Heartfire [Magic...?]

Hanrahan

Forward

This is a repost of an old magic idea thread. It was never accepted, but it was never denied. It was simply never looked at by any LM. Therefor, I think with new lore un-constraints, it's due for another swing as I think the original material (Completely written by Edgar Tarus, an ex LOTCer now) is brilliant, well thought out and brilliantly written. It may be a little outdated, but the stance still remains the same. (Also, I do hope for an Adunian resurgence - currently there are two possible people who could use it, but I hope more will show, so it's not just a hyper-niche magic.)

I hope this time around the various teams can take the time to look it over and appraise it, and thank you for the time in advance.

Heartfire

(Restricted Magic)

An Overview

Heartfire is the answer to clerical magic for the Old Faith. It is classified as a type of divine magic because it draws upon the powers of the Three; more specifically it draws upon Thronn the Shadow, who gave humanity this power in the first place. A person who can summon Heartfire has no typical characteristics as in Thronn’s nature this is also true. The powers will only harm those of evil origin, not those with evil traits however. It will only harm a lich, death knights, the Undead, Wraiths, Shades, and the Black Scourge, because Thronn gave humanity this gift in the hopes that they would have a fighting chance to fight the Undead in Aegis, but not just the Undead. He hoped it would later be used to face all evil. In lore, it wasn’t properly developed in time to save the North, but the Undead won and the practice was lost.

Heartfire’s power is directly derivative of two factors- you’re strength and commitment to the faith, and you’re strength and commitment to yourself. This means you are empowered the closer you are with the Three. This doesn’t mean you must follow them necessarily, however, you have their favor by upholding tenets that the Old Faith follows; Just because you believe in them doesn’t entitle you to this requirement.
Similarly, your commitment to yourself revolves around personal character and strength. People whom have high-esteem for themselves and are courageous are more capable than someone who is squeamish, cowardly, or doubtful. The closer you with the three directly impact how you’re able to handle evil targets, such as the Undead, Liches, etc. This is because despite how much you may hate or love them, they are their enemies first, and yours second. The more resolve and courage you have, the more you are able to support yourself and those around you. You do, however, need both to cast in the first place.

In order to use start casting these sort of magic’s though one needs an innate understanding of the Three.
There are distinctive ways to meditate and pray. The actual techniques come in visions or revelations. One could interpret them however; divine providence, hallucinations, visions, brilliance; however the techniques are always the same for everyone. They always have the same fundamental requirements, processes, and outcomes.

The process usually is displayed in a sort of fire or through things that seem typical of fire (smoke, warmth, light). It seems to have the typical appearances of fire, and it doesn’t stray into colors (green, blue, and red, white, black) but a particularly powerful Heartfire user may have gold specks and tinges in the flames. Heartfire does not burn objects or people like typical fire. It can’t be used to set a building a flame or light a torch. It acts essentially as a visible representation of our spirits and divine energies, essentially, to display the power being used.

There is one important thing to remember though. Theoretically, a God may always grant more power, therefore, you are receiving infinite power. Your body however cannot physically or mentally or magically maintain and contain that much raw energy though. You may always ask for more power, but, if you ask for too much, anything can happen. You could ask for all of God’s power and be shred from existence theoretically (practically, no). You’d never get the chance to use it and it seems unlikely though a God would trust you with all of his power. There are signs to show your vessel is in decay though. It’s
thought that literally the power is burning out your soul from its shell. As such, signs of bodily decay are as follows:

Fire in the eyes and loss of the ability to speak, which are the gate ways to the soul, which show distress spiritually.

Scorching of clothes, skin, missing hair, and coughing smoke which show distress
physically.

Passing out, incoherent, inaudible, incessant chanting, and eerie passivity show distress mentally.

The act of one practitioner of Heartfire healing or reinvigorating another user is called rekindling. This is a technique that will be addressed later, however, aside from visiting a shrine to Thronn and
reinvigorating yourself at it, this is the only way to restore your strength and continue to cast. This means that there is power in numbers amongst Heartfire users; however, one can only be rejuvenated so often based off of his Heartfire prowess.

Guidelines

A T1 User is still bound to the constraints of being able to cast in the first place. Projecting any type of
fire is strenuous and difficult.  At first, it wouldn’t be able to be used to affect anyone outside of themselves. This is good because it grants them a grace period to experiment with the
effects on Heartfire on people and others. As goes:

Edgar ventures along a cold path. He rubs his arms and hands together; however, it seems that the cold is of some unearthly source…

Edgar closes his eyes and focuses on the fire within him. He exhales once, his breath heavy like fog but warm like fire.

Edgar draws upon his inner-flame to warm himself against the cold. He finds his shivers gone and can move through the snow unhindered. Edgar coughs smoke though, rubbing his mouth afterwards. His sleeve has soot on it.

