The Best Kind Of Villain

Crayfishchris

Many of you may not know this, but Varstivus only has one evil, which is deception. So he can do things without combat and killing RP. Now, this is the blue elf, with mismatched eyes, a skeleton hand, and an unhealthy obsession with alchemy. Just because you look it, doesn't mean you are it.

I'd like to mention that your point is not exactly true. Yes robbing someone on the highway is the only way to get direct minas. But burgularing a house and hawking the wares on the auction house is surely not out of the question? Or perhaps even trying to find a fence to sell your things to for a reduced price, bringing someone else in on your villainy. 

There is plenty of out of the box thinking that villains could be doing that they are not. There are just too many of the same blood-thirsty, want-to-be-feared, type villains. 

Edit: I read your post as saying that "robbing someone one the road" while essentially saying "give me some minas or I'll hurt you". Now that I reread your post I understand that this could have gone a few ways and am sorry in advance if I misinterpreted. 

With the recent changes to the villain rules, this is not possible anymore. Lock picking thievery used to be high up there with being one of the funnest activities, so your point is valid, just not possible anymore.

Death doesn't make people fear you, it annoys them. Simply don't kill unless necessary. 

^This.

I love villainous roleplay. I mean, LOVE it. But I HATE when I am killed. Because, and I'm not sure if people know this....when you die, you forget. You forget about your death. Which means that whole getting surrounded by people and getting robbed rp, just, poofs. "Who would want to remember that anyway?" Well if someone were to even ask that question, uhm...I dunno. It can bring up more RP opportunities? It can...I don't know...help with something I like to call, oh, what's the word...character development? If I'm ever going to live in a world where there are many things that want my blood and coin, I'd like to be able to remember. Otherwise most of my characters will remain in a stasis of fantasy but with this statement "Oh, there are things out there that could kill me! Best stay inside at night." other than something I'd like which would be "Holy **** there are things out there that TRIED to kill me oh my god, lock the door and bolt the windows!!!111!1!!11!" ---I can't RP fear if the only thing I can feel and remember is Annoyance. Well, obviously I still can, but, I'd rather my character develop into that instead of automatically being fearful of everything. If you, get my point. Which, I hope SOMEONE does. Because I do not usually try to make points. It hurts my brain and is usually unfruitful.

I am getting really tired of folks beating their chests like twelve-year olds owning a sandbox about how "their character is absolutely the right brand of villain. My character so-and-so is a unique, yet twisted" blah-blah-blah bullshyte is leaking. Cut all the bullshyte, we should be speaking about this OOCly, as gamers with one another that understand that while we all vie for our own brand of fun and go through different methods; we should be courteous and try to find a balance with the other participants of this video game.

I knew we couldn't trust those dirt valah.
Lel great job Chris! You sure had me fooled.

Getting minas through villainy will always be more satisfying than through peaceful RP. That's why bandit RP is so popular, its extremely fun and the only way at the moment to actually earn some minas while being evil.

It should be a double edged sword though. Creating RP for both players and not just profit for the villain. The reason we don't see people robbed in daylight on our streets is because of the dangers that are increased in doing so. As it is now, If a villain robs you IC, they can come with nothing to lose, not even their lives....no risk, all reward.

I'll have to disagree with the rest of your statement though. There are Certainly better ways to create an income stream for a villain than robbery. As Ben Stated, Burglary, Counterfeiting, Political Corruption, Kidnapping, Even imposing as a tax collector, extortion as  a guard, bribery....These are all methods of income that a villain can use. It just takes a little more thought and effort. Something we ask all villains to expend for the sake of all our RP.

I like a villain that has an entire life away from banditing/stealing/arson/whatever. Characters that spend their entire life on a rooftop throwing ninja stars at people are terrible villains.

I am getting really tired of folks beating their chests like twelve-year olds owning a sandbox about how "their character is absolutely the right brand of villain. My character so-and-so is a unique, yet twisted" blah-blah-blah bullshyte is leaking. Cut all the bullshyte, we should be speaking about this OOCly, as gamers with one another that understand that while we all vie for our own brand of fun and go through different methods; we should be courteous and try to find a balance with the other participants of this video game.

As I have said multiple times, this is my preferred type of villain. Since I play a guard, I constantly have to deal with the psychos out to kill and make their name, and I just feel like it has become too common. Maybe I was hasty in naming this topic 'The Best Kind of Villain', but I am not attempting to brag, I am not attempting to hate, I am not attempting to push the server in one way. I'm just here to show people that there are other ways to play villains than being a crazed mass-murderer. You have the street-rat, you have the conspiring politician, you have the bully. So many ways to make villain RP interesting without killing and making yourself incredibly infamous.

