Druidic Shapeshifting

Druidic Shapeshifting is a secretive magic that, for a long time since its creation, was exclusive to the point that it almost went inactive as a magic. Lately, through in-game efforts, the magic has begun efforts at expanding to reach more Druids of experience and dedication to the RP. There has always been a feeling about the current Shapeshifting lore that some of its restrictions are unreasonable and doesn't allow the magic room to expand. Since efforts have begun to revive the magic in-game, I thought this would be a good time to propose a few minor additions and tweaks to the magic.

When the lore was written for Shapeshifting, the server had many mechanic restrictions. Due to this, and due to the fear that Shapeshifting might become an overpowered or metagaming magic, restrictions were written in the lore barring Druids from choosing certain types of animals to Shapeshift into (namely, aquatic animals and flying birds were restricted). The reasoning was purely OOC, due to the restrictions that no players should have the mechanic advantage of flight or water-breathing over other players. Currently, constructs and spectral races have the water-breathing mechanic. Now, I am not proposing that Shapeshifters should be given waterbreathing and/or fly by any means, as Shapeshifters don't need these mechanics to RP the magic, and they also don't receive access to mob-disguise (unless being on a staff team with the appropriate PEX). I am simply making a point that the mechanic restriction which once barred Shapeshifters from choosing birds or aquatic animals is no longer a factor. From an IC, RP, and lore perspective, there is no reasonable sense why the Aspects bar Druids from choosing birds or aquatic animals, either. Therefore, my first proposed alteration of the magic is to remove the restriction of choosing birds/aquatic animals, thus allowing Druids who are introduced to Shapeshifting to be able to choose any animal, whether it be mammal (land or sea), reptile, bird, etc.

As I mentioned, there was an initial fear with this magic that it would become overpowered or bring up issues with metagaming (in cases where a Shapeshifted Druid could eavesdrop on a conversation as a mouse in a window). However, I think it's been proven at this point over the past few years that Shapeshifting has not met this expectation, and the magic has been treated responsibly. Therefore, there are a couple more alterations I wish to achieve with Shapeshifting. Previously and currently, a Shapeshifting Druid is not allowed to use any other of his Druid magic while in his bestial form. This even included the Druidism subtype Nature's Communion, which is the basic and essential form of Druid magic. Without access or progress with Nature's Communion, a Druid is pretty much incapable of performing his magics. Therefore, I propose that while Druids are Shapeshifted, they can still use Nature's Communion to remain connected with Nature and understand other animals - along with this, other non-Shapeshifting Druids would be able to use Nature's Communion with a currently Shapeshifted Druid due to the Druid being in the embodiment of a beast, therefore fitting the criteria of being able to be 'communed' with by other Druids (previously, Druids were incapable of 'communing' with a Shapeshifter in his bestial form, thus raising a red flag that the animal might be unnatural or unfairly and without-reason exploiting the Shapeshifter). Shapeshifters in their bestial form would be able to 'commune' with Nature/other animals, yes, but not with other people. The reverse is true that an attuned Druid is able to use Nature's Communion to commune with the Shapeshifted individual akin to doing so with any other animal. Druidism doesn't allow Druids to use Nature's Communion on other people of the Races, however when a Shapeshifter is in his bestial form, he is thus an animal and no longer a man or woman of a Race.

A tl;dr proposal changelog:

- Remove restriction that bars Druids from choosing certain animals due to mechanic reasons

- Continue to restrict Shapeshifters from having access to fly, water-breathing, or mob-disguise

- Remove restriction that bars Shapeshifted Druids from using their abilities of the Nature's Communion subtype, but allow attuned Druids to use their abilities of the Nature's Communion subtype to 'commune' with a Druid in shapeshifted form

Here is my proposed, altered Shapeshifting lore:

Spoiler

cCeBEEzHUXZru3nqH2VkfLoKCSeF-gz7g-lRzYt6

Shapeshifting

The lore in book format:

~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=)x(=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

[!] The tome is encased by enchanted bark. Its pages are of living wood that only display the words to a Druid with the ability to shapeshift.

(~)= Shapeshifting =(~)

Transcribed from Ancient Elven and the original Shapeshifting tome by Spirit Druid Saviticus

May the Aspects bless he who is deemed worthy to read this tome.

Prologue

Shapeshifting is the ability of being able to physically transform into a bestial form. An ancient art only ever spread by whisper and rumor, it is not as nonexistent as portrayed by the races of Aegis. This secret and sacred power has been gifted only to the most pious and reverent Druids throughout history and is deciphered onto the pages of this single tome for only the choice few to ever lay eyes upon. The knowledge and ability of this gift has been kept only among these Druids, and this has been so since before the Druidic Order was formed.

