To Build A Home

[!] A neatly bound thesis is found within the library of the Brotherhood of Virtue, a sigil stamped into the leather cover.

D5tXGsH_5qBO_5VtJMT8-kQD7t95INjSYe8yX30dl4qH2CrVT5HnojrirxeXJPFDXHBXLHcpvykkdgkdkDob_xpRUChZrM7mzg-_0H8MSuMmoT7MfbbKZEi1Xt2B1uajFlZQsKLgyxrfK2LuoyAMsw

To Build A Home

I’ve known since I was a young girl, recently recovered from the kidnapping and mutilation done by my mother, that I wished to walk the Sunlit Path; to follow after my father and the brothers who helped raise me. At such an age, I knew little of what being a Brother of Virtue entailed, and less of what it meant to be a Knight of the Sunlit Lord. Even as I began my trials as an initiate, and past my connection, I struggled to find what it truly meant to be a paladin - what separates us from the brave soldiers of this world other than the gifts given to us? I thought that I had the answer, though confusion caused me to doubt as I looked at the contradicting teachings of our two Keepers at the time. I could not tell who was more right. I journeyed to our most holy site to pray for an answer, hoping our Lord might grant me clarity of mind. What I received was most unexpected, but in the light of that blazing dawn, I found what I was looking for.

“What makes a good paladin?” I asked, but instead found that question turned back upon me. I answered as follows:

“A good paladin is righteous and courageous, capable of being both ruthless and merciful when needed. A good paladin is clever and strong, ready to either lead a charge or strike from the shadows. However, what ultimately makes us good is our willingness and readiness to die - To sacrifice everything, even our lives for the cause.”

I was met with an apology, and a gentle correction. 

“You, learn young. Hearing tales of heroes who live and die saving the kingdom. That we should learn to love like them, and do better like them. To be like them. But it is not dying which made them heroes. Nor is it dying that we should focus upon. But that act of selflessness, and love, is one among many. To die is to end your service, that love. These traits, that state of being, are not traits inherent to all. Perhaps to some. But think of it like this.

I have seen men who are born, grow up, and die in one home. It is a good home, and maybe they expand upon it. A garden, a hall, a new well. They have things prepared for them, and one of their greatest needs met. But there are men who spawn from nothing, too. The temptations of darkness and power so easily gained beckon them, yet they refuse. They, despite all odds, despite every setback, continue to push forward to build their home stone by stone. It may fall once, twice, three times - but they never surrender until their work is done or they die trying.

Tell me. Which makes for the better man? The better story? They both have homes, in some way. But who earned it? Who would you say is a good man, despite them both achieving the same thing? What makes them memorable?”

I pondered the question for a few minutes, but in truth, the answer came quickly. “I don’t think one is necessarily better than the other, nor do I believe one is more deserving. While one certainly had to work harder to have what the other was given, I don’t think that makes him better than him. I think what makes them memorable is what they do with such a home - If they fill it with love and compassion. Both men are capable of good the same, regardless of being afforded fortune or no.”

I was met with the following response.

“Then no paladin is truly greater than one another. Become that person you wish to be. A heroine, an angel, a lifesaver, even one of the most devout. Build the stones of your home, and fill it with love and compassion.”

I’ve pondered these words for decades, carrying out my duties and building my home as decreed. Stone by stone I have laid, but I would be a liar if I said there were not times when I doubted those words of wisdom. As a Wyrmstalker, I am filled with my Lord’s wrath: his rage and merciless towards the darkspawn of this realm. How could love and compassion make me a good paladin, when the lightning in my veins dictates otherwise? It wasn’t until our greatest ally’s true form was revealed, that his words finally started to sink in and make sense. He had to struggle to build his home, temptation constantly knocking at his door, and yet, he did not give in. He is the kind I am most sworn to kill, and yet also a beacon and messenger of our Lord. We represent the two men of his analogy, in comparison to his struggle, my home came easy. And yet, I stand by my original answer. It matters not what he is made of, where he came from or how he has struggled. It matters what he has done in his life, what he has done with his home. 

To be a good paladin to become the person you wish to be; To build your home stone by stone, and to fill it with love and compassion.

Signed, Isabel Amaranta Falcone van Wick

The Attached

Spoiler

This document can only be found and read within the library of the Brotherhood of Virtue.