[Lotc Official] A Guide To Character Cards

Telanir

iHFGuHO.png
Section #1

This guide is directed to informing newer players of a valuable part of LotC, the character card.
What exactly is a character card though? A character card is a combination of details that describe your certain character. This includes the character’s name, age, gender, race, and description. You can access these details by shift-right-clicking someone in LotC.
Most of the options are self-explanatory, but the description is a tool that is used in LotC to determine what someone sees upon laying eyes on your character.
I will lay out for you how to use a character card efficiently with an explanation, and the commands that will help you do so.

Main Card Commands

[Without quotes]

“/card”
This will display all of your available cards.

“/card [input]”
This will choose a card. When cards are created they have a specific name, listed when you type this command without an input.

“/createcard [input]”
This will create an additional card, the name is what you will use when changing to it using “/card [name]”.

“/removecard [input]”
This will remove a card, it will lose all of its details permanently and open up an extra card slot.

Information Commands

“/setname [input]”
Setting: This will set the name of your character. If their name is ‘Joe Bob’ then type in “/setname Joe Bob”.
Reading: You cannot know the name of the character you are inspecting at first glance. You can only know it after being told by the character.

“/setage [input]”
Setting: This will set the age of your character. Remember not to set it over the limits, you simply cannot have a 200 year old human, or a 50 year old human child, at which point it really isn’t a child.
Reading: You cannot know the exact age of the character until they tell you directly. You can however, know if a character is old or young by checking this, and use that in roleplay.

“/setgender [input]”
Setting: You can choose either [Male] or [Female]. (Without brackets)
Reading: Your character can easily distinguish between a male or female character unless otherwise stated in their description. If the target is cloaked and hidden you cannot see this feature, but otherwise you can use this.

“/setrace [input]”
Setting: You can choose [Human], [Elf], [Dwarf], [Orc], or [Kharajyr]. (Without brackets)
Reading: Figuring out the race of a character is not tricky, and cannot be hidden with robes and cloaks. Their physical traits differ strongly enough that you will easily be able to figure out the difference between humans/elves/dwarves/orcs.

“/setinfo [input]”
Setting: This will set the first line of your characters info. Remember to add a period at the end of sentences, but don’t include one if you aren’t finished.
Reading: This is covered later in this guide.

“/addinfo [input]”
Setting: This will add onto your information, building up on what you wrote before.
Reading: This is covered later in this guide.

“/setcolor [input]”
Setting: You can choose: [Dark_Blue], [Dark_Green], [Dark_Aqua], [Dark_Red], [Dark_Purple], [Gold], [Gray], [Dark_Gray], [blue], [Green], [Aqua], [Red], [Light_Purple], [Yellow], [White], [bold], [underline], [italic]. This will change the color of your card’s color scheme.
Reading: Well, as the reader you get to enjoy fancy colors now.

Miscellaneous Commands

“/name [name]”
There are two different situations that you may use this command for. One, is that you have a players username, “Telanir”, but don’t have their character name. Then you type in “/name Telanir” and receive the character’s name “Farmer Billy Bob”. Otherwise, you can type “/name Farmer Billy Bob” to figure out who is behind the character.

"/me [name]" or "/char [name]"

By typing this command you can figure out someones description in their card without shift-right-clicking them. This can be useful if you are too far away to click and approaching would be rather awkward. If you type "/me" without the input it will show you your own character card.

Ax5X7bC.png
Section #2

In LotC, there are a few ways to use your descriptions. You can technically use it to write in your characters biography, or information that is relevant to them or their storyline, however. There is one method that is by far the most useful and relevant.
Using your characters info section on the card to describe their physical features is strongly recommended and the most useful especially in roleplay.
How come that is more useful than the characters biography?

The reason is metagaming. When one character meets another, they do not instinctively or suddenly know their entire background history or their favourite type of cheese.
When you look at someone in real-life, you can see their clothing, the features of their body, the color of their eyes, that sort of thing. Because, when was the last time you looked at your friends face closely and noticed that their parents dropped a spoon on the floor when they were eight? Well, quite frankly, you’ve never been able to do that, and none of the excuse of ‘seeing it in their eyes’ doesn’t work here, although it is fantasy it is still realistic to a point.

Alright, so now you vaguely know what you should include in your information section for your character card. But what exactly does a physical-based description card include?

It...

• Can describe a vicious scar on your characters ear.
  • Cannot state that your character is deaf.
  • Can describe an eye fogged in white, with a visible scar across their face.
  • Cannot state that your character is blind.
  • Can describe a weak and stiff looking body.
  • Cannot state that your character is paralyzed.
  • Can describe an ever present sour look to your characters face.
  • Cannot state that your character is unhappy with events in his life.
  • Can describe a worn out and dark eyed expression.
  • Cannot state that your character recently suffered the death of his parents by orcs.
  • Can describe a dagger positioned near your waist.
  • Cannot state how your character sacrificed many Halflings over a fire to the Blood Gods using it.
  • Can describe bruises and injuries in detail.
  • Cannot state how the injuries were caused by your characters brutal and unkind parents during his/her childhood.

So these key examples may help you judge whether or not what you want to include in your description. Notice how you can state your physical features, but not necessarily the events behind them. Your character might have a missing arm, but judging the cause is left to the onlooker. Who knows? The injury could have been self-inflicted or caused by a third-party.
Keep in mind that this is a guideline that you should generally follow, but I am not here to dictate what you can and cannot do in LotC. Just remember that you can use physical features described in an info block, but not their biographies, which you will only purely know in OOC.
Have fun using these features, and remember to avoid including any unnecessary details, a card should be descriptive, but to the point, and useful for the reader to wield in roleplay with you.

Huh. Good idea, posting this. Hopefully, people will actually visit the Game Mechanics section. 

Yes, that was actually one of the main points when I posted this in this section. ^-^

You should have called this "Meet the Character Card" :D

Nah, this guide has nothing to do with the Series. It would almost just feel selfish for me to advertise it even further. :P

Once more Telanir, excellent work buddy!

Thanks Arzota! :D

Great work Tel! I need write out my info again, and this has actually helped. So thank you, and, keep going with these guides!

Nice guide! I now notice how much I've mistaken in describing my character. This is of a great help! ^_^

What if when trying to switch cards you cant becuase the card you are trying to witch to does not have a name. When I do /card [input] , there is no input name

What if when trying to switch cards you cant becuase the card you are trying to witch to does not have a name. When I do /card [input] , there is no input name

When you type "/card" it will show you a list of all of your cards that you have.

Their names will be listed, and that is what you can use as input when typing "/card [input]"

When you type "/card" it will show you a list of all of your cards that you have.

Their names will be listed, and that is what you can use as input when typing "/card [input]"

When I type card it shows this: "You charactor cards:   , Goldhand,  McHarnish (3/3)"  One card does not have an input name is the problem

Nice job!

When I type card it shows this: "You charactor cards:   , Goldhand,  McHarnish (3/3)"  One card does not have an input name is the problem

Maybe the input itself is just a space? Try it, although I doubt that would work. That doesn't look fixable. :\

This was very needed! I'm glad the description has been explained, I'm getting tired of seeing peoples life story in their eyes.

You can also view other peoples cards without shift-right clicking on them by typing /me [MCname]