Perhaps we need a list then? Of all the Accepted Villain characters out there, and what evils they preform on a normal bases. Would give us some numbers to view so we could see....Hey we have 100 "Minas or die" and only 3 "Robin Hoods".....Perhaps less players would want to play a character if they knew an almost exact copy of them is already around 100 times over.

Edit: Slightly exaggerated...but you get the idea.

As I have said multiple times, this is my preferred type of villain. Since I play a guard, I constantly have to deal with the psychos out to kill and make their name, and I just feel like it has become too common. Maybe I was hasty in naming this topic 'The Best Kind of Villain', but I am not attempting to brag, I am not attempting to hate, I am not attempting to push the server in one way. I'm just here to show people that there are other ways to play villains than being a crazed mass-murderer. You have the street-rat, you have the conspiring politician, you have the bully. So many ways to make villain RP interesting without killing and making yourself incredibly infamous.

I think you missed my point, Im getting tired of people self-aggrandizing themselves in front of each other. You as a player likes certain evils which is cool. I dont want to hear about how "Kristian Von Craw is this very interesting, twisted creature" lol.

I think you missed my point, Im getting tired of people self-aggrandizing themselves in front of each other. You as a player likes certain evils which is cool. I dont want to hear about how "Kristian Von Craw is this very interesting, twisted creature" lol.

Quite a good point XD. Sorry 'bout the misunderstanding. It felt like the best way to get my point across, by giving an example.

@Domainoft

We have far too many Robin Hoods applying for VA's but none that actually do anything with the evils they've gained. The same goes for all the other jobs you've mentioned above, they are simply too much of a hassle and are often ruined because people aren't good sports towards villains.

No one pays for assassinations because when you kill someone, they simply come back after a while.

WIthout lockpicking, most are now forced to scurry for open chests which have likely already been looted.

Political corruption will not get you anywhere as all the figures would know each other OOC'ly and IC'ly and I see no actual way of extorting money off that (except with using your powers to rob others).

You can't counterfeit Minas, and if you try to counterfeit an important item, you'll likely end up making an identical item and it can be argued that the one who bought the item won't have a good time.

Kidnapping is one that I've practised for a while on my slaver character, and it is slightly profitable, however, you need permission to enslave someone and if you are only holding them for ransom, the person being held up has to wait for someone to bail them out, which means they might have to wait IRL days without playing.

There's no taxes in cities right now, but that could be fun. However it will often be ruined by OOC since others will just call you out on it through meta-gaming or, they will simply refuse to pay to someone who isn't their lord (Since all transactions don't happen with physical minas, and can be done with simply /pay)

Extortion is fun, but the amount of money you earn vs the amount of people you need to fully intimidate isn't very balanced and will have to split the already small sum with everyone around you.

I fail to see how bribery gives you any sort of income.

I don't mean to undermine your ideas whatsoever, since I find all of these extremely fun and I for one have tried them all. They work to a certain extent, but I have never gotten over 1000 minas out of any of these except lockpicking (when it was a thing).

It should be a double edged sword though. Creating RP for both players and not just profit for the villain. The reason we don't see people robbed in daylight on our streets is because of the dangers that are increased in doing so. As it is now, If a villain robs you IC, they can come with nothing to lose, not even their lives....no risk, all reward.

I'll have to disagree with the rest of your statement though. There are Certainly better ways to create an income stream for a villain than robbery. As Ben Stated, Burglary, Counterfeiting, Political Corruption, Kidnapping, Even imposing as a tax collector, extortion as  a guard, bribery....These are all methods of income that a villain can use. It just takes a little more thought and effort. Something we ask all villains to expend for the sake of all our RP.

This method is only effective if people aren't given a chance to whine OOCly about it. Everyone has an obligation to provide fun RP. Some of the people I've seen, it isn't a good source of money. Never tried it, but the point is that I wouldn't try it.

You need to find the right people then, true some are newer players and will ruin the villainous RP, but there are plenty of veteran players who would give you a good time, even if they don't spill their minas as easily as you'd like. The point of the profession in lotc isn't to actually make any minas, as items, minas and even homes are not terribly important and can be lost in a moment of RP rather your online or not.

It's the RP you engage in while doing the profession that makes it worthwhile.

Which is why this big push to free up resources is happening, to take away that aspect of "gotta have minas to RP", this way anyone can go gather the resources they need in a short amount of time, then RP the way they would like too.

Also, perhaps try the political corruption route again if you still want minas, You don't have to be the "supreme evil" for it to pay off for you, only seen as evil by one side or the other, perhaps even worshiped at the same time. -Just ask Syrio

I thought we were trying to discuss what professions give you minas in the branch of doing evil things.