The Sun in the Wheat

"A confessed heathen who goes back to the faith can live, yet one who returns to malice must die." The temperate one-eyed Templar-Knight said upon exiting the cells.

A languished, exhausted soul lingers in the penumbra of a blinding light.

Perhaps once, in another life, I told you something I didn't truly intend. A promise I knew couldn't be fulfilled.

But I've never regretted it all as much as I do now.

A soft breeze rustled a nearby tree, stirring her from her sleep.

Amaya arose, beckoned by the chittering of anxious birds and troubles brought forth by the mortal realm.

Amaya had never relished fighting or bloodshed, and Villorik knew this. 

If only he could hear me, she thought.  If only . .

. . . and suddenly, somehow, in a burst of golden light, Amaya was in that summer field again.

Spoiler

"You don't have to kill her." — "There is peace found in redemption, Villorik, and mercy found in peace,"

uttered the long-dead Queen. 

"Choose peace."

And when he did, Amaya's soul could truly rest.

Spoiler

bro what i unironically cried reading this this is insane

There is shouting in the dungeon.

Deia stands by the door, amidst the blood and muck, and watches as it stains her shoes, stains her. The breeze brushes past to the cells and back out against her spine and she’s so very cold. Everything is cold without the Queen.

In the shadow of her death, they call her the White Flame. They call her venerated and a Queen of the people (what is left of the people) and they speak of her kindness, her generosity, her love, as a mistake to learn from.

Red pools at her feet like water and she feels the brush of fingertips against her ankle, the first of a trail of corpses that will lead her to her sister. She doesn’t have to look to know their wounds, nor that they will ever flow, an endless fountain from a slit throat, a pierced heart, a skewered eye. She doesn’t have to look to know there are dozens.

For her. For them.

For love.

The gruesome sound of a glaive against flesh makes her open her eyes. When she turns towards the wail that follows, the dungeon door is stainless, there is no weight in her hands, and Amaya is still dead.

Look, a voice demands, at what she has wrought.