A LETTER TO MARKUS SARKOZIC

Ramon

TO THE ALSTION PRETENDER,

KING OF AAUN (HUMILIATED BY ADRIA),

DUKE OF VIENNE (CONQUERED BY ADRIA),

COUNT OF WHITESPIRE (RAIDED WITH IMPUNITY BY ADRIANS),

ET CETERA, ET CETERA, REPRESENTATIVE OF THE RABBLE OF ORENIAN RUMP STATES:

Heed that we, the Adrian people, know the true purpose of your overtures, and know your true nature. You are a lamprey, fetid spawn of the lowest brackish pond, whose sucking mouthparts cling with vain hope and desperate ardor to the Hanseatic ox. Your substance is Canonist blood. Your edicts have no power, and your pathetic gyrations do not warrant the notice of my proud nephew. I treat with you now:

Heed that our people have not seen the passage of one generation since your Court plotted to murder my brother, the Duke's father, and install a Montelliano traitor in violation of our laws and traditions. In defense of this pathetic and fruitless plot, your armies arrived in our city and were slaughtered. Your armies fought us on the fields outside Minitz, and were slaughtered. Your armies fought to defend the walls of their forlorn, rat-infested capital, and there, too, they were slaughtered.

Be it that the turning of fortune's wheel sees you in Whitespire and us in a camp - if your last hope is to beg us for aid, your days will not be long. This rebellion may fail, but so will you. Your fickle, grasping assortment of self-styled knights and minor lordlings will desert you. Your covenanters will turn against you in jealous anger to seize the barren crofts and despoiled villages of the Midlands for themselves. And you, worm, will return to where you belong.

If you would like to avert this fate, you have one course of action. Cede the lands to the west and north of Whitespire and accept our claim as the House of Sarkozic to the Kingdom of Oren. We will treat you as vassals more kindly than your predecessors treated us, and you will be at liberty to rule your irrelevant state as you see fit. Pay us homage, and we will forgive the many crimes you have committed against our people.

Until then, writhe.

Pavel Sarkozic