Runesmithing Ammendment

Lima

I just found out that through all the confusion reguarding the runesmithing lore aproval, nothing was written about learning other magics. This thread was made to try and correct that and other issues.

The following piece of lore is specifically designed to limit and stop over powered characters or items from being created through Runesmithing. The magic is already plenty powerful; I wrote it with the full knowledge that used well it could be a potent magic to say the least.

• No other magic but golemancy can be learned with the magic. 
  • The Yemekar rune can not be applied on any man portable devices but a hammer. 

I had thought of this as factual, and all pre-exiting Runesmiths had treated this as absolute and undeniable fact. Both issues address major imbalances that can be heavily exploited in a manner that makes ''god characters'' something that I woefully do not want to exist. 

I as the chief writer, and I can amass 4 other contributors in the production of the magic to confirm, this was always intended to be in the writeup. When the magic was re-written it was seen as a direct inheritor to 501warheads writeup where no other magics but golemancy could be learned. This was lost, though still treated as factual due to apparent failures in the writeup process. 

These are being Fixed now.

Being salty about Ski getting it? Huh.

2 minutes ago, ShameJax said:

Not really. I don't mind him having the magic at all. I was about to teach Mordew.

I do care about void magics being paired with it. 

I was the primary editor/proof reader/typo fixer, and I actually specifically remember a case where I mentioned to Lima that you could basically use runesmithing to learn/create any other magic. He told me that wasn't allowed so that's what I've assumed since.

I can definitely see having an excess of magics as being an issue of balance and realism. 

Runesmithing is capable of a wide range of things, as is. Regarding elements and archetypes, to my mind enchanters are required to learn the magics relevant to a enchantment if they want to enchant accordingly.

However, as runesmiths are exempt from that requirement, having access to a whole plethora of other magics provides for the possibility of circumstances arising which border on the ridiculous and overpowered. 

36 minutes ago, ShameJax said:

Sorry, but what does this have to do with anything? Are you going to provide something of any substance there or just make some 'witty' one-liner? 

I kinda thought this was a given. We wrote the magic and based it around the fact that it removes the ability to connect to the void. This is a fact. No salt about it every one of the creators agreed upon this.

The question is does it provide enough roleplay to justify inhibiting the ability to use the void? With druidism, clericalism and fi (maybe more) you have a lot to roleplay about your magic. Does runesmithing do that same thing or does it leave the user with the magic and an empty pocket of what they should be doing with it.

druids use it for worship and healing taint, maintaining nature.

clerics are sought out for healing, cleansing lands, worship, fighting the dark beings.

fi are purifying things while hunting dark mages and entities, using their own souls to hunt and capture other dark beings to fuel their magic.

What does runesmithing accomplish? Totally playing devil's advocate here but I don't know much about it. Is it equal to the guild-locked subtypes or is it like golemancy that while doing a lot is still open for various character builds and personality types.

4 hours ago, EPICBEAST6209 said:

I kinda thought this was a given. We wrote the magic and based it around the fact that it removes the ability to connect to the void. This is a fact. No salt about it every one of the creators agreed upon this.

As one of the creators, I agreed on this. I honestly already thought these were things set in stone, is it not? 

6 hours ago, BrandNewKitten said:

The question is does it provide enough roleplay to justify inhibiting the ability to use the void? With druidism, clericalism and fi (maybe more) you have a lot to roleplay about your magic. Does runesmithing do that same thing or does it leave the user with the magic and an empty pocket of what they should be doing with it.

druids use it for worship and healing taint, maintaining nature.

clerics are sought out for healing, cleansing lands, worship, fighting the dark beings.

fi are purifying things while hunting dark mages and entities, using their own souls to hunt and capture other dark beings to fuel their magic.

What does runesmithing accomplish? Totally playing devil's advocate here but I don't know much about it. Is it equal to the guild-locked subtypes or is it like golemancy that while doing a lot is still open for various character builds and personality types.

We have a very clear objective set IC, at least within certain communities of Runesmiths. The issue we faced for the most part was... well, our ill reputation with the Grand Kingdom after a certain series of tragedies. The Runesmiths (atleast the Oathcast affiliated) had very set in stone beliefs they were components of a ''clean world'' where no aenguldaemonic presence was truly meant to be there.  They strove to achieve such, and in general our interactions with such groups often pressed a deal with debilitating their presence. (Note: Our last interaction with the clerics saw us making tricky bargaining and information searching that left the Caliphate Clergy of clerics in a very awkward spot.)

