How To Be Shot - A Combat Guide

ski_king3

Great guide! Love it love it love it!

THANK YOU, So much. When I get shot, I'm down, simple. If I had a nickle for every roleplayer who continued to fight masterfully with an arrow in them like it was a tiny little toothpick in their side...ugh.

Something that could be added to this, if hit with an arrow, you could /roll 10 and emote where you've been hit, could be done by the shooter or the person that has been shot

Great guide, really brings into light the actual damage a single arrow or bolt can do to a man.

I usually roll on 10 or 20 when I RP firing a crossbow at someone to see how effective my aiming was, it prevents powergaming most of the time.

So an Orc without armor is about equivalent to a human with leather armor?

Not exactly since the Orc will stil be hurt and can take serious arterial or muscular damage. His muscle mass will protect him for the most part however it will still be very unpleasant.

Not exactly since the Orc will stil be hurt and can take serious arterial or muscular damage. His muscle mass will protect him for the most part however it will still be very unpleasant.

Pretty much this. The orc will be hurt, and likely lose some mobility with the part of the body that was hit. However, depending on the severity of the wound, they may be able to keep on going. Maybe.

Good guide. Many a-time have people rolled out of the way of a crossbow bolt from five feet away.

-RED ALERT-

A longbow IS stronger than a crossbow at full draw! Look it up! I like looking into this stuff ;).

-Guide needs to be changed-

Note on use: A longbow is difficult to use and requires much more power. While it requires more power though, it can also be reloaded faster and can shoot farther than a crossbow. It is also, as stated, more powerful than a crossbow too. Most people who use longbows can only use it in at most leather such as the English Longbow Archers in medieval times. Any more than that and it is nearly impossible to use due to the size of the bow and flexibility needed to draw it. People who have used this also wore leather wrist bands + gloves due to the fact that the string would have the tenancy to strike the wrist when fired.

Downside of using a longbow: Less accurate than a crossbow.

Longbows were actually quite accurate. I more depended on the user himself.

But the main gist of this, is that if you get shot, you are pretty much fucked.

Longbows were actually quite accurate. I more depended on the user himself.

But the main gist of this, is that if you get shot, you are pretty much fucked.

Ya they were accurate but not as accurate as the crossbow. However, due to their need for years of training & flexability, most guards & castle defenders would use the crossbow. One of the main reasons being is that it is easier to use but also crossbows are stronger than a longbow at short ranged distances. If some army was to get onto the walls, most of it would be short distance encounters. However, if you were on a field of battle that had 100-400 meters distance between the two armies, the longbow would be be better. They wouldn't fire alone though but instead be in big, grouped masses. Why? One reason is the power of the longbow even at long range and two because it would be deadly. A reason why that it would be deadly is because, as an example, English Longbowmen could load and fire 5 - 10 arrows a minute or more. Compared to the crossbow which fires 1 bolt per minute, it is a much more deadly weapon in skirmishes and battles on open land.

I'm a bit confused on one point, I've shot bows and crossbows for hundreds of hours, guns throwing axes and all sorts of goodies. While a crossbow bolt is powerful It is nothing compared to a fully pulled long bow. No matter the distance the arrow flying will have nearly the velocity the drag from air doesn't slow the arrows very much as compared to the bolts of a crossbow. And the amount of force you can apply from a simply crossbow that would have been used during the middle ages pales in comparison.

That being said, new age crossbows pack a lot more power because you can wind the strings in with a winch, "something they didn't have on crossbows only ballistas of the early ages.

Medival crossbolts were useful for penetrating small gaps in armor, and for there ability to be used by novice marksman since they don't require any muscle memory to use.

Just my 2cents, otherwise great guide. I've seen several people inflicted with arrow wounds, either by accidental shooting or bow breakage...its never pretty. Unless you are well trained to manage pain you wont be doing very much with a shaft sticking out of you.

Not sure if this was said but Arrows will not pierce Iron Armor and if you were told this, you were lied too. the only things i seen pierced by arrows in terms of full metal armor is bronze, You Can Fire The Weak points at it though, such as neck, inner arm elbow area, and basically any joint area. it will-not kill but it will injure greatly unless you hit the neck area.

Not sure if this was said but Arrows will not pierce Iron Armor and if you were told this, you were lied too. the only things i seen pierced by arrows in terms of full metal armor is bronze, You Can Fire The Weak points at it though, such as neck, inner arm elbow area, and basically any joint area. it will-not kill but it will injure greatly unless you hit the neck area.

False. Knights hated the English archers with a passion, purely because their armour was useless, and even if they did have super good armour, most could put an arrow in their visor at 200 yards. They simply could not stand against even a small force of archers, which could decimate a much larger force of knights within the space of a few minutes. Long story short- longbow will make armour useless even from a range.