The only known lore of this sacred art is in this ancient tome, which dates back to the early times of Aegis. The tome's pages were originally scribed in ancient Elven, however a translation to common tongue was added to the tome by the Spirit Druid in Anthos. In common, the tome reads as follows...

Chapter 1

The Origin

How Druids uncovered this ability is said to have involved Cerridwen herself gifting a single Druid with the ability to shift into an animal; she told him of the process that must be completed by the Druid to gain the Aspects’ blessing and to gain the ability to transform. Ever since the encounter, the gift was passed on only to the most pious and devout servants of Nature.

A Druid after attunement must prepare his body and mind to shapeshift. He must survive two daunting tasks and complete a ritual while being watched over by the Aspects themselves. The process is called the Trials of Spirit, as it is a spiritual journey.

Chapter 2

The Trials of Spirit

Acceptance begins the trials as the first task, known as the Task of Acceptance. Cernunnos, Lord of the Hunt, guides the Druid in his journey to find his spirit animal and gain its trust. This animal can be found only by instinct, and may take extended periods of time for the Druid to come across. The Druid will be granted a vision by Cernunnos upon spotting his spirit animal for the first time, assuring him the beast is truly it. After experiencing the vision, the Druid must pray to Cernunnos, asking for watchfulness over himself and his spirit animal as he progresses through the trials. The Druid then must come to fully understand his spirit animal by adapting to its natural ways of living. When the spirit animal finally accepts the Druid as one of its own, only then can the Druid progress onto the next task.

The second task, known as the Task of Strength, is guarded by Nemiisae, the Shadow of Death. The Task of Strength must begin once the Druid has been granted acceptance from his spirit animal. This task forces the Druid to challenge his spirit animal in a quarrel. The spirit animal will accept, feeling only the highest honor to be challenged by the Druid. If the Druid is victorious, he must skin the carcass for its pelts. Nemiisae will then bind the spirit animal’s soul to its pelts, rendering them feasible for the ritual. Finally, the Druid must perform a ceremonial burial for the animal’s remains in tribute to its valor and in honor of Nemiisae.

There is no third task. Instead, a ritual takes its place, known as the Ritual of Change. This ritual must take place inside a Grotto of Cerridwen - a secret shapeshifting cavern. The ritual requires the presence of the Druid seeking the ability to shapeshift along with a fellow shapeshifter. The ritual consists of the shapeshifter laying the pelt over the seeking Druid. Once this is done, the shapeshifter will read a passage displayed to them from the shapeshifting tome verbally-a passage displayed in ancient Elven which is hidden from sight by the tome unless in a grotto of Cerridwen during this ritual. The two will then bow their heads in prayer and wait. If the Druid is prepared, Cerridwen will bless him, and the Druid will begin to transform into his spirit animal. The pelt of the animal will be absorbed into the Druid's skin during the transformation process, and the essence of the spirit animal will combine with that of the Druid. The first transformation will last for one whole day. Once the time has passed, the Druid will shift back into humanoid form and the pelt will have completely dissolved into the Druid's skin, making him look as he did before the process of transformation.

After the Ritual of Change, the Trials of Spirit have been completed. The Druid has successfully been granted a bestial form by the blessing of the Aspects, and he may enter this form as he pleases. The Aspects will always keep a close eye on their blessed Druids, as they hold them most dear.

Chapter 3

Departure

Permanent transformation - rumors say that some of the most honorable Druids may achieve this. This is a choice made by the shapeshifting Druid when he is ready to depart from his humanoid life and to officially leave his service to nature behind. Only the most powerful and most renowned Druids, only Druids that have shown extraordinary piety and devoutness are given this blessing. It is a simple ritual, requiring nothing but the shapeshifter in a Grotto of Cerridwen.

The process is known as the Ritual of Departure, named so as the Druid departs from his humanoid form and Druidic life forever. It is a choice for the Druids who no longer wish walk the land as men or women, but instead another form of nature. For the ritual, the must Druid bow his head once more in this sacred place. The Druid will pray to the Aspects, asking them to transform the Druid once again, but this time forever. If Cerridwen, Cernunnos and Nemiisae deem the Druid worthy of this new life, believe that this particular Druid has made a major positive impact in serving nature, and believe that the Druid has a keen enough relationship with nature, they will give the Druid a permanent transformation.

What if the Druid isn't transformed? Then it is a sign from the Aspects themselves. It can mean many things, and the Druid may never know the true meaning. However, the two most common meanings of a failed transformation are as follows: the Aspects do not believe the Druid is worthy of this honor, or the Druid is far too important to currently leave his service to nature.