In general we lost a lot of purpose after the murder and discontinuation of all dwarven lore events and the like at the end of Athera. When the magic was last produced we saw ourselves again with a Pyrrhic victory because in reality we had no implementation event and the Hall of Urguan was never going to be completed. We would never find the history of the Empire of Khorvad (It had been lost OOC aparrently, I was in a chat with a few LT consulting me on how the dwarves even existed at the time because they didn't know and I only knew from lore books.)

Regardless; as a rune smith you can maintain a very active role. Apart from the ability to produce feats of architecture (though thats in the ropes because we're still trying to understand if the construct dialect was voided by the LT.) You may have remembered my dwarf's very active role in Haelun'or utilising Anbella contract runes. The magic's interesting and can provide a large array of utility for those that seek to use it effectively, plenty capable of many many feats and doing so in a active manner and not just a ''I produce shiny items here you go see you next month for a MAT discussion about how you're using it.'' 

It ultimately isn't to be paired with void magic, or indeed any other type of magic. It had never intended to be so to any extent, and I can see producing some incredibly over powered characters if a caster is able to pair it with other magics and repeatedly utilise runes on the fly for themselves. The magic had been written to orientate towards dwarves; who traditionally shy away from voidal in all but one clan. This is also paired that we thought this was a factual basis that people knew, and should have known and set in stone. We've never said that someone can use void magic (or any other type of caster magic) with our magic before.  

As for the Yemekar rune, its only fair to place it on hammers. Trust me, putting it on a sword makes the sword a bit stupidly good. We had considered this a OOC convention because most of runesmithing is based on OOC convention for power discussion between us as a fair and friendly group co-operating as a community of magic users; since this may not be the case any more we're going to need to restrict ourselves more heavily in a stronger and more formal manner as we had done so before in a informal manner through skype chats. 

All I'm gunna say here is that several months ago, long before there was any inkling of me getting runesmithing (hell, I had different plans for another magic Laethis would likely try to learn, which would be number 5), you and I talked this through on TS. After about 30 seconds of disagreement when I told you the LT had decided to make runesmithing possible with other non-deity magics (a previously ambiguous matter), you seemed to decide you didn't really care and we went on to talk about other things. It was one of the reasons why I considered pursuing this once I realized there was some chance of me learning, as I felt there would be no backlash from the runesmith playerbase when the person who posted the lore basically told me "eh, whatever." Perhaps you genuinely don't remember this conversation, Lima, but I find that hard to believe, as I can't really see you forgetting a conversation in which you were informed of what you'd perceive as a change to your lore.

As for the merits of the lore, I'll save that for discussion within the lore team. Needless to say, if the team decides to pass this lore, I'll follow it accordingly.

Here's the thing. The runesmiths are bound by a ritual before they even begin to learn the art of it (Which I'm sure you're aware of) This ritual binds you to the Aengul who is currently almost dead and is using the last of it's very existence to keep the magic available. The ritual binds your soul to a pair of runic tools. This means that half of your soul is no longer part of you. Take for example the Ascended. At the cost of giving Ariel their lives they can perform Ascended magic but at the cost of no longer being able to perform void magic. This was something that was laid out in Runesmithing from the very start. And we wrote the lore around that fact. Imagine how powerful something like earth evocation and runesmithing would be. slapping runes into stone on the fly and suddenly activating it withing a matter of seconds. It's not something that the magic was written for. Weeks of thinking and writing went into this lore in order to perfect it. And I'd appreciate it if the lore would remain the way it was intended to be.

Thanks

~Epicbeast6209 (Yeulf Oathcast)

1 hour ago, EPICBEAST6209 said:

Here's the thing. The runesmiths are bound by a ritual before they even begin to learn the art of it (Which I'm sure you're aware of) This ritual binds you to the Aengul who is currently almost dead and is using the last of it's very existence to keep the magic available. The ritual binds your soul to a pair of runic tools. This means that half of your soul is no longer part of you. Take for example the Ascended. At the cost of giving Ariel their lives they can perform Ascended magic but at the cost of no longer being able to perform void magic. This was something that was laid out in Runesmithing from the very start. And we wrote the lore around that fact. Imagine how powerful something like earth evocation and runesmithing would be. slapping runes into stone on the fly and suddenly activating it withing a matter of seconds. It's not something that the magic was written for. Weeks of thinking and writing went into this lore in order to perfect it. And I'd appreciate it if the lore would remain the way it was intended to be.

Thanks

~Epicbeast6209 (Yeulf Oathcast)

Thats no longer technically true after 501's lore.