8 (ish) Year AMA

SmartScout

Hello, don't post often, but I've been thinking of doing one of these since I've been around for a while. I joined during Athera, starting with a character in the Order of St. Amyas before moving over to the elves, where I have a character, Elros Silma, who I've played from around January 1st 2015 until today, playing in the Republic of Laurehlin, the Dominion, Aegrothond, Fenn, and various other places. I've also played a few other characters on and off over the years. Two Dwarves - Hurin Grandaxe and Fjorvair Emberhorn, and an Adunian - Rohir Vaueryn - being the main ones. I've been around the server, quit a few times, come back, seen a lot of stuff, and grew up with a character from being in around 8th grade to being a college senior. I've written some lore, led some stuff, played in various places, and overall, while the server can sometimes suck, have had a generally good time using it as a creative outlet. So, I was curious what people may have to ask, so I figured I'd make one of these.

Your bio says you enjoy reading. What books would you recommend?

Have you considered the name IntelligentVanguard?

On 10/8/2022 at 11:43 PM, Spindle said:

Your bio says you enjoy reading. What books would you recommend?

I haven't read as much recently as I did in high school, but I can go through some recommendations and favorites. From back when I started the server, I was reading stuff like Lord of the Rings, Percy Jackson, Kain Chronicles, Harry Potter, and various other fantasy and young adult novels, along with some sci-fi like Jurrassic Park, and a lot of classics for school (ancient Greek and Roman myths, Pride and Prejudice, A Tale of Two Cities, etc). Now, more recently, I've been reading Dune, have gotten through the first 3, parts of the Dark Tower by Stephen King, Foundation, Crystal Warriors, First King of Shannarra, and various other Sci-Fi and Fantasy books. I plan to start reading Game of Thrones eventually, along with some other books I've gotten. Overall, it depends on what you like. But reading and drawing ideas from different books and movies and games is definitely a good way to get inspiration for writing lore for the server.

On 10/9/2022 at 1:34 AM, Pyrite said:

Have you considered the name IntelligentVanguard?

I know this is a joke, and no. SmartScout was something that came from my old boy scout days, and I used it back in high school, and I'm not one to change usernames much. My more recent alt, InfiniteMalloc, however, got its name from a programming joke, since I am studying for computer science. It is a reference to crashing your PC by accidentally telling C to allocate an infinite amount of RAM for a program.

On 10/9/2022 at 2:38 AM, satinkira said:

What was your favourite/most nostalgic map?

So, this is a hard one. Favorite is probably Atlas. Had a lot of good RP for me (Dominion, joining the Silma, helping found Aegrothond, etc), and it is probably my favorite map that I played on objectively in terms terrain, layout, size, and the like (including maps I didn't play on and have just looked back to in museum, it and Anthos are probably my favorites, followed by Arcas then Athera.)

In terms of nostalgia, probably Athera. I had just found out about the rich world of LOTC, I hadn't gotten jaded by being an old player, and I still look back fondly at training as a human crusader knight, fighting in a 7 vs 7 (or so) CRP battle of elven warriors against cultists and necromancers,  killing liches with aurum arrows, and fighting against Haelunor alongside dwarves for freedom. The RP back then was great, and kept me coming back to the server for the next 8 years, though high school and college, so it is probably the most nostolgic, followed by Atlas.

Vailor holds a bit of nostolgia, I remember listening to Metallica and Megadeth while guarding the gates of Laurehlin, and joining the dwarves for a while and fighting in my first warclaim. But overall, the map design of Vailor and Axios wasn't my favorite, so I didn't explore and connect with those maps quite as much.

Edited by SmartScout