Petyr: Faith

Crevel

Spoiler

“And as I have created for you the struggles of the world, so too do I create the struggles of the spirit. And as I have created the struggles of the world and the spirit, so too do I bring their remedies. For I have given you the pains of the world, and I have given you their cure. And you shall know the trials of this theater of virtue, and know that they shall strengthen you.”

Virtue 5:5-8

As Petyr walks the streets of Karosgrad on his lonesome, a vivid echo of hymns echoes from the entrance to the great Basilica of St. Henrik catching Petyr's attention. Drawn to it like a moth to a lantern, he enters the Basilica to a troupe of Ruskan Monastics chanting in Raevir that a trained ear would recognise as hymns that include verses from the Bogdani Scrolls. 

Placing himself on one of the pews, he takes in the scenery while the monastics and clergy perform their daily sacraments. Blinking, Petyr allows a tear to trickle down his face in silence. After a moment, a priest approaches him from the side before placing a hand on his shoulder. He begins to speak, "My son, would you like to make Confession?” Petyr pauses a moment before nodding.

-Ebc5sZUqxZWQEtGSOrOAyxHxo8tvTNaZ3Vjl48A5UQnA52XqHFoPUxHd-s_5feOrltuaaMlodpU7isRsOfD9GEZArRcgz7d6ccAzNIroI7IWPlb5932DByU8ubQo1L8bjMdONeGLX5DYMymTnQzzzud0tN8xibPkS1-eS6XH6t2R92ELXuTSOo6gw

“In the name of the Father, and of Horen, and of all the Exalted.” the priest speaks from within the confessional. “Is this your first time making Confession?”

“Da. This is the first.” Petyr nods.

“How have you sinned?”

“A few weeks ago.. a close friend of mine was killed. I left her alone when I should not have, and she was killed…” 

“How was she killed?”

“I left to get a flower for her.. I left her on the road for only a few seconds. Two horses ran over her on the road.” Petyr sniffs, before heavily exhaling, “I am full of hate, Father. Hate for myself. Hate for those that did this to her. Juliya did not deserve that.”

The priest hums, “You know, we can never fully understand the Lord’s plan for us. Even the Exalted were never certain of His plan. However, the Holy Scrolls do help us to understand how the Lord works in our lives. He tells us that He breathes life into all of us, He tells us that He has brought us comfort and love, but he also tells us that He brings us struggle and pain. We see in the Gospel that even the Exalted, including Horen, went through struggles of their own which tested their moral fortitude and their resolve. The Lord never gives these struggles to us out of spite or hate... these struggles are trials - opportunities to overcome our adversities virtuously and become closer to Him so that we may come to love Him as He loves us. While you go through your own struggle, those others will face their own struggles from their mistakes where they will find strength from God.. just as you will.”

“-and Juliya?”

“Juliya has played her part in God’s plan. She would be gathered among the other virtuous in the Seven Skies now. She will have no more struggle and no more pain. Juliya is close to the Lord now. You need not worry for her anymore. Do you understand?”

Da.. what should I do, Father?”

“You should learn to forgive, and love those who may have hurt you. The potential for virtue and salvation is in all of us, especially in those who have done wrong. After supper during your evening prayers, take a moment to pray for others and pray that they overcome their tribulations with God’s help. I think that will suffice.”

“Spasiba, Father.”

The priest then formally ends the confession, “God, the Father of mercy, hath, through the authority of the Prophets, instituted a sacred priesthood for the administration of the Sacraments and for the remission of sins. In union with the Exalted, Saints and Angels in the Skies, and all the faithful departed, and on the authority of said priesthood, I do absolve thee from thy sins in the name of the Father, and of Horen, and of all the Exalted. Thy sins are all forgiven.”

As the two left the confessional, Petyr would feel more whole and at ease despite the confession being rather short. Staying in the Basilica a little longer, he would soon make his way home.

tMpv-72moHzGy4oa1KyUv4QL6NP7bQ22888FwOljPxku9pfn0jD_kUvQSKUL2EQ2v0zcEXtbVdmDink_qQ4rB2sWZ_KDMjB5OJcsh28s7-okJ5ez3PjoMxscX7U4F17QMx7IH-f0oqrXZg6RAK-p4cYMmAwLtUyeIL6jXnH91Q3bQVQsOP4MIwGXCA

Spoiler

This post is the third in the series regarding Petyr's backstory. This post is intended to put a little more emphasis to Petyr's faith, how he views himself, and the tribulations that he internally faces as he comes to terms with the harsher aspects of life. All art used in these posts are generated and sourced from an AI-generation website by the name of mage.space, and used for the purpose of storytelling. For any Church players interested, I took a portion of the confession template from a post that Totus made. I recommend checking out his other posts regarding Canonism, because he was a fantastic Church roleplayer with numerous amazing forum posts under his belt.

First Post: 

Second Post: 

Third Post: You are already reading it!

Fourth Post: