Fjarriauga And The Frostborn Coven

Urahra

90 members have voted

1. 1. Frost Witches?

We now has wiki page! Click here!

Fjarriauga and the Frostborn Coven

Frost%20Witch.png

They are called Frost Witches.

Far north, in the ice land of Skjoldier, fathers tell their sons to beware the “Fjarriauga” or “Frost Witches”. Stories are told of foolish men who ventured into the deep woods, unaware of the dangers that lie there. So often, those men would come across beautiful, weeping girls, mysteriously out in the middle of the snow. Being kind men, they would pause to help, only to disappear without a trace. These are the Frost Witches men warn of, cunning beasts that were once women but who now consume the flesh and blood of young, unwary men. Stories warn of their cleverness -- how they hide behind the forms of young, lovely women -- and will lure in any man foolish enough to fall for the disguise. However, any warrior who can see past the witch's disguise may earn a quick witted friend and a powerful ally.

The myth goes that the first Fjarriauga was born when a young bride, abandoned at the altar by her would be husband, charged out into a snowstorm. The snowstorm grew more and more violent as the young bride struggled through the snowdrifts. Eventually, she collapsed. Old Father Winter saw the bride and took pity on her. He leaned in and gave her the wedding kiss she'd longed for, turning her lips blue and her skin grey. Icy coldness crept into the young bride's heart and, when she awoke, she found her body was as cold as the snow she lay on. The snowflakes bent to her will and, out of the ice, she formed a chariot finer than anything her husband could have given her. This Fjarriauga, known in myth as Kriemhild the Witch Mother, spread the curse of the Frost Witch across the land. Any woman with deep despair in her heart may embrace the cold and find power, if she is marked by a Witch Mother. It is only the strength of their faith and will that many women avoid falling and becoming Frost Witches.

The powers of a Fjarriauga are tempting, though, and there are those that might seek out a Fjarriauga to gain the benefit of her knowledge. Fjarriauga are masters of disguise. Their skin is naturally grey and their eyes a glowing blue, but they can slip into a mortal skin as easily as changing clothes. They cannot impersonate others, but they can make themselves look normal. One can only identify a disguised Frost Witch by her icy touch. Fjarriauga can control the ice and snow, though they are powerless in the heat. Many Frost Witches are known as great seers and fortune tellers, offering to divine the future for any man who catches them in disguise. However, Fjarriauga are as fickle as the chilly northern breeze and are just as likely to eat a man as they are to help him. Fjarriauga delight in the succulent flesh of young men. It is one of the few things that gives their cold hearts pleasure.

Though violent, fickle, and tricky, Fjarriauga can be both helpful and harmful. They are required to provide aid to anyone who spots them in disguise. Unfortunately for those seeking their power and wisdom, a Frost Witch's mood may only depend on her appetite. Men, especially married men, must beware most of the Frost Witches. A favorite tactic of theirs is to devour a man and then mark his grieving bride for Witchdom. In this way, their numbers continue to swell.

The curse of the Fjarriauga, like its creators, is fickle. A woman must first be willingly or unwillingly marked by a Witch Mother (a powerful Frost Witch with the ability to spread the curse). However, being marked by a Witch Mother is not enough to cause a woman to fall. If a woman is strong in faith and in will, she can escape becoming a Witch. To become a Witch, a woman must give into the despair that plagues her. Only then will the curse take over, giving her the powers of disguise and frost and binding her to the Witch Mother who marked her. Each Frost Witch Coven is governed by a Witch Mother. With time, a Frost Witch may grow powerful enough to spread the curse and create her own Witch Coven.

Such was the case in Asulon.

The Frostborn Coven

The mark of a Witch Mother is hard to discern. It appears on the back of a woman's neck -- a blue splotch no different from a bruise. Indeed, many women dismiss it as such. Some never even know it's there.

I would turn one of my current characters (Brunhylde) into a witch. The woman would have been marked by a witch originating in Skjoldier and succumb to the curse in Asulon. The witch would then grow in power and be compelled to add to her coven.

The title "Frostborn" is a pun on "Firstborn", signifying their place as Asulon's first coven.

Requirements/General Facts

-All Fjarriauga would be required to have villain apps for 2b and 4 at least. (if this gets approved, I’ll write a mini VA for Brunhylde with both these evils.)
-All Frost Witches would be female (they would only be “marked”, of course, if they wanted it OOC).
-There is no application to become a Fjarriauga. It is all RP based (except for a person must consent OOC that they want to be marked. Even if they are marked, they do not have to become Fjarriauga. As started above, a woman who is strong in faith and courageous can overcome the curse).
-Ideally, they should be able to spawn snowballs and ice at will. Of course, this is negotiable.
-Fjarriauga would not be allowed to impersonate other players. Ideally, they would have a normal looking “disguise” skin and a “Witch” skin (with grey skin and glowing eyes). Frost Witches also wouldn’t be able to shift into non-humanoid forms. Frost Witches are always identified by their cold touch.
-They don’t have any “magical powers” besides potentially spawning ice and shifting appearances.
-Fjarriauga have no supernatural strength or resilience. Whether disguised or not disguised, they are fragile creatures who are easily hurt. The strategy of offering a favor is often used to prevent a spotter from outright killing them. PvP as a Fjarriauga would be avoided – instead they would rely on trickery to get out of dangerous situations.
-Fjarriauga’s need for flesh is debilitating and they will get sick if they go too long without feeding. New Fjarriauga are afflicted with extreme hunger and are apt to attempt to feed on any man in the vicinity.
- Fjarriauga would be required to aid anyone who spots them in their disguise (cold touch identifies them). Spotting a Fjarriauga out of disguise does not get this benefit.
-Fjarriauga lose their powers in hot climates, like deserts. They cannot spawn ice or disguise themselves in the heat. They become very sickly in heat and very easy to kill.
-Fjarriauga can also not spawn ice or snow in their disguises.
-Fjarriauga would also not permakill anyone’s character’s without explicit permission. If the person wanted to live, it’s fine for them to escape with a small bite out of them.
-Fjarriauga do not age after transforming, but they can be killed. They cannot be cured.

The Frostborn Coven would, of course, be small. Probably limited to less than six members at a time.

I always thought the idea of Dawn being a “witch” was a missed opportunity, so I wanted to introduce actual witches to Asulon. It would be a small addition to the server, but perhaps an interesting one.

Fjarriauga, as stated above, give their aid to anyone who spots them in their disguises. They’ll be venturing into population centers fairly often in order to find men to devour, so that will bring people into interaction with them. Fjarriauga can be spiritual guides and offer advice as well as their ice power. Both communal and individual RP will be involved. It will be an interesting situation for both individuals and communities to uncover and ally with Fjarriauga.

Possible Fjarriauga tower:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dB3f0MGYST4

*Stomps his mighty Lore-Writing Pen-Staff to the ground and demands a poll be put forth. Then cowers as Urara the Fjarriauga tries to curse him to undergo metamorphosis to transform into a lusty lady with icicle earrings* :lol:

I think this is quite interesting. Is it race exclusive, or can it be for Orc woman, dark elves, etc?

Yaaaay, it's back.

A question: How well known would the Fjarriauga be initially? Would they be common knowledge, or completely unknown, or somewhere in between?

Holy god, Orc woman frost witch, that would be amazing! Would her disguise form turn her into a beautiful lady, or an ugly orc? There has to be a way to tempt Orc men somehow right?

Capt0z let me know about this lore and after reading it all over, I think it's an amazing idea for some characters.

Also, hearing you're having difficulty getting it approved, I wish you the best of luck because this would be an amazing source of role play for some characters and hope you get to implement it all.

Have all my support on this and wish you best of luck, Can't wait to see it in action.

Holy god, Orc woman frost witch, that would be amazing! Would her disguise form turn her into a beautiful lady, or an ugly orc? There has to be a way to tempt Orc men somehow right?

I believe their disguise can take the guise of any race, as long as they're somewhat similar in size (ie. they can't disguise as a child). However, you'd best wait for Urara's word on that.

Capt0z let me know about this lore and after reading it all over, I think it's an amazing idea for some characters.

Also, hearing you're having difficulty getting it approved, I wish you the best of luck because this would be an amazing source of role play for some characters and hope you get to implement it all.

Have all my support on this and wish you best of luck, Can't wait to see it in action.

Guest Guest

The general idea is quite impressive in my view. You have my support on this idea, my friend.

Poll added, sirs.

Urara as the Frost Witch? Never thought of that.

Don't think it'll work, though, seeing as she lives in the desert and Frost Witches hate the desert.

Are they some form of Undead? Not literally Iblees Undead, but are they physical spirits, or just cursed?

Nope, not undead.

I'd call them "monsters". They don't worship Iblees, they don't have undead magic, etc. They're just vicious beasts who like to nom on people.

Nope, not undead.

I'd call them "monsters". They don't worship Iblees, they don't have undead magic, etc. They're just vicious beasts who like to nom on people.

That doesn't stop people thinking they're undead in-character and hunting them for it, though.

Yes, I brought that up on the old thread.

No one in Asulon would know what a Frost Witch is. Cold bodies, magic, and appetites for flesh would probably lead people to think that they were definitely undead. While this is not the case, this is the conclusion I expect everyone to make in character. Calling them "witches" will be considered metagaming until the term is well known, I think.

Yes, I brought that up on the old thread.

No one in Asulon would know what a Frost Witch is. Cold bodies, magic, and appetites for flesh would probably lead people to think that they were definitely undead. While this is not the case, this is the conclusion I expect everyone to make in character. Calling them "witches" will be considered metagaming until the term is well known, I think.

I believe the term witch is known, but we just know that it is some sort of bad magical woman. We dont know much more than that. The first time the term came up was in Aegis, but the term did arise once more in Asulon with the term "Witch Queen". Again though, from what I have seen and read, people dont have a clue about what a witch truly is. Thats the reason why so many rumours circled around solace and it's 'witch'. The only thing people can depend on to even understand, find, etc. witches is rumours and tales.