Chapter 4

The Grotto of Cerridwen

Each ritual, the Ritual of Change and Ritual of Departure, requires the Druid(s) to be in a Grotto of Cerridwen - a hidden Druidic cavern that must be chosen or created by existing shapeshifters. The process of creating a Grotto of Cerridwen is ceremonial and is known as The Blessing. A group of shapeshifting Druids must enter the grotto and sit together in a circle. In their midst must be an offering to Cerridwen, be it a burning fire, a bouquet of flowers or something else, which they will chant a prayer around. The Druids must then shapeshift together to complete the ceremony. They will know if the ceremony is successful by instinct as the grotto will emit an ambiance of sacredness and holiness upon a successful Blessing. Multiple Grottos may exist throughout the land.

~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=)x(=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

Shapeshifting: The Transformation

The process of transforming from humanoid to animal is a complicated and inexplicable process. It will vary between each race, spirit animal, physical health and how experienced the Druid is. However, once the Druid has shapeshifted once, the process will be repeated each time he transforms. This means that the Druid will become more adept to shapeshifting and more resilient to the pain of the transformation over time.

The transformation will typically take between fifteen and twenty seconds to complete, with the exception of first-time shifters taking up to a minute. Master shapeshifters are known to be able to shift forms almost instantaneously. The process itself varies greatly, depending much on the spirit animal. Some will grow extra limbs or fur, others will unfurl sharp claws and a tail. The amount of pain delivered by transforming will vary, mostly depending on the scale of the transformation.

Shapeshifting: Natural Instinct

In some cases, Druids that have been blessed by the Aspects and have been able to shapeshift for years will often experience a trauma where they have developed characteristics of their spirit animal in their personality. Depending on how severe the trauma is, the Druid may sometimes believe he has shapeshifted while he is still humanoid. Other characteristics such as these listed could also be adopted from their spirit animal:

• Rat - Become disinterested in others around them, find shiny objects distracting.

• Mouse - Timid and shy, may be distracted by intriguing smells, and finds fear of larger creatures.

• Dog - Overly playful, tends to become overly protective and loyal.

• Wolf - Is rather curious and paranoid, find bones distracting for some odd reason.

• Tiger - Territorial and aggressive. Tend to become overly protective of loved ones.

• Leopard - Feels prideful and vanity, sometimes loses interest in their original purpose or goal while shifted.

• Cheetah - Challenging and aggressive, weakness to the chase.

• Gy'waka - Power struck, prideful, and often longing feeling to hunt or be in the jungle. May turn on friends.

• Snake - Often paranoid and hateful, sometimes speak in a lisp which exaggerates the letter 's'.

• Squirrel - Fearful at the sight of danger, often longing the feeling of freedom or to climb.

• Toad - Tend to jump when trying to move swiftly, sometimes speak in a deeper voice.

• Rabbit - Very aware which may cause fatigue, may chitter while eating or during long conversations.

• Goat - Often grumpy and stubborn; persistent until goals are achieved.

• Deer - May become timid and often precautious.

• Bird - May be jittery, extra-social, and a diligent builder and guardian.

Any similar animals to those listed above would likely suffer from the same characteristics.

Shapeshifting: Extra Information

• The Druid will remain shapeshifted for about one hour each transformation. After the Druid has shifted back to his humanoid form, he will feel extremely tired and fatigued. As time goes on with the gift, the Druid will become more experienced and adaptive to it. Master shifters have been able to stay shifted for even up to a day.

• Shapeshifting grants the worthy Druid a second form. The Druid is able to enter this form at will, although will suffer from fatigue for staying shifted too long or shifting too frequently.

• There are no flying or aquatic spirit animals. (Removed restriction)

• Druids are unable to perform any other form of Druid magic while shapeshifted, except for Nature's Communion, as it is the basic form of Druidism necessary to perform any other form of Druidism.

• Non-Shapeshifted Druids are capable of using Nature's Communion to 'commune' with Shapeshifted Druids, just as they would with any other animal

• In order for the Ritual of Change (that is the ritual which finally allows the Druid to shapeshift) to take place, the Shapeshifting Tome is required, as it displays a sacred scripture required in order for the Aspects' gift to be bestowed.

• The Druid's body will remain in shapeshifted form if he dies while shapeshifted.

• The only distinction between a shapeshifted Druid and a regular animal is that the shifter's eyes in animal form will gleam an emerald green.

Written by cmack1028 and Callax (Werbles)

I like a majority of these changes but I do not stand by losing the ability to communicate with people change.  What possible reason would they lose their ability to understand common tongue yet regain the rest of their senses?  I don't like that one bit.  Everything else seems peachy though.  Also I'm obliged to say we should incorporate a change on how the tome is necessary to facilitate the completion of the trial, and instead create something less.....hoardable?

As a none druid i support this. Generally these changes you want are none combative amd really make sense from a lore standpoint. Though I personally would want to see it a bit more and allow druids to strive to learn it. I as a none druid have only interacted and learned about shapeshifting on one occasion ever. Its a cool ability that i have always supported its addition ideas but think general players should be exposed to it to a degree so they can get a feel about it. 

