The Legend of the Werehare, Part 1

The Legend of the Werehare

the_black_rabbit_of_inle_by_suviridian_d

(art by suviridian at deviantart) 

by Breasal Nimblefoot 

Chapter 1 

The Beast Lurks 

Once upon a time, long ago in the days of yore, there was a humble village of Halflings called Flowerburgh. There, the Halflings lived their lives peacefully in their close-knit community, isolated from the rest of the world. There were many great families that had influence over the village, these were the Bronzeberries, Strongbrands, Littlehills, Riverfeet and the Flinthills. Every great family had their specialty within the village. The Bronzeberries were notable for their crafts, be it woodcarving  or metalsmithing, while the Littlehills were significant farmers and herbalists. The Riverfeet were known fishermen and merchants, in contrast to the Strongbrands who were excellent hunters and had many members in the Shirewatch. Last, but certainly not least, were the Flinthills; the greatest family of the village were many of their ancestors held the position of Thain. 

Here we find a notable lad called Liam Flinthill, somewhat short in stature for a Halfling with blonde hair and a clean-shaved face, he is the troublemaker of his family. Not wanting to partake in the village’s politics, he seeks for a peaceful life working in the fields and messing around in the tavern. As Liam finishes his breakfast and packs his lunch, on his way to the fields he is joined by Gardenia Littlehill, a fine lass of fair and red complexion. “Good mornin’ Liam, how’s that noggin of yars afta’ last nigh’? Ya drank like there was nae tomorrow” she cheerfully asked. “I’m fine Gar, I slept like a log when I got tae my burrow. Are ya ready for today’s field work?” he replied with a smile on his face. “Sure am! I hope Dill comes tae help us since he said he’s skippin’ huntin’ today” she exclaimed hopping along the way. 

As the two made their way to the fields, there they were greeted by Iris Littlehill. “Mornin’ folks, ready tae join us removin’ the weeds?” she asked the pair. As the two hummed in agreement, Dill Strongbrand arrived quickly in the scene “Ah... ah... ah... sorry for bein’ late” he said out of breath. “Ah... gimme a momen’... oof aight I’m ‘ere for the harvest” he said as he gathered his energy. “We’re nae doin’ any harvestin’ today silly, that’s for tomorrow, today we’re removin’ weeds!” Gardenia explained to him. After the trio took their sickles from the field equipment shed, they joined Iris and the rest of the farmers. 

As the hours passed the farmers removed the weeds from the crops and soil, by the afternoon they were all finished and tired from a hard day’s work. “So, are ya goin’ tae the tavern again Liam?” Gardenia asked as Liam was a quite known drinker. “Nae, I’ll pass this time, I’m goin’ tae my burrow tae sleep an’ wash myself. I’ll stay a’ home tonight.” Liam answered as he was spend from all the field work. Soon the trio had made their ways to their burrows, Gardenia and Dill went to the tavern later on, whilst Liam did exactly as he said. Spending the night reading a book by the fireplace. 

As Liam was reading the grandfather clock struck thrice, half-alseep he opened his eyes to see what was that noise he heard. “Huh wha- oh it’s just the clock” he said to himself as he got up from the club chair “Lord it’s midnight already? Welp, guess it’s time for bed then” he exclaimed with a yawn at the end. As he was getting ready to head downstairs, a red flash caught the corner of his eye. He stopped and looked at the window, where a small shining red dot was visible. Slowly approaching the window with caution he got closer and closer, to the point where his face was but a few inches away from touching the glass. There in the dark, the dot was still visible and as Liam gazed at it from afar, an outline from the dot was beginning to appear; that of a large humanoid creature. It’s head suddenly moved, and the creature was gazing back at Liam with its shining red eyes. 

Liam felt a life-threatening fear building up, and when he took a step back the creature ran swiftly into the darkness. Shocked by what he saw, he went to his bathroom to wash his face. After some time, Liam came to the conclusion that his mind was playing tricks or that it was some kind of prank. There, lying on his bed Liam fell asleep after ten minutes had passed. He dreamt of open grasslands, as far as the eye could see, then suddenly the sky turned black and the smell of ash and death reeked. Liam sprang up from his bed “Huh!? Oh, ‘twas just a nightmare” he said to himself after calming down. As Liam was making his way to the fields for the harvest, he saw almost the entire village gathered, shocked by something. When Liam climbed a nearby boulder he saw why the people were shocked; all of the fields were barren, every crop was either missing or half-eaten.

Edited by Le_Psit