Surveying Albarosa

Balthasar

Spoiler

PEACE AND BLESSINGS

SURVEYING ALBAROSA

16th of Horen’s Calling, 1864

8-TvOf8EG1O33Zq1plnHG9rLTJ9bG_HY21BRuJg_s1dlyyxTkroTtiJ0Q9h_9MwzfG0kD-DW4nA37tKOYixukyAMljUIKdQHXOJX9Fss9MQQDuzj51PzOwW1UiNoS_pA1XHCo-cT

By dictation of His Eminence, Cardinal Adrian de Sarkozy

Scribed by Brothers Jan Pieter Schanserd & Hugo Neri

PREFACE

Upon replacing the former Cardinal Francis, God bless his soul. His Holiness, the High Pontiff saw fit to entrust young me, with the task of surveying the archdiocese of Albarosa. Specifically to note the Virtuous presence, in the Archdiocese. I intended to send this report to the Curia, for them to see only, but after deliberation, I have decided to release this report for all to see. Come join me on a tour of the borders of the Orenian Empire!

RIVIA

My compatriots and I left New Providence. Immediately after crossing the bridge away from the Capital, we took a right, heading west. We travelled on horseback on the Imperial Highway, which was paved in stone and maintained here and there with patches of gravel. We passed by a few ranches and finally crossed another bridge. Taking a right again we would enter the domain of house Antler. The Antlers have a sizeable estate to their name. The Brascan bridge lies by the estate, leading travellers north back to the Capital.

Finally arriving in the Viscounty. We encountered a large fortress, nestled upon a hill. We were denied entry, however, the hamlet below was not. In the village three houses with long towers flanking the hamlet from all around, no chapel or shrine exists in the village. Having been denied entry to the castle I cannot comment further on it. After sending a letter to the Viscount, I received a well-written letter in response from his son. My mind has since been put at ease, I hope I have put theirs to some ease as well, in my reply where I answered his questions.

REDENFORD

Returning to the Imperial highway, we left Rivia behind us and passed Darkwood manor, which belongs to house Darkwood, the manor itself is a reminder of the colonial style from the reign of Philip II and prior. Going past the manor we encountered fields of wheat belonging to the massive Cheval Hall. The castle itself belongs to the ducal house Helvets. From past proclamations, I believe both Darkwood and Helvets have personal shrines within their estates. If they have been torn down or not, I cannot be certain. Letters have been dispatched to both houses, I have received nothing in reply.

Upon arriving at Redenford, we found a city flattened to the ground and replaced with carriages and horses. Only the city hall and scattered estates remain, which were sold by the city, they are most likely abandoned. I have no ledgers, but I cannot imagine the common man would live in such conditions. All records indicate that Redenford exists and thrives, but alas physical proof says otherwise.

ALDERSBERG

I had dismissed my retinue in Redenford, I would make the last visits alone. I arrived late in Aldersberg. There I was greeted by the Count Edward and his betrothed wife Anna of Sunholdt. They gave me a tour around their home and showed me their shrine to Saint Tobias. After the tour, I was given a good meal and we had a brief talk about the future of the Church in Oren. A good and virtuous man and woman.

OLD SEDAN

After my dinner with the good people of Aldersberg, I decided to go further west, alone. I passed by the Asor estate, intending to visit, only something else on the opposite site piqued my interest. Pillars of stone, tipped with fire rose from the mountain, I climbed the mountain only to find myself at the Temple of Khamer’Parbat. Had it not been for the man beneath the temple explaining his theories that Owyn was a samurai (I do not know what a samurai is), and that Saint Julia was a dark elf, I concluded that this temple was one belonging to the Owynists. They have their odd scriptural differences, but they are good, virtuous men. I must confess, I would have damned the temple as heretical, were it not for the good preacher below. I returned to the surface and rested until dawn and returned to the Arentanian highway. Encountering a crossroads. I went south towards old Sedan. 

The ruins of Sedan were still there untouched. Opposite the ruins, a palisade had been erected. A sign named it Guardian’s Rest. With no other soul present and the gates wide open, I entered. Grazing animals roamed inside, tents and wooden shelters were sparse and two things piqued my interest. A white working table with runes inscribed upon them. Towards the end of the fort, stands a long obelisk, flanked by other floating obelisks. It can only be sorcery. Even as I write this there was a sense of calm about it. I will have to return with more learned clergymen.

HALSTAIG

Satisfied with my investigations in the fortress and Sedan, I retraced my steps back to the crossroads and began on my journey to Halstaig. The lands before entering the Grenz are flat and excellent for grazing. I am surprised no village or outpost has been raised in the area.

When I encountered the county I was met by a sign, welcoming me to the estate. I knocked and shouted, to see if any were at the estate, it appears most estates are empty this time of year. The estate itself is reminiscent of the colonial-style, white stones are the majority, but yellow and green stones were laid all around the centre of the estate as if it were a protective border. I’ve sent a letter to the Countess, but again I have received nothing back.

NEW ESBEC

I had planned to skip Esbec, as it is no longer a town. I had heard rumours of it being cleared and being built anew by the Mercatorii. I visited when I first heard of these rumours years ago, only to find they were true, the Mercatorii were indeed clearing and rebuilding it. But as I entered Esbec from its rear, it seemed abandoned again. Dead animals had been slaughtered and old signs warning the random visitor of work being performed. Two gatehouses had been built and a few houses on the outskirts of town, but construction has halted. No one has been in Esbec for some time.

ARICHSDORF

I dared not show my Canonist face in the city that has essentially replaced Esbec. Their people are good and hard workers, even if misguided in faith. Their lord, Baron Manfred is no friend of Canonism and he wears that badge with pride. He has threatened and harmed clergymen from both sides of the war. 

Forgive me for this diversion, but when I was an acolyte and travelling between Karosgrad for my clerical studies and to Providence to visit my family. It was outside Providence I first encountered the Baron. He saw my vestments and raised his loaded crossbow at me, a thirteen-year-old boy, at the time. He demanded to know if I were of Haense or Oren. I told him the truth and he released me. I have no doubt he would have killed me if I were from Haense. It is not right for men and women of faith to fear for their lives like that. I believe clergy to be ‘above’ nationalities, clergy are persons of faith, not warriors or spies for the enemy!

DOBROV

After visiting Arichsdorf, I ventured towards Dobrov. On the road to Dobrov, I encountered a monastery. I neither saw nor met any people. The monastery is not one belonging to the Mother Church, we have no information about it. The doors were unlocked, which is excellent news. It permits pilgrims and travellers to rest and pray. The monastery is square, with an opening in the centre, allowing a large tree to grow there. A strange building as there were no sleeping quarters, no place to eat or prepare food. Outside there were trapdoors, which can only lead underground. Content with my findings I continued onwards. I intend to return another time with more clergy, so together we might discover the truth.

My horse began to tire and I decided to go speak with the owners of the Gendik-Komnenos farmhouse, to allow my horse to drink and rest. What I found was horrible. The house was burned to the ground, at first I thought raiders from Haense had committed this act, how wrong I was. I would dig no further, were it only that! At the entrance to the house was a pentacle drawn in blood and brimstone. The blood was not human, it stank of evil. This most of all I must return to another time.

Finally nearing Dobrov. I encountered an acquaintance on the road, warning me of the place, he jested to me that Dobrov was nothing but a crater. I initially agreed, but when I arrived in Dobrov I was proven pleasantly wrong. The crater which eradicated the beautiful Ostromir fortress had healed well. A lake had formed, trees had grown and the fauna thrived with life. Again to my surprise I even met living Descendant beings! I greeted them but moved along as their conversation was rather tense.

I am glad that the condition of Dobrov has improved, but there is still something bothering me about the region, it’s as if there’s something at the corner of my eye, but when I turn there is nothing to be seen.

I have penned Count Fyodor a letter. My letter remains unanswered.

Dear reader, it appears you have read through my public report to the Curia. The goal of this public report is so the Empire may see firsthand that the Church of the Canon has not abandoned Oren. The clergy in Oren are proud of their Imperial heritage and we all truly want to improve relations. It is like the Viscount Rivia’s son said to me, “The reign of Everard VI has left a rotten taste in the Orenian mouths”. I agree with his statement. But Everard VI has passed to the Seven Skies and Tylos II has assumed the Holy Office. The Mother Church holds no enmity towards Oren any longer.

To conclude, I believe I misunderstood the state of the Canon in Oren. The common man and noble have no qualms with the Church and seem to be glad to have new clergy, together we can change the state of the faith and begin our repairs. Forgiveness and honesty is the way.

God bless Oren

Edwin picks up the scroll, reading it through. "Amen." He says thereafter, before returning to his camp's duties

Sir Rev Vuiller, the Viscount of Vuillermoz cries over not being visited but dips his head either way reading it carefully over.

"Oh! I am glad we were able to make a good impression. Seem we are the only ones." Muttered The Count of Aldersberg as he glanced over the missive, a short smile resting upon his visage.

1 hour ago, Harald said:

Sir Rev Vuiller, the Viscount of Vuillermoz cries over not being visited but dips his head either way reading it carefully over.

Cardinal Adrian was confident that Vuillermoz was adherent to the scripture. However the Cardinal would be thrilled to visit the Viscounty