Imprints: Emotions Of The Dead

TavernLich

Introduction and Origin:

Many wander the nights of Athera with a slight chill, through Embermoore, as they traversed its murky waters and horrid beings, some created from the conjurations of the mind, others not... The nights when a lonely woman would wander around in the dark swamp out of sheer curiosity are when they come. Spectrals of other's memories, ever haunting the lands of Athera... especially the dark swamp itself...

What Imprints Are:

Imprints are the creations of a dying man's last emotions in life, whether it be happy or sad. Thus the behavior of these Imprints act as a medium for the emotions to "come alive". Meaning this isn't the dead's work, but the strong feeling after their death. These Imprints may never behave outside their emotional regions, an angered imprint will always be angered and malicious, while a happy (or at least "happy" in death terms) will always remain peaceful or neutral.

Due to the emotion's desire to live, the imprints have evolved from an average ghost to a strange hollowed "person." At this form they are called the Imprinted. However this "person" would be extremely fragile, as death runs through their very essence. These "people" however cannot always retain this form, sometimes jumping from ghost to "man" and vice versa. With this occasional swapping of forms comes a terrible weakness, if they were to suddenly be torn from their body to the spirit plane and be Imprints again, their Imprinted Body would remain as it was, on the exact place where you left it, meaning it would appear to be on the ground, unconscious or asleep. This is to prevent people from suddenly and "luckily" get out of a fight.

Appearance:

Imprints: Being that they aren't the dead nor are controlled by them, take the form of an animal in the spirit plane (as I like to call it). Their appearance usually depicts their purpose or emotion. An angered spectral may be a wolf or hawk, and so forth. Also, with them being in the spirit world, their interaction with people and the living are extremely limited, a few whispers or sentences is what these beings at this form can do at most.

Imprinted: These "people" are what the emotions take into account the most. With the Imprinted body they can interact with the physical plane (as I like to call it). These beings all appear almost lich-like or a person ravaged by disease. With the formation of a new body, these beings can perform magic and wield a blade like any other. However, with their frail build and health, their may only last so long compared to those actually alive. Meaning be it magic or sword, these beings are much more weaker in terms of stamina and energy. However they can be great with magic or swords, but just can't last as long.

Imprinted bodies are taken from the original body from which the Imprinted came from. For example Billy Bob dies after having a heart attack, he dies angrily because his taters were burned. Soon an Imprint has been created. The Imprint uses Billy Bob's corpse and halts the decomposing process as long as the Imprint resides in the corpse. Once this is done, the body now becomes and Imprinted body. At this point, if the person who died learned magic, their Imprint and the Imprinted body would know that magic(s) and continue to learn that, however they cannot learn new magic.

Upon Death:

Imprint: Imprints de-manifest such as ghosts and however this de-manifestation is them being unnoticed by ALL. Be it ghost or man. Once they manifest, they retain a bit of their memory from before, however not much, at least not much to actually remember.

Imprinted: Once and imprinted has been slain, the Imprint is sent hurling back at the dead's world. At which forth they forget the memories of having their imprinted destroyed (just like a person who recently died and can't remember). This is caused by the stress of being forcefully sent back. However an Imprint must simply re-construct the Imprinted body with all its capabilities before it died, except for the memory of how it got destroyed.

How they Fuel the Bodies:

Imprints fuel the body through themselves, meaning the performance of magic affects them directly, therefore causing the body to weaken and soon, with more and more energy exerted, it begins to fall apart. This fueling applies not only to magic and the like, but also physically. The Imprint is constantly fueling the body with energy, whether that be physical or magical. Once the Imprint runs out of this energy, they are banished from the body until they regain the right amount to once again re-create a copy of that body and manipulate it.

Their Body:

The Imprinted Body always takes the same form upon the Original Death (when the person died), thus meaning muscle mass and overall, well, everything is the same, regardless of how many times they are re-created.

Strengths and Weaknesses:

These creatures, being corrupted by the dead are subject to the weaknesses of the dead.

