How To Be Shot - A Combat Guide

ski_king3

As others before me have said, longbows were actually more powerful than crossbows. The reason that they stopped being a common sight on the battlefield was the fact that they took decades to train with. Many knights, who detested longbowmen for using such of a 'cowardly' weapon, would often try to pull back a longbow to full draw, to show that it was not actually that hard. There are no records of a knight ever being able to draw the longbow past 1/4 of its draw on his first try. Therefore, longbows should be a much rarer sight in LOTC, as a man-at-arms would NOT be able to pick up a longbow and start shooting.

Also, longbows, though still extremely powerful, were unwieldy at short ranges, as they were built  to be taller than their user, usually around 6 feet five inches long for humans. Therefore, despite the fact that many people envision their stealthy elven ranger using a longbow, it would actually be a DISADVANTAGE in any heavily forested area, and would almost certainly not allow your character the ability to be stealthy. Most "ranger" types; that is, a silent woodsman, would have used composite bows or recurve bows for their mobility, durability, and effectiveness in close to medium combat.

I agree entirely, Henry V actually led a massive force of longbowmen to France and although heavily outnumbered conquered an opposing french force that was bigger, better armed, more healthy/fresh and had the HUGE advantage of morale. He decimated these guys with his peasant welsh longbowmen. What i'm saying is that although the longbowmen were peasants they were literally forced to train with the long bow at an early age, each village in wales depending on size was forced to maintain a force of X amount of longbowmen. To put a long story short it took ages to master the longbow and even then it was trajectory and firing in groups, to actually use a longbow in military as a sniper like weapon would take YEARS of practise, literally.

Chainmail will not protect you from any arrow - the arrowhead will simply puncture through the links and your done.

Also on the longbow vs. crossbow argument: http://www.thebeckoning.com/medieval/crossbow/cross_l_v_c.html

Basically, the crossbow has (a ****load of) more power, but is a terribly inefficient weapon in comparison to the longbow. It has a longer (almost 15x as long when used by a PROFESSIONAL and TRAINED user) draw time and due to the short limbs of the crossbow, wastes a lot of potential energy when firing. Contrary to popular belief a crossbow bolt tends to be lighter then your average longbow arrow, so the difference in actual power is very little. At short-to-mid ranges the crossbow will outclass the longbow in sheer stopping power, simply because of the increased velocity, however, due to the lighter nature of a crossbow bolt, at longer ranges, the crossbow looses a lot of its effectiveness. The longbow will win.

Also factor in the fact the longbow can fire approximately fifteen to twenty-five arrows in the time a crossbowman can get off one, however, being able to take a longbow back to its full draw weight is a ***** - trust me, i've tried - longbow training takes YEARS to start to rub off, not to mention aiming with a longbow is much more difficult then with a crossbow.

Another thing you might want to consider is that bows were not a weapon for one on one combat. Ever. Bowman were only ever fielded in large amounts and generally, you would hardly ever hit your target - the point was to pepper the hell out of an area and maximize casualties with each volley by attacking massed enemy formations, you did not simply focus on a single target each and expect to hit every single one. Remember this. 

Brilliant new guide ski! Congratulations!

As my Sloth Pope stated, this was a /really/ good guide. So many people need to know how to use the "bow family" correctly.

~The Sloth King

As my Sloth Pope stated, this was a /really/ good guide. So many people need to know how to use the "bow family" correctly.

~The Sloth King

I am afraid that the Sloth Pope is higher up than a mere King. You sir, you only live a few decades. I! I have been chosen by the mighty Slanatee to spread his word across the lands. I AM IMMORTAL!

I'm starting to think these guides should be a must-read for anyone who applies.

About chainmail.

Riveted chainmail worn over the top of a decent gambeson is actually one of the best defenses against arrows around.

In fact, in a detailed study with extensive testing done by the UK National Museum Royal Armouries, it was concluded that, and I quote "it is almost impossible to penetrate using any conventional medieval weapon".

