The weight of a Ban

Zakajaervi

As a moderator for several other servers, I can confidently in some situations as being permanently banned for something you have said years ago is a little pathetic and quite a waste of time. There are some people who want peace and some people who want to cause drama, and doing what is mentioned above will only further cause drama. 

As a moderator, you should not be taking things personally and ban people you don't like just because you don't like them, if that is the case then I implore to withdraw from moderation and learn more about the craft than simply trying to learn on the fly. You are required to remain indifferent and impersonal as a moderator and only permanently banning people for serious offenses. Miniscule offenses that goes against the rules may be punishable by temporary bans and an a full explanation as to why the ban was issued. There is no use banning someone without informing them know what they have been banned for.

My suggestion would be a warning system. Very much like how the Forums have a warning system, however why has it not carried over to the server itself? A simple three strikes and you're out type of deal should work. I mean, the entire world uses that system to warn people to improve their behavior or they are out, no? Now, because most of LOTC's player base is of the younger folk, ages are required to be known to know how each individual should be approaching conversations and not to accidentally say anything out of turn or outright nasty that will result in warnings or in some cases a ban. The young ones on the server tend to take some things in game and out of character a little too personal and adults that have been playing since they were younger, have already learned to separate their feelings from in game content, think it may be "lame" for something as that to happen, and in some cases it reverts to bullying rather than coaching on how to differentiate between real life feelings and in game content.

I'VE SAID MY PIECE, IMMA GO TO BED NOW!!!

I have to agree with some of the above about noticing people getting bans/warnings due to a bias. When I received my warning a few months back(my first) I wasn't even really told what I was getting punished for. Personally I was made out to be some toxic person who likes to cause trouble, when in reality the moment I notice an ooc bias I make the decision to avoid that player or mod because I am here to enjoy roleplay. I have known a number of people in my years on LOTC who some of the least problematic users on were probably the server and were banned solely on the word of players who were more in clique with the staff members. 

This is probably part of the reason my activity had dropped a bit in recent months. I reached out to a staff member to have a conversation on whether a messed-up situation was against the rules. They agreed with me and pushed me to make a report just to immediately get told a little later that they were ashamed of me for my behavior, and they were going to issue me a warning without going into detail on what they thought I had done. I had even asked politely.

There are many things so much more important in life than a Minecraft roleplay server. But when you have a platform where you get to enjoy the rp niche and some of the amazing people, it's very saddening to know that just because another play has an issue with you, they can use their say over staff friends. 

I want to quote something from our Player Conduct Policy when it comes to the permanent bans administration issues:

Lord of the Craft is not the place for your redemption arc. Whilst a permanently banned player may verbalize or display a change in character, they are not entitled to an unban or reconciliation with the playerbase.

We're all here to have fun, and when someone's presence on the server is consistently taking from this, what do we gain by giving them a platform to degrade the experience for everyone?

I also want to stress that we don't issue these bans lightly, unless someone has dome something genuinely terrible, or has a very extensive history, I almost always will advocate to give them another chance.

53 minutes ago, Llir said:

I want to quote something from our Player Conduct Policy when it comes to the permanent bans administration issues:

We're all here to have fun, and when someone's presence on the server is consistently taking from this, what do we gain by giving them a platform to degrade the experience for everyone?

I also want to stress that we don't issue these bans lightly, unless someone has dome something genuinely terrible, or has a very extensive history, I almost always will advocate to give them another chance.

Thank you Llir for the perspective. I'm not going to totally disagree nor oppose the player conduct, though there is an undeniable problem if you will take a look at the amount of people who share my view. Perhaps there are more who realize this problem and is not responding. I'm gonna be that guy to say that your perspective from the administration varies from ours. 

No, this is not some place to write a whole redemption story to get unbanned and such I don't complain about. I don't want LOTC to be stupid, I want it to be fair. We want it to be fair. Does the debate, and it's comments, not broadcast a problem to you? I did not make this post because I was upset one of my friends got banned, I am upset that it was unfair and that the server has seen it before many times.

It can suck for a player who has enjoyed and participated in what I would not just call a "minecraft server" but a community of friends, characters, stories and progress to be banned over a joke made three years ago. Can we find common ground in that? 

On 3/20/2024 at 11:16 AM, SapphirePool said:

lotc is not some need, necessity, giver of meaning. It is a roleplay minecraft server.

exactly