Weaknesses:

- Gold, gold of all sorts harms these beings like poison, painfully killing them.

- Fragile body, due to their being dead, their body has become corrupted and riddled with physical flaws.

- Holy magic, like any creature of the dark, these beings are harmed by clerics, monks, druids and so forth. 

- The occasional transfer from Imprinted to Imprint.

- May only act on what their emotion does (angry imprint/ imprinted means angry actions)

- As Imprints they are weak to sunlight and de-manifest quickly just like any other spectral. However, as Imprinted, their soul is "sheilded" from the sunlight.

Strengths:

- Already dead, meaning their age cannot be taken into account

- Can do things such as a human would, only they have less energy to do so (an average mage can hurl two or three fireballs without getting too exhausted, however, for an average Imprinted doing three fireballs would cause more exhaustion and the same for one wielding a sword, if not worse).

Red Lines:

- weak and fragile, so no Imprinted suddenly beating an Uruk in a fist fight.

- an Imprint and Imprinted must always use their actions to express their emotions

- going to the spirit world while being in a fight would mean your Imprinted Body would slump to the ground, unconscious, so no teleporting and the likes

*Keep in mind they can have multiple emotions at the same time, but one emotion must always be dominant over the others*

*Also, the Imprinted bodies would look like a very sick or old person, since the decomposing processed is halted, they will look like so, not like liches. Other than this, they are also the much more susceptible to holy magic in their Imprint form rather than their imprinted*

Why I Created Them:

Basically I thought of making a graven but the way they are bound to one specific task, makes (at least to me) RP bland and predictable, then I thought about ghost, but I wanted something that could also interact more physically. Thus I came up with the Imprints and Imprinted, being able to be a ghost (a really weak and useless ghost, but nonetheless a ghost) and also being able to physically interact with the world, also I liked how Gravens had restrictions upon their actions through the use of tasks, but I decided they were to specific and thus I came up with them being constricted to emotions, thus allowing them to perform actions that aren't exactly predictable, yet restricted and filtered.

Keep in mind an Imprinted can do what people do, but only to a lesser extent as mentioned a few times above.

This looks really awesome. I hope it's implemented/accepted. +43

I have a question though. How are the bodies created? Are they sort of "evoked"?

Just how diseased are the bodies, as well? Could it depend on the emotional state? If happy imprints would be far less riddled with faults than angered?

The body is the original body from which the emotion came from, so the person who died would have their body used as a vessel for emotions who wish to live again, this will be added soon.

1st question:

Along with the weaknesses to the dead -- are 'Imprints' damaged by the sun as all other spectral beings? Likeiwse - are they able to be revived at the Cloud Temple?

1st question:

Along with the weaknesses to the dead -- are 'Imprints' damaged by the sun as all other spectral beings? Likeiwse - are they able to be revived at the Cloud Temple?

Imprints being the ghostly version, probably. If they're in a body/imprinted I dont' think they would be affected, due to their "soul" being protected from the sun.

Would this be a playable 'race'? And if it is, would it be a controlled playerbase so it doesn't get horribly trolly and the such?

Of course it would be controlled, however, depending on how people like it and react to it... I may make it so anyone can play it but they must use an application, lore needs to be leashed not caged.

The diseases are all the same, however each Imprinted is different from another, even if they share the same emotions. For example, an angered one would do pranks, but another angered Imprint could just like to kill. It all depends on how strong the emotions are and if there are other emotions conflicting with their main one.

I only +1 if it's accessible by everyone not self entitled snowflakes.

I only +1 if it's accessible by everyone not self entitled snowflakes.

Pssh! I intend on making this well spread through out the community, I hate snowflakes! But I also don't want people trolling around with this... thus I will try to appease everyone, if the community wants it to be for all, so be it. If they don't then it won't. Snowflakes aren't punny... (pun intended)

1st question:

They are corrupted directly... I don't think the monks would even allow them to set foot in the cloud temple. If you read, you would see that when the imprints die they de-manifest and manifest much like ghosts and for the Imprinted bodies, they would just be copied by the Imprint.