Due to its design, riveted chainmail combined with a gambeson is very effective against arrows and many other piercing weapons. When an arrowhead goes through one of the links of the chainmail it lodges into the link, but doesn't penetrate far because the links have small circumferences. The small part of the arrow that does go through the link is then stopped by the soft thick layer of the gambeson.

If the arrow was to directly hit one of the links, then it would bounce off, leaving the riveted mail intact, with its strong structure.

(Other types of chainmail such as butted mail, are not effective in this way as they are structurally weak.)

The disadvantage of chainmail armour however is that it is usually only worn as a top garment, often leaving legs relatively more exposed.

So remember kids, if your opponent is wearing riveted chainmail, then go for the ol arrow in the knee! :wink:

*Wipes sweat from brow*
Well now I think I best be off to bed...

Fun Fact: 

The average longbowman looked a lot like this.

y5k1xsM.jpg

Their training with the powerful bows from such a young age made one of their arms develop much quicker than the other. Just thought I'd point that out if anybody wanted to be a lopsided longbow user.

Great guide! You definitely did your research.

Love the guide and how you went on the fact how unlikely it is to avoid an arrow if you were not expecting it. Also how dammaging crossbows are against heavy armor. There is though a single point which I have to disagree with you. 

The entire point that leather was used was to to avoid damage from arrows. Leather armor allowed to soak the power which an arrow hits you with. So a regular bow would not be able to penetrate leather armor. Though it should be possible to penetrate leather armor with a crossbow and a longbow from close aim. 

Otherwise, love the guide, and you should certainly write more :)

About chainmail.

Riveted chainmail worn over the top of a decent gambeson is actually one of the best defenses against arrows around.

In fact, in a detailed study with extensive testing done by the UK National Museum Royal Armouries, it was concluded that, and I quote "it is almost impossible to penetrate using any conventional medieval weapon".

Due to its design, riveted chainmail combined with a gambeson is very effective against arrows and many other piercing weapons. When an arrowhead goes through one of the links of the chainmail it lodges into the link, but doesn't penetrate far because the links have small circumferences. The small part of the arrow that does go through the link is then stopped by the soft thick layer of the gambeson.

If the arrow was to directly hit one of the links, then it would bounce off, leaving the riveted mail intact, with its strong structure.

(Other types of chainmail such as butted mail, are not effective in this way as they are structurally weak.)

The disadvantage of chainmail armour however is that it is usually only worn as a top garment, often leaving legs relatively more exposed.

So remember kids, if your opponent is wearing riveted chainmail, then go for the ol arrow in the knee! :wink:

*Wipes sweat from brow*

Well now I think I best be off to bed...

Do you guys think you could get links for these?

Also, for those of you who are trying to give super detailed descriptions of every different type of bow and armour and their exact differences, this is meant to be a very simple guide. There's already a guide with information about different types of bows, this guide is meant to explain to players that somebody shooting an arrow at you should not be taken lightly. The more details I add, sadly, the less likely a new player will read it. If you feel your information is worthy of being noted, then make a guide yourself, or PM me and I would likely be willing to do it for you.

Do you guys think you could get links for these?

Also, for those of you who are trying to give super detailed descriptions of every different type of bow and armour and their exact differences, this is meant to be a very simple guide. There's already a guide with information about different types of bows, this guide is meant to explain to players that somebody shooting an arrow at you should not be taken lightly. The more details I add, sadly, the less likely a new player will read it. If you feel your information is worthy of being noted, then make a guide yourself, or PM me and I would likely be willing to do it for you.

I've got to go to work now. But I did have links to some youtube videos showing proof of testing, I'll see if I can find them when I get back.

I've got to go to work now. But I did have links to some youtube videos showing proof of testing, I'll see if I can find them when I get back.

Alrighty, thanks :)

Best way to get hit by an arrow--

-Person shoots an arrow at you.

-You get hit by the arrow.

Just get hit by the arrow, guys.

Excellent guide! Although I would argue that a crossbow has less of an effect from farther away than long bows.

Crossbows tear through armor close-up

Long bows do so farther away.

Just my opinion.

Exactly!