Simple acts for a T1 become less so at T2, at least when applied to one self. This allows for one to explore their abilities more and experimentation. But, a T2 caster does have the option to direct it outwards on a foe, however, it isn’t always effective. A T2 caster is not capable of harming a member of the Scourge for instance, however, if one were to charge at him he could throw a jet of Heartfire to trip him, or blind him, or stun him for a moment to give him a chance to escape. Similarly, if a member of the Black Scourge were to begin channeling a spell, a T2 caster could interrupt their channeling. This jet may be used to interrupt any manner of spell though mid casting, as the sensation may become so overwhelming that it is distracting (they may roll a d20 to decide if they manage though unless you outright miss).

Edgar is walking along the same road as before. He had prayed at a Shrine to Thronn, and touching its flames, he had felt renewed and his cough had disappeared.

Edgar hears a commotion ahead and runs to investigate. He comes to the scene of a battle, corpses litter the field. Snowfalls on outstretched hands like wilting flowers.

Edgar hears a roar from the side though. An armored figure bull rushes him and sends him toppling backwards. Edgar curses. The figure and him rise to their feet.

Edgar can deduce that the armored figure is some sort of a Scourge member, as it seems they won the battle here, and this must be a straggler. He concentrates hard, confident his Heartfire will protect him. He begins to channel Thronn’s energies.

The figure charges at Edgar waving around a large war-cleaver as he approaches. He slams his chest menacingly and moves fast for Edgar, slicing every inch of air as he approaches.

Edgar extends his hand and a streak of flames erupt outward from his palm. As it does, Edgar’s shirt begins to burn on his left arm and the smell of burnt skin fills the air. Edgar grimaces in pain and the streak ends as it were supposed to, taking its toll.

The charging figure is struck about the head. Hitting with the force of a stone, the figure tumbles backwards, heels to the sky, and smacks the ground in a daze. By the time he can regain his composure, he sees Edgar has already gotten a fair distance away and loses interest.

A crucial thing to remember is how your character might react to be charged. They may
feel confident their Heartfire will hold, but, if doubt seeps into their mind while casting, they’ll flop their channeling, and be helpless. Typically this leads to further inability to channel magic. According to the Magic Rules and Application post, “A mage who is T3 can be considered slightly more powerful with their magic than an armored and trained soldier.” (Supremacy, Magic Rules 16) This holds true to a Heartfire user, but, it more equivocates to a Scourge foot soldier. By this point a T3 caster can deal damage to a Lich, or Undead, or Scourge alike. The Heartfire user may now conjure a jet of flames to harm their enemies of aiding their allies.

Offensively, to any of the evil based targets that would be affected by Heartfire, the
damage is along the lines of:

• Terrible burning sensations that escalate as the power of the wielder increases.

• Loss ofvision and the ability to speak due to the sheer brightness and shock of the flames.

• Top-tier casters cause paralysis and helplessness should the target not escape the fire or persistently linger in the flames.

When used to aid your allies though, Heartfire can be used as a powerful force for a more supportive caster. Heartfire used on the non-evil based targets would:

• Feel existing pain numbed or distributed over a longer period of time.

• Feel an altering of their mood, uplifting thoughts and inspiring hope and courage
    alike.

• Burns and lingering wounds (festering, poisoned, and tainted, of evil-origin, alcohol in the blood even) would be closed and the blood would be cleansed.

• Top-tier Heartfire casters may heal blindness, deafness, muteness, etc.

It is important to know though, when doing healing-role-play, a Heartfire user isn’t the number one battlefield surgeon. They may alter pain and stop bleeding; they may close wounds and cleanse the body, but they cannot stop things like cancer, organ failure (unless it is caused by something that may be cleansed or a wound), chronic or constant problems that have been felt since birth (excluding things impairing the sense). They may not magically reset bones but they may mend tendons and muscle at a hefty-toll.

The advances between T4 and T5 are merely advancements towards power. T4 is a stepping stone for the caster towards T5. It merely marks a drastic increase in their abilities from T3. While they were just getting their grips at on the magic at T3, possibly able to cast a few bursts of fire before beginning to drain themselves or hurt themselves, at T4 they may cast markedly more. A T4 caster could take on two or three of the lesser evil enemies (grunt, foot soldier-types) and perhaps go toe to two with a higher-tier evil (a real Undead, for instance. Someone capable of casting magics themselves) but that is largely based off of their skill and intelligence.

At T5 the Heartfire caster has become in tune with their own emotions and secure in their connection with Thronn. The power that Thronn is willing to grant them is great, and while the
toll taken on the user’s body can be great, they recover from these types of injuries and conditions quickly though. They understand all the techniques associated with Heartfire and are capable of manipulating its effects on enemies and allies to a finer degree.

