The Great Dwarven Printing Press

The Great Dwarven Printing Press

A brilliant invention thought up, like many Dwarven inventions, with two engineers sitting around thinking up ideas for inventions that will make them money.

"Wut 'bout pressin' melons an' makin' woine loike dey duh wi'f pumpkins?", suggests Dominic, a Dwarven Engineer. "Dat wuld nevah be very strong. Dat wuld be very watery!", says Nalro Grayhammer, one of the few other engineers in the kingdom. "Now, wut if ye used da w'eat press tuh flatten iron bars intuh unsharpened swoard blades.", Dominic suggests. "Hmm... possible but Ah fink dat da blades wuld be ov low quality an' few Dwarves even use swoards! We wuldnae make much mina ov doin' dat.", said Nalro, "But wut if we pressed wurds ontuh paper loike a stamp but w'ole page of wurds." "Dat's a bit ov a leap between ideas me finks Nalro, but Ah loike it. 'Ow wuld it wurk?", asked Dominic "Well, jus' loike stamps we can make a stamp dat be loike a page ov a buk an' stampin' dat ontuh a piece ov paper.", explained Nalro. "We can use dis press fer a ton ov fin's", said Dominic. "Aye, we culd make copies ov buuks moar quickly an' sell dem. We culd 'ave stories written an' we can make 'em quickly an' easily.", said Dom. "Aye, well, let's try modifying da press.", said Nalro as the two dwarves stood up and walked towards the engineering hall to begin work.

"Roig'ty, first we need ta carve a page ov wurds intuh dis block ov stuune--", said Dom as he held up a square block of smooth stone. "den carve da runes backwards, remember dat be 'ow stamps wurk." said Nalro as he readied a large jar of ink. An empty silence fills the hall only broken by the chiseling of stone as Dom carved the runes into the stone. Dom look up at the press after he was done and wondered how he was going to attach the stone to the press. "Nalro, 'ow are we goin' ta attach dis tuh da press?" "Me finks ye knew 'ow ya were goin' ta duh dat" said Nalro. "Me finks ye wuld know. We cannae use sloime 'cause it culd be stuck on d'ere almost permanently.", said Dom as he inspects the press. "Wait, we culd carve notches intuh da soides ov de stone an' clap it tuh da press", said Nalro. "Dat moight wurk", said Dom as he walked over to the anvil and forges out two iron clamps. He then walks over to Dom and takes the stone which he then coats it in ink, scraping the excess off, and clapping the stone to the press. He then pulls out a piece of paper out of his pocket and placing it under the press before pulling the lever. As the press rose up the paper was printed with a perfect copy of the runes on the page. The two dwarfs look at eachother and yell with joy. They then ran to the tavern to have a pint to celebrate their success.

And so the dwarven printing press was born. This device signaled the return of the dwarven engineers as a creative force once again. This allow dwarves to quickly reproduce any type of written material.

Seems legit, I am impressed! ;)

*Uses his narrator voice "And so the printed word came to Asulon"

Kjell, I believe this to be an acceptable invention and one that from this point forward, only the Dwarves have invented. Such technology is yours to trade, or protect.