How To Be Shot - A Combat Guide

ski_king3

Good guide, makes sense. Really puts the power of bows into perspective.

Excellent guide! Although I would argue that a crossbow has less of an effect from farther away than long bows.

Crossbows tear through armor close-up

Long bows do so farther away.

Just my opinion.

I would like to take this guide and shove it down so many people's throats. Excellent work.

Love the guide and how you went on the fact how unlikely it is to avoid an arrow if you were not expecting it. Also how dammaging crossbows are against heavy armor. There is though a single point which I have to disagree with you. 

Regular Bows: Regular bows are basically the weakest form of bow. Far less powerful than any other bow, they are far more mobile than other bows. Due to the fact that they are less powerful, it is likely that iron armour would protect you from the arrow. Chainmail is possible, although unlikely, and leather would almost certainly not protect you from an arrow shot by a regular bow.

The entire point that leather was used was to to avoid damage from arrows. Leather armor allowed to soak the power which an arrow hits you with. So a regular bow would not be able to penetrate leather armor. Though it should be possible to penetrate leather armor with a crossbow and a longbow from close aim. 

Otherwise, love the guide, and you should certainly write more :)

Hmm definitely good, PEOPLE READ THIS. I roleplayed my ex-sailor using a normal bow, and although he is poorly trained it was almost point blank to a soldier's who's back was turned. EVEN then the soldier thought it likely he could dodge an arrow, I think not buddy. Thanks mate should really help the server.

Longbows were actually more powerful than crossbows, and kept that power from a great distance. They had a much higher fire rare too. However, they took a decade of training from the age of five to become competent with, and further training every day to achieve the levels required to easily pull back the string. Also, the archers who used the longbows would be deformed, and lopsided due t the amount if muscle in one arm, and the bone being stretched to of shapes by the pure strain of the bow. Many people couldn't even draw a longbow to quarter draw

(To be edited on a computer)

As others before me have said, longbows were actually more powerful than crossbows. The reason that they stopped being a common sight on the battlefield was the fact that they took decades to train with. Many knights, who detested longbowmen for using such of a 'cowardly' weapon, would often try to pull back a longbow to full draw, to show that it was not actually that hard. There are no records of a knight ever being able to draw the longbow past 1/4 of its draw on his first try. Therefore, longbows should be a much rarer sight in LOTC, as a man-at-arms would NOT be able to pick up a longbow and start shooting.

Also, longbows, though still extremely powerful, were unwieldy at short ranges, as they were built  to be taller than their user, usually around 6 feet five inches long for humans. Therefore, despite the fact that many people envision their stealthy elven ranger using a longbow, it would actually be a DISADVANTAGE in any heavily forested area, and would almost certainly not allow your character the ability to be stealthy. Most "ranger" types; that is, a silent woodsman, would have used composite bows or recurve bows for their mobility, durability, and effectiveness in close to medium combat.

Good guide Ski. This could definitely help people out if they are confused about how strong bows really can be.

As others before me have said, longbows were actually more powerful than crossbows. The reason that they stopped being a common sight on the battlefield was the fact that they took decades to train with. Many knights, who detested longbowmen for using such of a 'cowardly' weapon, would often try to pull back a longbow to full draw, to show that it was not actually that hard. There are no records of a knight ever being able to draw the longbow past 1/4 of its draw on his first try. Therefore, longbows should be a much rarer sight in LOTC, as a man-at-arms would NOT be able to pick up a longbow and start shooting.

Also, longbows, though still extremely powerful, were unwieldy at short ranges, as they were built  to be taller than their user, usually around 6 feet five inches long for humans. Therefore, despite the fact that many people envision their stealthy elven ranger using a longbow, it would actually be a DISADVANTAGE in any heavily forested area, and would almost certainly not allow your character the ability to be stealthy. Most "ranger" types; that is, a silent woodsman, would have used composite bows or recurve bows for their mobility, durability, and effectiveness in close to medium combat.

Exactly what I was trying to say, but hard on iPad.

To use a longbow at maximum efficiency, one would have needed to train for a really long time as many have said already. However, know that longbows were extremely common and were used by half-trained men and militia. They were usually an easier tool to use for those never having trained with a bow overall, even if the efficiency would obviously be reduced.

Either way, great guide, I like it.

Hey guys, I'm at school now, but when I get home I'll research all the things people pointed out and edit accordingly. However, the main points are that if you're getting shot, your armour isn't a super effective protection, you can't dodge an arrow, and it's pretty damn hard to fight when you've been shot.

Maybe you should post statistics to back up these claims though, such as comparing the actual power of the bows with data to prove the claims. Simply saying something is true doesn't make it true, and even if it is true you're sure to be met with skepticism (and rightly so, because everyone should be skeptic of things to ensure the quality of information). Also you should include information regarding the durability and typing of the armour you imagine being worn in these situations as well.