Overall, the skillset that comes with being a Heartfire user makes one a potent offensive and defense support mage. Flexible on and off the battlefield, whoever controls Heartfire shows self-control and holds themselves in high esteem. With their strong connection to Thronn, they are well suited to ward away evil things and vile, noxious poisons, chemicals, and other such toxins at any opportunity.

Red Lines

• Using Heartfire to try to kill or harm a non-Scourge, Lich, Undead, etc.

• Not roleplaying any of the adverse effects that casting brings on you.

• Not visiting a shrine to Thronn or another caster to reinvigorate.

• Not reflecting your self-esteem in your casting. It revolves on you!

BIG ONE:

Not sticking to your alignment!!! Thronn is every sort of alignment (lawful, neutral, chaotic, good, neutral, and evil, any combination of those). He’s the embodiment of all characteristics. Essentially, take an alignment and stick to it, because breaking your personal codes / acting unlike yourself causes weakness.

Greetings!

I'm going to offer a few amendments to this, despite it not being directly your lore there isn't anything against you editing it to meet these potential changes.

1) Bring it up to date! This is referencing all sorts of old magic system items that no longer hold relevance on the server, change it to meet the different expectations!

2) Specify the power sources in much greater detail, Thronn sounds cool on paper and yet we hardly know anything about him. Is he an Aengul? Daemon? Elaborate!

3) Perhaps throw together a spell list, what this can do is very mixed within the writing and it's difficult to pick out it's capabilites. It isn't a hard task and yet makes our lives slightly easier!

Thanks,

Pandan

Awesome, and thank you for the input! I'll get right to it. :D

Keep in mind this was strictly guild locked, and with Vaerus I believe being the only student currently alive I would like you to contact me if you are changing anything at all.

You didn't even write this, nor did you ask Ilum for permission to repost it.

1. (Completely written by Edgar Tarus, an ex LOTCer now)

Towards both Bagley and Vae - One of you is a banned player, and the other has cut his ties IC and OOC with Adunia as a subrace. You're don't care about this, you only care about it to throw a wrench in the gearworks because you disdain any action I do to make this a thing, which /I/ think, is toxic behavior.

2. Even if I did want to contact him, A) I doubt he'd care B) He's almost always offline C) He left LOTC like 5 months ago.

3. I /am/ working on it, so don't nuke this thread yet.

But I'm not a banned player, and I do, infact, still play an Adunian. It's also not your lore to repost, and you could have easily contacted one of the people who assisted him in writing and originally was going to wield the magic, like Vaerus.

I find intellectual copyright quite interesting on this site because really, no one owes the original author anything. When it isn't an accepted thing though it does kindof hold some of the original owner's copyrights. But really... not.

Content Ownership 
By uploading any content to The Lord of the Craft, you are handing the copyright ownership rights to us, and permitting us to use that content in other products and/or on the same product as we wish.

This includes, but is not limited to: characters, character names, biographies, lore, images created by yourself and anything created in the video game 'Minecraft. Any content not created by yourself, but uploaded by yourself should be fully credited to the original owner. We do not take responsibility for the content that you upload, therefore, any copyright infringement in your content is your own issue, not the issue of The Lord of the Craft, 

So let's all just carry on. There is a courtesy that could have been done to the original writers, but you're all just cogs in the ideas machine of LotC, so really that courtesy has no value except unrequired kindness.

... Um... you said this never got accepted? Then why was it that when I was RPing as a ghost I found somebody who said they were using this magic? I only read some of this because my lil bro kept messing with meh. This is quite well written and I do believe their is no form of copywright on this. I do so very much hope this gets accepted. * looks to Elinor "Yo Eli! After you post this were gonna go tourture somebody!" * Elinor grabs the post "Ok."

-snip-

This was used when an old magic rule was in place, and as it has now changed it may no longer be used in role-play.  Just saying, I personally did not accuse anyone of copyright and only asked that I would be contacted as I have been using this magic type for a very long time.  'Nyways, it is all sorted and currently being worked on to be updated.

Unfortunately this lore has been  [Denied]

There are a few reasons behind this decision and like I have done with others I'll state my personal opinion along with what other LM's have presented.

For myself, this offered nothing new. It's abilities were very generic to the already existent clerical magic and it failed to diversify itself. On the server we want to see content that will really add something to peoples RP instead of just repeating what is present, lore is written not just to benefit ones own by a larger group as a whole. Atop of that I feel the 'power source' behind this magic is rather unexplained and could do with further, more reasonable expansion. I really did like the basis for this lore and even offered criticism a week or so ago, with some work I feel this can be something really nice.. Just.. Diversify more!

Others opinions tended to follow that of mine, feeling it was just too much a mimic of the already existent clerical magic. 

Thanks for submitting it, any further qualms can be sent through a forum PM to myself or other LT members.

- Pandan & the LM's.