ambitions of man

Dear Brothers and Sisters in GOD,

Since the dawn of time man has been surrounded by his own ambition. It has been an ever present characteristic. To challenge, to conquer, and to achieve. We are especially able to see its presence in our recent years. We see the ambition of new Emperors to dethrone the old ones, and we have seen attempts of Anti-Pontiffs to dethrone the current one. Ambition to the right, ambition to the left. Even the “THE CATECHISM OF THE CANONIST CHURCH” labels it as a sin, listing it amongst murder, thievery, sexual immorality, etcetera etcetera. Ambition then is something wretched, something that the good canonist should stray away from…

I wish to challenge such belief.

If ambition and all its forms is a sin, why then was Saint Adrian’s “youth was marked with a characteristic rivalry with his elder brother and passionate ambition”? (LEGENDA SANCTORUM I) And why do we read of Saint Harald’s “ambition of joining the Brotherhood of St. Karl” (LEGENDA SANCTORUM II)? Within the House of Barclay, I was raised to be an ambitious man, I was told that ambition was paramount, and that it fueled all the good work I was to do. As a child, I witnessed how the diligence and ambition of King Georg I of Sutica liberated the Commonwealth, purging it from the heathens and the degeneracy that had plagued it.

What then, really is ambition? In simple terms and through this thesis, ambition, in its neutral and pure form, will be defined as ‘the aspiration to achieve a particular goal’. This is what the world usually means by the term ambition, it is to strongly wish for the accomplishment of something.

No mentions of ambition can be seen in the Scroll of Virtue, it is neither condemned nor praised. The Holy Scroll, does however, praise Diligence:

“For I have blessed you with My miracle of creation, and you shall draw nearer to My throne by your labors. And you shall discover strength of heart as you work the forge and the plow. So I am the Most High, and in pursuit of My Virtue, I bid my faithful this: You shall not be idle, nor forget your duties in favor of sloth.” (Virtue 4:6-8)

So does our Lord explain to us the paramount importance of work. I believe that diligence and ambition are closely related. For how can a man be diligent in his work if he lacks the strong desire to accomplish a goal? And how can an ambitious man achieve his goal except through work?

On the much inspirational and well-written work by Acolyte Agustin “A THESIS ON DILIGENCE AND DETERMINATION” he writes “In [the faithful’s] work, which they do ever so diligently, they do in his name, all glory goes to him. From the baron to the commoners, the people are faithful and diligent.” I believe this point to be right, and wish emphasize that through the very words of our Lord, given to us through the Scroll of Virtue, ever work, as long as it does not aid the weakening of our Church and our faith, or go against scripture into heretical territory, is work blessed by divine grace.

So do us all contribute to the Divine Will through our work, be it the work of an Alderman writing new political bills for his city, be it the work of the farmer who wakes up every morning to plow the field, or be it the work of the King who oversees his people, all such work comes from GOD. It is then important for every faithful to accomplish their work diligently at all times, for they should keep in mind that even though it appears as if their struggles lack importance, they are still participating in the fulfillment of Divine Will. Work diligently, as if your daily work was given to you by GOD, for He has said:

“And I am the Lord GOD without peer, and My works are the holy works, and My labor is the virtuous labor, and all the strength of the Virtue shall serve the righteous laborer.” (Virtue 4:9)

Thus, only through continuous work can we reach Virtue.

w45h6iEA2vkPh32SQpFJ5TH8Zv7aRc36tkHmuzSmyjlc_xMME8uxKN57xOJfBTv9uNPagX6sbRLwZC8vTG7lmUeJ84HlgQV0gCdQkb5IveEUVjwJ5aqeK-wXD4nRf72-lxOOo1pD

Depiction of the northern Canonist men and women going about their daily work.

Thus have we clarified the importance of diligence, that as long as work is not done against the holy, it is good work, and the laborer is filled with Virtue. 

What then happens with ambition? I argue that it is the same case. Ambition, in itself, fuels hard work and diligence, but of course, much like the work itself, it can be wretched and serve against the plan of our Creator. 

The ambition of a good Pontiff to bring together his flock with GOD is a holy ambition, as the ambition of the King to lead his people righteously is a good one. However, the ambition of the treacherous and the schemer to dethrone the good King or the good Pontiff is a sin, for it works against what is good and holy. Thus, do I strongly believe that ambition in itself is not a sin, but the intentions that it fuels are. On the contrary, I argue that ambition in itself is a virtue, for it fuels diligence and functions with it. The wretched goals and intentions that ambition and diligence fuel then, are truly the sin.

How then, do we know that our ambition follows the Divine Will? The same way that Exalted Owyn did, through prayer:

“Now he was overcome with faith and knelt in prayer, and wept for the fate of his kindred. At once the darkness was cast out by a sword ablaze, and there GOD spoke to Owyn.” (Gospel 4:20-21)

Only when he prayed was Exalted Owyn given his task by GOD to save the flock, even though his desire, his ambition to help his kindred, as shown by his weeping for their fate, rested in him before GOD spoke to him.

So I say, o faithful, o hard-working flock of GOD, keep your ambition, but cultivate it with the word and will of our Father that is in the skies. Shy you not from the good struggle, instead let the fire in your heart fuel you, and bring you closer to GOD through diligence. Do, however, be careful, and look inside your heart, so that you do not let wretched intentions against the holy and the good sully your ambition and your struggle. Pray with diligence, and work with ambition.

Upkv5-FykbVE8UT_dYZ8hFtgfOT4GfyWAD_aT4VUJG7lZk9OuCvWqBiaaXuWUjzdw7vsRyr0Y3xbejfxwI8b4aRcgujT5ugk90kaUyNJu5ZnJOoryXjruZ1S4tAiS3Ry9bw7zKqJ

Depiction of a priest diligently teaching the youth of GOD

oiFq0Juh7a6-Cai4fLzjftklRX6-Hel9zO_FGvqNTPQmH7thRkC2RS2xg2eAhMvUyqUDZWW_wAiPs3Uzgs2gUd6Gh0fLb4G1raTPRXBQHEq-qHNBMhWBcN1BYhQjwYHMGP5mideZ

With love in GOD,
Novice Ernst

Karl wonders whether or not the writing of theses was becoming a habit

3 minutes ago, Ramon said:

Karl wonders whether or not the writing of theses was becoming a habit

Ernst starts writing again...

To the devout Brother Ernst, @GoodGuyMatt

Your writings show a great comprehension of ambition and diligence. I am glad to approve this Thesis. Please find myself or another Clergyperson of some authority to be ordained, and begin your journey in our Holy Mother Church.

GOD bless,

Francis Cardinal Albarosa

-Al2y_tes4m2-mW7CyHL_dlr7cT68WvaMEuV9mUEvqyNueWUCFHrxTXLV1j13_xjc0IbduFLJ3nDBccqavXb6Qr9Ax1LMTajWu6AgRwcMQ7lcgmU7otuXk5srylSBDdKblfA37E9

•