[Animatii Amendment] Combat Pets Durability Patch

PURPOSE:

Unfortunately the lore only states how to destroy a combat pet using only blunt strikes, yet completely ignoring things such as armor-piercing attacks, boomsteel attacks using a sharp weapon, or merely harsh strikes with any sharp weaponry, capable of inflicting enough kinetic force regardless. This aims to provide a clear way of handling these creatures without any confusion or thoughts of them being completely immune to anything (i.e sliced in half by carbarum) unless they're slapped twice by a hammer.

OLD LORE:

Servants & Pets

Hide contents

Commonplace within workshops and the homes of those affluent in the clockwork artifice of Animatii are servants, drones, and clockwork critters which serve a variety of different purposes, defined in the 2nd to 4th tiers of Automata. In the case of critters, able to be made around the size of a Golden Retriever at the largest, they may take a freeform design of one’s choosing within reason, such as spiders which help weave clothing, messenger birds, companions such as rats, or metallic dogs to help carry objects about. Tier 3 Pets abide by all of LoTC’s rules on pets in combat, should they be used for such, and should their vessels or tubing be cut they would bleed out within [5] emotes, with their limbs and components able to be destroyed in [2] blunt strikes. Animatii mounts such as horses are also included in this tier, their components requiring [3] blunt strikes to destroy and [8] emotes to bleed out, and may only be used in any way which a mundane horse would be allowed to in combat. 

NPC servants, such as humanoid automatons or sapient work benches, are entirely benign and non-combative in nature. They may be used as butlers to make or ferry food around one’s home, NPC crew on a naval ship, and other similarly flavorful purposes. 

- Both Servants & Pets are unable to transfer information between owners, or be used to metagame whatsoever.

- Tier 3 Animii companions follow all rules for pets in combat, and may not exceed the size of a Golden Retriever. They are relatively fragile, owing to their smaller size and more primitive minds, and will otherwise act much as a mundane critter would. 

- One cannot use many multiples of a pet or mount to accomplish a feat that would require Smoggers to perform, such as moving a colossal house with a horde of Animatii buffalo. 

NEW LORE:

Servants & Pets

Hide contents

Commonplace within workshops and the homes of those affluent in the clockwork artifice of Animatii are servants, drones, and clockwork critters which serve a variety of different purposes, defined in the 2nd to 4th tiers of Automata. In the case of critters, able to be made around the size of a Golden Retriever at the largest, they may take a freeform design of one’s choosing within reason, such as spiders which help weave clothing, messenger birds, companions such as rats, or metallic dogs to help carry objects about. Tier 3 Pets abide by all of LoTC’s rules on pets in combat, should they be used for such, and should their vessels or tubing be cut they would bleed out within [5] emotes, with their limbs and components able to be destroyed in [2] blunt strikes, or [4] harsh slashing strikes. Animatii mounts such as horses are also included in this tier, their components requiring [3] blunt strikes to destroy, or [6] harsh slashing strikes, and [5] emotes to bleed out, and may only be used in any way which a mundane horse would be allowed to in combat. 

NPC servants, such as humanoid automatons or sapient work benches, are entirely benign and non-combative in nature. They may be used as butlers to make or ferry food around one’s home, NPC crew on a naval ship, and other similarly flavorful purposes. 

- Both Servants & Pets are unable to transfer information between owners, or be used to metagame whatsoever.

- Tier 3 Animii companions follow all rules for pets in combat, and may not exceed the size of a Golden Retriever. They are relatively fragile, owing to their smaller size and more primitive minds, and will otherwise act much as a mundane critter would. 

- One cannot use many multiples of a pet or mount to accomplish a feat that would require Smoggers to perform, such as moving a colossal house with a horde of Animatii buffalo.
-Piercing attacks capable of penetrating armor, such as a crossbow bolt, count as [2] slashing strikes.

-Every [2] slashing strikes is to be considered the equivalent of [1] blunt strike. Meaning one may destroy a combat pet's limb by harshly striking it twice with a greatsword, and once with a hammer.

-The destruction of the pet's head prior to its bleeding out results in its loss of intelligence, awareness and combat capability, due to its loss of intelligence and sensory modules.

-Destruction of its Geartheart results in instant death.

Yeah as an animatii maker, I always found it weird that I had to address that in my combat emotes.

Though I would argue we should probably implement this '-The destruction of the pet's head results in an instant death.' as 'The destruction of the pet's gear-heart results in instant death'.

Good amendment.

1 hour ago, Diogen said:

boomsteel,

I would clarify High Density Boomsteel

1 minute ago, BakedPotato said:

I would clarify High Density Boomsteel

thank u for reminding me thats so kawaii of you

Just now, Diogen said:

thank u for reminding me thats so kawaii of you

The things I would reply to this with would get me forum banned

i do believe this will help clean up some weird situations where if you don't have a bludgeoning weapon you just have to sit and wait for the darn thing to bleed out, it gets awkward. 

7 hours ago, Wizry said:

Yeah as an animatii maker, I always found it weird that I had to address that in my combat emotes.

Though I would argue we should probably implement this '-The destruction of the pet's head results in an instant death.' as 'The destruction of the pet's gear-heart results in instant death'.

Good amendment.

thank you

in lore it is explicitly mentioned that they are frailer than their biological counterpart, and it is a bit nonsensical for an animal to continue to live and perform any actions without a head. seeing how its vital modules are all around the head area.

how do you feel about adding cold and fire into the amendment too? could be something along the lines of the lifeblood freezing or that it boils.

35 minutes ago, Wulfric said:

how do you feel about adding cold and fire into the amendment too? could be something along the lines of the lifeblood freezing or that it boils.

I don't know how it work, but I think boiling sounds very right as machines can over heat, but then a cooling system would need to be added I guess.

11 hours ago, Wizry said:

3 hours ago, Diogen said:

in lore it is explicitly mentioned that they are frailer than their biological counterpart, and it is a bit nonsensical for an animal to continue to live and perform any actions without a head. seeing how its vital modules are all around the head area.

Question, what if the brain isn't placed in the head, but he body instead?

Wouldn't you need to figure out where the brain or heart is first then?

we don't need a pc cooling system for machines

On 3/29/2024 at 10:05 PM, Diogen said:

-The destruction of the pet's head results in an instant death.

I think clarifying what a 'head' is, is quite important. Some constructs might not even have a defined head- maybe use 'gearheart' instead, since it's needed to keep lifeblood pumping throughout the body?

Other than that tight post dio, +1

Amendments/Additions implemented into main lore post. Thank you for your submission. Moving to correct subforum to prevent redundancy and clutter.