As the original lore writer, I support these proposed changes. Shifted druids should be allowed to use nature's communion to commune with other shifted druids and other beings of nature, and non-shifters should not be able to tell whether an animal is "natural" or not simply by its ability or inability to commune with it.

And yes, originally the lore restricted aquatic and flying animals to make the magic less "powerful" but in reality it makes absolutely no sense looking back at it now, and if other creatures have one or both of the mentioned abilities, shapeshifters should be able to as well.

(@Arik) As for making the magic more accessible, I'm definitely for it if done properly. I liked the idea of the magic requiring an artifact such as the tome because it allows us to maintain and watch over the magic with ease, however I do agree that we've hoarded it over the last three years of its existence. We should try to come up with a system that makes the magic more user-friendly but not open enough that one user can go off and try to make their own shifter clan and completely disregard the original purpose of the lore.

4 hours ago, cmack1028 said:

-snip-

Isn't there currently a "shape circle"?  Comprised entirely of shapeshifters that determine who gets the book with much prejudice?

As for accessibility, the book is a big problem imo.  I'd rather the book be RPly tranformed into a ritual at a special altar that can be built.  It'd have to meet certain requirements.  Like, have some form of animal hide, blood, etc.  Ritualistic stuff.  

Please keep the comments relevant and disregard past RP issues. This is a lore proposal.

As for making the magic more accessible - I agree very much with Booklight and with Cmack. And as I mentioned in the first few sentences of this lore proposal, the magic is underway to reaching more people. By no means will it become something that can spread like wildfire across the Druids. It is meant to sort of be a "rite of passage" like thing for Druids who have devoted their time to the Aspects, Druidism, etc. That's an entirely in-character traditional aspect of this lore, however, and also not essential to this thread. Although, I do believe that in order for a magic to be able to expand with changes, it should also be able to be used sufficiently and by more than just a couple associated people - and I can't iterate enough that this is happening to the fullest extent capable in RP right now, but it will also remain in RP.

Thank you, Booklight, especially and so far, for your feedback.

DgGwGSL.png

Guys, top idea here. How about, instead of just a single tome, there's like... A rare flower that blooms every so often and it's the tome!? And, like it makes sense, cause like... Magic and stuff.

I like the revision.

This has my full support. Lore-wise, it makes much more sense. I think this has probably needed to be done for quite awhile, truly. I hope to see it passed.

+1. I'm down for making shapeshifting more easily accessible. Everyone knows about it OOCly, and shedding all the super-exclusivity would make RPing it more fun. Also, why couldn't we transform into sea and air animals sooner?

+1 Wonderfully written, Callax. I fully support this.

Going to come back to this with a level head.

In my opinion, the worst thing to ever happen to shapeshifting was the requirement of the tome. Whoever controls the tome controls the entire subtype, who gets taught, who gets included, everything. When you think about it, it's absurd. As far as I'm aware, it's the single most exclusive piece of magic lore in the entire game, and it lends itself poorly to LOTC.

Revise to only allow a tier five or four Communion Druid the ability to shift and grandfather in anybody who can shift now who isn't. That would allow us to reward faithful Druid RPers with a cool, unique magic while keeping it inclusive and obtainable. It shouldn't be a popularity contest, it should be a matter of time and dedication, and no one person or group should have utter control over who gets to do what on this server. In its current state, any old idiot could destroy the book and nobody would ever be able to learn shapeshifting ever again because SOMEHOW from what I have been lead to believe you cannot even transcribe it. What?

The forums aren't letting me edit my post. Secondary thoughts:

-The one day shift restriction, let's be honest, is a bit dumb to even include at this point when we know in practice that nobody cares and that nobody ever will. It also seems odd that a Druid can one day max out at one day as a master, and the next choose to remain shifted forever. There SHOULD be a limit to make the choice to permanently shift a heavy one, but that limit should make sense in the context that changing forever is within somebody's power.

-A Druid who has learned to shapeshift has learned the in's and out's of every behavior and instinct of their animal. It stands to reason that one could very easily trick a Druid into believing they were communing with an actual animal. I skimmed the submission again and didn't see anything about it on my second pass. Was that bit edited out or did I misread it the first time? Either way, that's my thought.

Agree with the rest. It can be hard to roleplay effectively as a shifted animal without being able to communicate with other people, and the result can be dissatisfying. Allowing shifters to communicate can only add depth to RP

The only thing that I think would be better is that, instead of the shifted animal's eyes are always emerald green, perhaps it reflects off of the aura that the druid in question has. Some have their druid with differing colours as it represents the character on another deeper, symbolic way. Other than that, there's no real reason for it to be pushed back more, unless I am somewhat blind to a mistake that's kicking me in the face.

This lore has been Accepted.